Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecticut -- Latest News on Tesla's efforts in the State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can not respond knowledgably on this as I did not register the car, they did. I am going to assume it all went to CT. If only part of it did, shame on CT legislature for not allowing sales in CT. Hopefully that will change this spring. Whether it is a state tax credit, rebate, incentive is immaterial. I assumed it was as prior to purchase information from multiple sources said CT had an EV purchase 'benefit' / subsidy / credit / rebate whatever. Given federal was a credit it was reasonable to assume CT had a similar plan. It looks like CHEAPR is a Power company plan not governmental. I won't actually know if CT government has an EV incentive, for certain, until I file taxes end of month. Unless, of course, somebody definitively knows, as opposed to presumes.

Michigan gets zero sales tax on Michigander's Tesla purchases in Ohio and Illinois.

Did you fill out the NY form? If not, Tesla paid sales tax to NY.
Did you get NY temp tags? Is so Tesla paid sales tax to NY.
At the risk of getting into the really ugly minutia, the NY transit tag was designed for moving an unregistered vehicle from point A to point B. It's not designed for a while we make your specialty plate. When we moved from MA to CT and went thru the hell that is the Willimantic DMV, we were handed the next plates of the top of the pile. The only time I had temp plates is when I wanted special plates not in the pile. Coincidentally, my wife's car and mine got sequential plates. The transit plates were given by NY DMV, rather from a pile of them Tesla had on hand. No money changed hands in the process of getting them. If you read the back of the transit plate it shows a place to fill in Point A and Point B.

Again, this is the real minutia but I don't believe any Tesla employee went to a NY DMV. I do know they went to a CT DMV 2 months after I took delivery. In CT the DMV allows one to only register 2 cars per trip to the counter, if you have 40 to register it takes 20 trips to the back of the line. They outsource, to a third party, registering the cars. In my case they took 60+ days to transfer my registration from my trade-in to the Tesla. I am not at all convinced I couldn't take the MVPA, showing what was taken as sales tax, to a CT DMV and transferred the registration myself the next day. With other cars I've purchased I've simply taken the plates off the old and moved them to the new, keeping the bill of sale and old registration with me until I could transfer. Where they already took money to register/transfer and I had already been in Mt Kisco 4 hrs cooling my jets I just signed whatever was put in front of me! It was 2 1/2 hrs to get there and 2 1/2 hours to get back. The only good out of it were the wheels I had coming back and letting EAP do most of the work. I was there at 4:10pm for a 4:30pm reserved slot didn't get processed until 9:30, I didn't get home until 11:30pm. I'd guess the paperwork and physically taking delivery were, best case, 1 hr.

Last edited:
So with the new pricing on the M3D LR today, it should be eligible for CHEAPR (MSRP under $50k, $2k rebate) and also 6.35% Tax rate?

My delivery in 12/2018 (rough numbers):
M3D LR
MSRP: $53,000
Tax 7.75%: $4107.50
Fed Tax Refund: -$7500
CT CHEAPR: $0
Total after rebate: $49607.50

Current CT Deliveries could see this pricing:
M3D LR
MSRP: $49,900
Tax 6.35%: $3168.65
Fed Tax Refund: -$3750
CT CHEAPR: -$2000
Total after rebate $47318.65

Reactions: JWardell
Seriously, what country do we live in?

My huge dislike of dealers and the laws they write grows more every day.

Face it dealers, it's over.

And it is not Tesla. It's Amazon.

People don't want to deal with people when buying something.
Just give me a price, let me click buy, and then send it to me.

That is where things are going.

The time where a "dealer" is between you and the seller seeing how much money they can skim off the deal, is over.

CT better get with the times and stop letting dealers run things there like they are some sort of communist party in charge of everything.
you wouldn't happen to be a male under the age of 40? because they were the only ones I saw at Mt. Kisco get quickly assisted and frequently provided a status during my 2 hour wait for my scheduled appointment. I was told 10 days to get a title, not plates. Then I was told I'd get the title, not plates before the expiry, which is tomorrow. Yesterday i was told it will take 90 days. I'm busy today changing appointments and doing errands, as I don't expect I'll be able to drive this car on Monday, by which time I'll regret the purchase of the car, the stock I bought in this company, and probably regret that NiKola Tesla was ever born.....
I picked up my car on Oct 1 at Mt. Cisco. I am over 60 years old. I did not feel I was treated any differently than others around me. it was a very busy day for Tesla and I think they did a credible job making deliveries. I chatted with an even older gentleman and his wife while there. He was picking up his 2nd Tesla and said he had no interest in any other car since he enjoyed his first one so much. Tesla is doing incredible things and I support them all the way. There are a lot of people trying to block their success. I will look to support it.