Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Won a Small Claims Case Against Tesla – A Triumph for Autopark Failure Victims!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, Tesla came to the court. Their main argument was that the car wasn't under autopark control at the time of the crash. However, I presented the car log which demonstrated that the car was controlled by the autopark at the time of the crash. As well, Tesla claimed that autopark is a driver assist feature not automatic parting. The judge asked Tesla why they call it AUTO park then if they claim that it is driver assist. Tesla couldn't explain it.
For my information, how can you obtain the car log that lists when the car is controlled by autopilot / autopark?
Did you have to ask Tesla for that piece of evidence against themselves? Or is there a way to get it by yourself?
Did you match this with a timestamped dashcam clip to prove the damage occurred at the same time? I'd love to read more details about this.

For my information, how can you obtain the car log that lists when the car is controlled by autopilot / autopark?
Did you have to ask Tesla for that piece of evidence against themselves? Or is there a way to get it by yourself?
Did you match this with a timestamped dashcam clip to prove the damage occurred at the same time? I'd love to read more details about this.
Anything is possible in a story of fiction.

Why not reveal:
  1. What state you're in (all states have different small claims limits, procedures)
  2. How much was the claim you won, how much was the total accident damage
  3. Some pics of the damage
hmmm

On the other hand, forum users have nothing to gain by releasing personal details although some TSLA fans like to use that as ad hominem. Where do you live, who do you work for, what's you job title?

The limits are about $3500 to $25000 depending on one's state of residence.

50-State Chart of Small Claims Court Dollar Limits

Last edited:
Reactions: hooty and rlsd
Maybe its a bit different in the USA but here in the UK a firm is not allowed to be represented in a small claims court by a solicitor - its to prevent the David V Goliath syndrome. The company should send a representative or if its a private individual they turn up themselves to present their case, of course a business could send a member of their team that is a solicitor - and many companies have law firms internal to the company (insurance for instance) but the person is there to present their understanding of the circumstances of the case brought against the company and any judge would immediately spot a legally trained person - and would ensure that the complainant isn't harassed or intimidated by them - and the Burdon of proof is on the balance of probabilities. If no one from the company turns up then the complainant automatically wins. - and that happens a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Assuming this is actually real (since the OP joined TMC to make this post), I am surprised that since the appearance is "social media blitz" that the OP would not have also already shared this with various online media, along with proof etc. Right now, this is not much more than a new account making this claim, so if the OP really wants to help people they need to post relevant details so others can attempt to do the same, with their case as a precedent.
Case number and state?

Wow, they must have sent their worst lawyer if they choked at that question! Would have thought they'd at least try parroting all the disclaimers in the user manual that say you need to keep an eye on it and be ready to intervene! Must say I'm very surprised a case like this could be won given said disclaimers, so good for you. Would be interested in more details of the specific fender bender.
Yeah, every single autopark feature out there has a long list of disclaimers especially for this case. It makes it very clear you need to be ready to intervene if the car does something stupid. I can't imagine every automaker out there is liable when the autoparks hits a car. But, that said, I guess good on the OP for winning, regardless. Is it something stupid like a dispute about the naming?
If this is true, Tesla would be foolish not to appeal until all appeal avenues are exhausted. It's unlikely that the OP has the resources to continue and Tesla should not allow precedents to be set
AFAIK small claims courts do not set precedence, as such, many times manufacturers may not even attend, as it's not even worth their lawyer time. Also some courts don't allow lawyers in small claims court, so they just send some employee which may be very poor at making a good legal argument.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: johnnycnote
On the other hand, forum users have nothing to gain by releasing personal details although some TSLA fans like to use that as ad hominem. Where do you live, who do you work for, what's you job title?

The limits are about $3500 to $25000 depending on one's state of residence.

50-State Chart of Small Claims Court Dollar Limits
Some people like to use ad hominem, but it's possible to reveal at least the state so that people can verify any special things apply to that state. There's been prominent people here that posted about small claims victories and they got tons of support:
How to sue Tesla over historical claims

I am no legal expert, but isn't this type of court case a matter of public record? If so, he should provide the state, county and case number.
Yes, it is a public record, except the judgment of the court. The “post and disappear” nature of this thread is a bit strange, but at least we know the case was real.

SUPERIOR
COURT
OF
CALIFORNIA
COUNTY
OF
SANTA
CLARA
MINUTE
ORDER
Denis
Krupennikov
et
al
vs
Tesla
Motors,
Inc.
Hearing
Start
Time:
8:30
AM
23SCO89149
Hearing
Type:
Claim:
Plal

Yes, it is a public record, except the judgment of the court. The “post and disappear” nature of this thread is a bit strange, but at least we know the case was real.

SUPERIOR
COURT
OF
CALIFORNIA
COUNTY
OF
SANTA
CLARA
MINUTE
ORDER
Denis
Krupennikov
et
al
vs
Tesla
Motors,
Inc.
Hearing
Start
Time:
8:30
AM
23SCO89149
Hearing
Type:
Claim:
Plal
How do you google that info? When was the hearing date? What was the case about?

Status of the case is Closed/Inactive. The last event was 5/24/2023. The OP said the court ruled on Sunday 7/02/2023. Not sure all info are correct.
If it was really a ruling that day or near, it's possible the website was not updated yet. I don't think the OP meant the court ruled on 7/2, as it is closed that day. It could be he received a notice in the mail or the ruling came earlier, just that he didn't post it until now.

Since payouts in small claims courts are relatively limited, I don’t think it would be very cost effective for Tesla to incur legal fees, court costs, etc. to appeal the case. It would probably cost more than the small claims judgement. Of course if Tesla just wanted to be vindictive, their deep pockets would allow their legal team to make the OP very miserable. I hope the OP will not get blacklisted from obtaining another Tesla. One would hope not, but I believe I once read that Tesla occasionally does that with what they perceive to be “difficult” owners. So happy to hear the consumer won in this case!
(Assuming the OP post is not click-bait...)

No, they will evaluate it not on the fine cost (trivial) but the possible wider implications, and almost certainly appeal (if they can in this jurisdiction).

I'm not sure where I stand on this one. The manual is very clear about auto park being an assist, and has all sorts of warnings about how it should be used. The OP states he thought it should work "all the time", but what technology of any sort can make such a claim? OTOH if Tesla can wriggle out of any and all claims what is going to push them to make features like Autopark more dependable?

There has to be a balance here someplace. If the courts decide Tesla is liable for every single fender-bender, then the result will be Tesla simply disabling the feature, even if it is more reliable than a human doing the parking. But, statistically speaking, it is reasonable to expect the auto park feature to have a defined and measurable success rate that is well in excess of humans.

Yes, Tesla came to the court. Their main argument was that the car wasn't under autopark control at the time of the crash. However, I presented the car log which demonstrated that the car was controlled by the autopark at the time of the crash. As well, Tesla claimed that autopark is a driver assist feature not automatic parting. The judge asked Tesla why they call it AUTO park then if they claim that it is driver assist. Tesla couldn't explain it.
How did you obtain the car log?