Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Won a Small Claims Case Against Tesla – A Triumph for Autopark Failure Victims!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dkrupenn

Jul 2, 2023
USA
I am writing this post in an exultant mood today because I've just emerged victorious from a small claims court battle against none other than Tesla!

Last year, I faced an unfortunate incident. My Tesla Model 3, while using the Autopark feature, got involved in a fender bender. I was under the impression that this state-of-the-art tech should flawlessly park my vehicle, but alas, it ended up causing damage that was not just frustrating, but also expensive.

Faced with the cost of repairs and the nagging thought that this was not my fault, I decided to approach Tesla, hoping that they would take responsibility for the incident. Unfortunately, I was met with nothing more than ignorance. They shied away from compensating me for the damage caused.

Being left with no other choice, I turned to the legal recourse available to me - small claims court. It was a daunting thought at first, going up against a multinational corporation, but I believed that my case was just.

Fast forward to today, I am glad to say that the court sided with me. The judge ruled in favor of my claim, concluding that the Autopark feature indeed failed to operate as it was supposed to and, therefore, Tesla was held liable for the damages caused.

My victory isn't just a personal one. It's a triumph for every Tesla owner who has faced similar issues but felt helpless against the giant corporation. It proves that consumers have rights and the power to stand up when wronged.

If you're dealing with something similar, I hope my story serves as an encouragement. Don't hesitate to take legal action if necessary, because as consumers, we deserve products and services that work as promised.

Yes, Tesla came to the court. Their main argument was that the car wasn't under autopark control at the time of the crash. However, I presented the car log which demonstrated that the car was controlled by the autopark at the time of the crash. As well, Tesla claimed that autopark is a driver assist feature not automatic parting. The judge asked Tesla why they call it AUTO park then if they claim that it is driver assist. Tesla couldn't explain it.

Yes, Tesla came to the court. Their main argument was that the car wasn't under autopark control at the time of the crash. However, I presented the car log which demonstrated that the car was controlled by the autopark at the time of the crash. As well, Tesla claimed that autopark is a driver assist feature not automatic parting. The judge asked Tesla why they call it AUTO park then if they claim that it is driver assist. Tesla couldn't explain it.
Nice! comes down to the same thing - your rights! Glad you won. I'm sure the settlement isn't even a rounding error for them, though.

Congratulations on your victory!

You don't say where you are. I can tell you from past experience that in California the loser can appeal the decision. If the appeal is granted, then the hearing is presided over by three Superior Court judges. And from this step onward, lawyers (shocking, I know) are permitted to argue the verdict in front of the panel. These three judges hear the appeal, ask salient questions, and render their decision.

I am not sure of the period involved for Tesla to file a hypothetical appeal if you are in California. But certainly something to keep in mind, and perhaps wait until the period has lapsed before uncorking that champagne.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.

Since payouts in small claims courts are relatively limited, I don’t think it would be very cost effective for Tesla to incur legal fees, court costs, etc. to appeal the case. It would probably cost more than the small claims judgement. Of course if Tesla just wanted to be vindictive, their deep pockets would allow their legal team to make the OP very miserable. I hope the OP will not get blacklisted from obtaining another Tesla. One would hope not, but I believe I once read that Tesla occasionally does that with what they perceive to be “difficult” owners. So happy to hear the consumer won in this case!

• Love
Reactions: El joe and hooty
I am writing this post in an exultant mood today because I've just emerged victorious from a small claims court battle against none other than Tesla!

Last year, I faced an unfortunate incident. My Tesla Model 3, while using the Autopark feature, got involved in a fender bender. I was under the impression that this state-of-the-art tech should flawlessly park my vehicle, but alas, it ended up causing damage that was not just frustrating, but also expensive.

Faced with the cost of repairs and the nagging thought that this was not my fault, I decided to approach Tesla, hoping that they would take responsibility for the incident. Unfortunately, I was met with nothing more than ignorance. They shied away from compensating me for the damage caused.

Being left with no other choice, I turned to the legal recourse available to me - small claims court. It was a daunting thought at first, going up against a multinational corporation, but I believed that my case was just.

Fast forward to today, I am glad to say that the court sided with me. The judge ruled in favor of my claim, concluding that the Autopark feature indeed failed to operate as it was supposed to and, therefore, Tesla was held liable for the damages caused.

My victory isn't just a personal one. It's a triumph for every Tesla owner who has faced similar issues but felt helpless against the giant corporation. It proves that consumers have rights and the power to stand up when wronged.

If you're dealing with something similar, I hope my story serves as an encouragement. Don't hesitate to take legal action if necessary, because as consumers, we deserve products and services that work as promised.
You should contact the media so that news of your win can spread. It will help many others to also instigate legal action.
Tesla's punishment for constantly thumbing their nose at the law is looooong overdue

As well, Tesla claimed that autopark is a driver assist feature not automatic parting. The judge asked Tesla why they call it AUTO park then if they claim that it is driver assist. Tesla couldn't explain it.

Wow, they must have sent their worst lawyer if they choked at that question! Would have thought they'd at least try parroting all the disclaimers in the user manual that say you need to keep an eye on it and be ready to intervene! Must say I'm very surprised a case like this could be won given said disclaimers, so good for you. Would be interested in more details of the specific fender bender.

However, I presented the car log which demonstrated that the car was controlled by the autopark at the time of the crash.
That lawyer is worst for a technology company when denied that Auopark was not on during an Autopark session.

However, there’s a basis for that excuse as NHTSA noted:

You should contact the media so that news of your win can spread. It will help many others to also instigate legal action.
Tesla's punishment for constantly thumbing their nose at the law is looooong overdue

Assuming this is actually real (since the OP joined TMC to make this post), I am surprised that since the appearance is "social media blitz" that the OP would not have also already shared this with various online media, along with proof etc. Right now, this is not much more than a new account making this claim, so if the OP really wants to help people they need to post relevant details so others can attempt to do the same, with their case as a precedent.

Wow, they must have sent their worst lawyer if they choked at that question! Would have thought they'd at least try parroting all the disclaimers in the user manual that say you need to keep an eye on it and be ready to intervene! Must say I'm very surprised a case like this could be won given said disclaimers, so good for you. Would be interested in more details of the specific fender bender.
Even their worst lawyer probably wasn’t allowed as this case allegedly was in small claims court. Of course we don’t know where this alleged case was heard as OP has no posting history before this thread and lists his/her location as USA. Smells fishy.

Bet they’ll be changing it to Park Assist now.

Reactions: pilotSteve

Which state holds small claims court on Sunday?

Assuming this is actually real (since the OP joined TMC to make this post), I am surprised that since the appearance is "social media blitz" that the OP would not have also already shared this with various online media, along with proof etc. Right now, this is not much more than a new account making this claim, so if the OP really wants to help people they need to post relevant details so others can attempt to do the same, with their case as a precedent.

I am no legal expert, but isn't this type of court case a matter of public record? If so, he should provide the state, county and case number.

Reactions: father_of_6
Great response. I wish I had that ability to question without offending. ;) 🤣 🤣 🤣

. . .

Why not reveal:
  1. What state you're in (all states have different small claims limits, procedures)
  2. How much was the claim you won, how much was the total accident damage
  3. Some pics of the damage
hmmm