Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consent about car data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not the perfect forum to post this but mobile service they know many details about my car when they visit. For example mileage.
How legal is it? Without getting consent? Or did we give it at some point?
You might want to review the information Tesla has posted on their site about data sharing. Here are a couple of links for official Tesla statements you may want to review.

You do have the ability to turn off data sharing under the Safety & Security > Data Sharing menu on the main touchscreen

You might want to review the information Tesla has posted on their site about data sharing. Here are a couple of links for official Tesla statements you may want to review.

You do have the ability to turn off data sharing under the Safety & Security > Data Sharing menu on the main touchscreen
That Data Sharing option does not include the car technical information, like battery, diagnostic, and health information. It is my understanding the information required to service and maintain your car is provided and used by Tesla and cannot be blocked. The "data sharing off" option only stops:

"Tesla measures road segment data of all participating vehicles. All Tesla vehicles can learn from the experience of the billions of miles that Tesla vehicles have driven. Although Tesla shares this data with partners that contribute similar data, the data does not include any personally identifiable information about you or your vehicle."

Reactions: asterothe
This is not the perfect forum to post this but mobile service they know many details about my car when they visit. For example mileage.
How legal is it? Without getting consent? Or did we give it at some point?
Any car repair (Tesla, Ford, GM, Yugo, etc.) is going to need to know the mileage. Otherwise, a mileage based repair, 12 months, 12,000 miles would not be able to be determined.

When you make a service request on the app, all the pertinent vehicle data is transmitted to Tesla. Step one is a remote connection is done for remote diagnostics, which will include a basic snapshot of your vehicles condition.

Mileage reporting for service related items is industry standard. I can't recall ever needing to give any dealership or shop "permission" to look at my vehicle. Asking for service is basically consent IMO.

If you own a Tesla; use the Tesla app, which shares all sorts of data; plug into a Supercharger, which shares your location vehicle, data, and car health information; use a Tesla Wall connector; or get your car serviced -- all sorts of data are exchanged with Tesla. Pretty much, if you own a Tesla, they have a bunch of data on your car. Same with Apple -- if you own an iPhone, Apple owns you.

Thank you for all the replies.
If you own a Tesla; use the Tesla app, which shares all sorts of data; plug into a Supercharger, which shares your location vehicle, data, and car health information; use a Tesla Wall connector; or get your car serviced -- all sorts of data are exchanged with Tesla. Pretty much, if you own a Tesla, they have a bunch of data on your car. Same with Apple -- if you own an iPhone, Apple owns you.
I know that. We are providing free data and pay for the HW. At some point there had to be some consent that was my question. Otherwise all Tesla cars are just data points in a big database.

Thank you for all the replies.

I know that. We are providing free data and pay for the HW. At some point there had to be some consent that was my question. Otherwise all Tesla cars are just data points in a big database.
I believe if you take a close look at your purchase agreement you will find something like this (mine is for mid-2016, but expect something similar today).

Warranty; Privacy Policy. You will receive the Tesla Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty at or prior to the time of Vehicle delivery. You may also obtain a written copy of such warranty from us upon request or download it from your MyTesla account. Tesla’s Customer Privacy Policy is incorporated into this Agreement and can be viewed at Legal | Tesla.​

I believe this link will take you directly to the referenced Privacy Policy.

In the privacy policy there is reference to the collection of vehicle diagnostic information, which would cover the types of information you reference they collect prior to a service event.

So to your question of consent, that occurred with your signature on the purchase agreement as condition of buying the vehicle.

You do have the right to turn off mobile access, which may limit ability in some cases for them to collect data, but then also at the expense of you not being able to access the car via the app or other such tools.

Reactions: asterothe