Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one bothered by this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across an article about car manufacturers selling anything and everything they can get from your cars data stream. Tesla got the worst ranking but every car manufacturer is doing this except cars sold in Europe where they actually have privacy laws.

Tesla is only the second product we have ever reviewed to receive all of our privacy “dings.” (The first was an AI chatbot we reviewed earlier this year.) What set them apart was earning the “untrustworthy AI” ding. The brand’s AI-powered autopilot was reportedly involved in 17 deaths and 736 crashes and is currently the subject of multiple government investigations.

So when car companies say they have your “consent” or won’t do something “without your consent,” it often doesn’t mean what it should. Like when Tesla says, that sure! You can opt out of data collection, but it might break your car:

However, “if you no longer wish for us to collect vehicle data or any other data from your Tesla vehicle, please contact us to deactivate connectivity. Please note, certain advanced features such as over-the-air updates, remote services, and interactivity with mobile applications and in-car features such as location search, Internet radio, voice commands, and web browser functionality rely on such connectivity. If you choose to opt out of vehicle data collection (with the exception of in-car Data Sharing preferences), we will not be able to know or notify you of issues applicable to your vehicle in real time. This may result in your vehicle suffering from reduced functionality, serious damage, or inoperability."

TESLA'S CUSTOMER PRIVACY NOTICE

https://www.tesla.com/legal/privacy

Reactions: kabin
I came across an article about car manufacturers selling anything and everything they can get from your cars data stream. Tesla got the worst ranking but every car manufacturer is doing this except cars sold in Europe where they actually have privacy laws.

Tesla is only the second product we have ever reviewed to receive all of our privacy “dings.” (The first was an AI chatbot we reviewed earlier this year.) What set them apart was earning the “untrustworthy AI” ding. The brand’s AI-powered autopilot was reportedly involved in 17 deaths and 736 crashes and is currently the subject of multiple government investigations.

So when car companies say they have your “consent” or won’t do something “without your consent,” it often doesn’t mean what it should. Like when Tesla says, that sure! You can opt out of data collection, but it might break your car:

However, “if you no longer wish for us to collect vehicle data or any other data from your Tesla vehicle, please contact us to deactivate connectivity. Please note, certain advanced features such as over-the-air updates, remote services, and interactivity with mobile applications and in-car features such as location search, Internet radio, voice commands, and web browser functionality rely on such connectivity. If you choose to opt out of vehicle data collection (with the exception of in-car Data Sharing preferences), we will not be able to know or notify you of issues applicable to your vehicle in real time. This may result in your vehicle suffering from reduced functionality, serious damage, or inoperability."

TESLA'S CUSTOMER PRIVACY NOTICE

https://www.tesla.com/legal/privacy
It's a problem, probably just an exposed protrusion of a larger problem, but I certainly can't offer a solution.

What can the car tell anyone? Speed, location, musical choices. Anything else is not the car, but your account with the car company. There is your name, address, and other personal information.

I agree companies shouldn't sell my information, but it's happening everywhere, not just car companies, so I don't get the alarm over it. You'd be amazed doing a Lexis Nexis lookup on anyone in your life. The amount of data on them is impressive.

What does supposed concerns over accidents have to do with privacy issues?

I do understand that some people are concerned about privacy. However, if you choose not to be connected, you can’t expect to get live traffic data.

What can the car tell anyone? Speed, location, musical choices. Anything else is not the car, but your account with the car company. There is your name, address, and other personal information.

I agree companies shouldn't sell my information, but it's happening everywhere, not just car companies, so I don't get the alarm over it. You'd be amazed doing a Lexis Nexis lookup on anyone in your life. The amount of data on them is impressive.
Sounds like whatever is available Tesla will monetize it. Of course home address, work address, personal identity, music/news preferences, locations (religion, pharmacies, hospitals, liquor stores, marijuana stores, schools), driving style ~= risk taking, maybe even biometrics like voice/facial recognition, contact list, who you call, ... It's not as if data miners wouldn't love to tap into any of it. Maybe just to confirm current info or to get the consumer's latest preference.

I think the EU got this one correct. I wonder how an EU Tesla owner opting out effects their sw updates, nav, etc. I bet it doesn't. It's all TSLA bluster.

Sounds like whatever is available Tesla will monetize it. …

I think the EU got this one correct. I wonder how an EU Tesla owner opting out affects their sw updates, nav, etc. I bet it doesn't. It's all TSLA bluster.
Is there any evidence Tesla currently monetizes the data they collect?

Also, I think the people rating Tesla in the original post did not understand what Testa will do if you ask to be deactivated. My guess is that Tesla simply deactivates the cellular access associated with the car’s SIM, in exactly the same way an old phone SIM is deactivated. And, just like the old phone, the car can no longer talk through the cellular network. So, it obviously cannot send or receive data, including updates.

Of course home address, work address, personal identity, music/news preferences, locations (religion, pharmacies, hospitals, liquor stores, marijuana stores, schools), driving style ~= risk taking, maybe even biometrics like voice/facial recognition, contact list, who you call, ... It's not as if data miners wouldn't love to tap into any of it.
Your cell phone already collects all that data, and more. Is there any evidence that your phone provider / carrier isn't monetizing that data?

Agreed. Was rather surprised when Ford called me to say I was at 90% and due for an oil change? Clearly they have some access.

What does supposed concerns over accidents have to do with privacy issues?

I do understand that some people are concerned about privacy. However, if you choose not to be connected, you can’t expect to get live traffic data.

In case a crime happens, and some witness says 'I saw a Tesla driving by', and police gets a subpoena on the Tesla's location data, an unlucky owner might get in trouble. Accidents or not, we don't want this to happen.

In case a crime happens, and some witness says 'I saw a Tesla driving by', and police gets a subpoena on the Tesla's location data, an unlucky owner might get in trouble. Accidents or not, we don't want this to happen.
If it gets someone convicted for a crime against others I’m in. If however your using it as a get away vehicle this is likely not the car for you.

• Funny
Reactions: legendsk