Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering buying a CPO and driving it home 800 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All great advice! I did exactly the same thing, flew/uber'd to pick up my CPO last November, then drove it home 800 miles. I'll emphasize a couple points D.E. made:

1) The location I picked up from (Mt. Kisco, NY) has you sign all paperwork at lone location, then shuttles you to another location to pick up the car. In hindsight, I would have refused to sign before seeing the car.

2) It was night and raining when I picked up. They drove the car inside for me to look at, but it was wet. In my excitement, I missed some damage on front corner...noticed it the next day while super charging on the way home. Even looking back at the pics they sent me, this was not visible. I'm still in contact with Tesla trying to get them to pay, they haven't said yes or no, but I'm not too optimistic. Got a quote from a Telsa certified body shop, and it's ~$2,700.

They used to sell a very flexible silicone squeegee device, I think it was a “California drier”. It quickly sweeps water off a surface and it is supposed not to scratch. I’ve used it after washing a car. That would be worth taking if you are going to be looking at a wet car.

I find sellers are often quick to fix their used car before a sale but they tend not to fix them after the sale. If one buys a car sight unseen, then it might be wise to insist they sign a list of defects/damage as a condition of sale. They wouldn’t, of course, but instead I’m sure they’d have let you look over the car. If something needs fixing, it should be fixed before ownership changes. That’s the only way you can be sure it gets done. At the very least the repairs should be promised in writing. That way there’s a chance they’ll fix it. Not a big chance, though.

I think no one should ever buy a car unseen. If you must, as when a car is being bought and shipped from somewhere else, I always make arrangements for an inspection by someone, an expert I choose, usually an independent mechanic, unrelated to and not suggested by the seller, and I pay for it. If a foreign car, I use an independent foreign car garage. And I want the owner or senior mechanic to do it, not the least experienced kid in the shop. It costs more. If one does this, find out if the inspector smokes. If he does he won’t pick up cigarette odors. That, I learned that the hard way. You won’t pick up everything that way but you shouldn’t miss anything important. I expect to pay several hundred dollars. It’s worth it, especially if it causes me to not buy the car. If the seller won’t allow inspection, it’s a red flag, he can sell to someone else.

I flew 400 miles to pick up our used 2013 TMS 85. I made an early appointment and took a morning flight just in case the car was far short of expectations. I would have bought a plane ticket back home, but the car was a 9 out of 10. There was a little curb rash on two of the wheels, a few pebble sized nicks, a little dirty residue on the headliner, and the front bumper cover had a little sand-scarring. Everything else looked like a new car and was in far better condition than any of my other cars. On deposit, they confirmed that the battery projected 256 range miles and the tires were down to 6/32" and 9/32" front/rear. When I picked up the car, I was pleased to see a brand new set of tires.

I left Tempe, Az at 12:30pm and got home to Orange County at 8pm (got an hour back from daylight savings time). I stopped to Supercharge 3 times and had a little traffic through Riverside.

I'm considering buying a MS CPO and then doing an 800 mile road trip home instead of paying 2000 for the transportation fee. Are CPOs usually in good shape to do a road trip? Am I crazy. I'm considering cars with less than 30k miles.

Thanks for your input.
Great idea, just make sure you've got superchargers along the way. What's even better, it's a great test of your CPO, in case if anything breaks you can return it within the 3 day guarantee (IIRC).

Great idea, just make sure you've got superchargers along the way. What's even better, it's a great test of your CPO, in case if anything breaks you can return it within the 3 day guarantee (IIRC).

I couldn’t find this return policy for their used cars. I found it for their new cars. Do you have a link for a CPO return policy?

As far as new cars go, the 3 day return policy is contingent upon not ever having done a test drive, otherwise it is 1 day. The mileage limit for the return on new cars of 500 miles. If he bought a new one and drove it 800 miles home he would not be able to return the car under the return policy. As I said I did not see a return policy for the CPO sales so terms might well be different.