Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering electric tankless WH... 2nd AO Smith heat pump WH failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
We're on our second AO Smith hybrid electric (heat pump) water heater, which just failed (both within a year). The compressor continues to run, but there is no heat exchanging going on (inlet and outlet air temps are the same; garage is 55-60 F). Not only that, it's noisy and takes up valuable garage real estate. Our house is all-electric (with 400 amp service). I understand that efficiency is only 99% with a tankless electric vs. 200%+ with a heat pump unit. The incremental electric costs are not a deal breaker for me given the benefits (endless hot water, silent, low space requirements).

Who makes the best electric tankless heater? We would need ~25kW.

We're on our second AO Smith hybrid electric (heat pump) water heater, which just failed (both within a year). The compressor continues to run, but there is no heat exchanging going on (inlet and outlet air temps are the same; garage is 55-60 F). Not only that, it's noisy and takes up valuable garage real estate. Our house is all-electric (with 400 amp service). I understand that efficiency is only 99% with a tankless electric vs. 200%+ with a heat pump unit. The incremental electric costs are not a deal breaker for me given the benefits (endless hot water, silent, low space requirements).

Sorry to hear you've had 2 failures on the HPWH. Sounds like AO Smith has some reliability/manufacturing issues. I have 3 Rheem HPWH units in 3 different homes and they've all been flawless, they range from 3-5 years old.

Reactions: iPlug and nwdiver

I have a GE GeoSpring which looks suspiciously identical to the AO Smith. I can attest that it is complete garbage. A friend of mine and my Mom also have GeoSprings. Both of theirs also had issues. Rheem does seem to be a lot better.

I really hope that as heat pumps become more popular the quality improves. It's brilliant technology... they just need to make better units and maybe switch to CO2 as a refrigerant. The UK is launching a YUGE heat pump program and I suspect the rest of Europe is going to see a surge in interest as gas prices spike. Hopefully this will drive improvements similar to what Germany did for solar 20 years ago.

If you keep having issues I would just use a HPWH in resistance mode before investing in tankless electric. The tiny increase in efficiency of tankless doesn't come close to making up for the insane current draw they require. Not even remotely worth the investment.

Last edited:
I have a GE GeoSpring which looks suspiciously identical to the AO Smith. I can attest that it is complete garbage. A friend of mine and my Mom also have GeoSprings. Both of theirs also had issues. Rheem does seem to be a lot better.

I really hope that as heat pumps become more popular the quality improves. It's brilliant technology... they just need to make better units and maybe switch to CO2 as a refrigerant. The UK is launching a YUGE heat pump program and I suspect the rest of Europe is going to see a surge in interest as gas prices spike. Hopefully this will drive improvements similar to what Germany did for solar 20 years ago.

If you keep having issues I would just use a HPWH in resistance mode before investing in tankless electric. The tiny increase in efficiency of tankless doesn't come close to making up for the insane current draw they require. Not even remotely worth the investment.
The more I look into electric tankless, the more I realize it’s not a good fit for our application. We would likely need ~40kW (45-50 groundwater temp in winter), which means we would need to run two separate units in parallel.

I might look into selling the warranty replacement AO Smith hybrid unit once I get it (possible?) And switching to Rheem.

Reactions: nwdiver
I dont have an AO smith hybrid unit, I had a regular AO smith Gas water heater that I had a plumber install right when I moved into the home I am in. I didnt pick it, my plumber brought that brand to install and I went with it.

It only lasted 5 years, and thats with a whole home water softener so its not a hard water issue. I had a water sensor in the drip pan for it, so knew when it "popped" (failed). I called my plumber, and this time he brought a Rheem, and said 'i used to install those AO smith ones all the time, but right around when I did yours, something was different and I had a ton of failures. They are garbage now. I have been installing Rheem and not a peep from anyone."

I know its not either hybrid or tankless, but another anecdote about the AO Smith Waterheaters in general.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
In MY area we only had electric until the past few years.
I had the Stiebel German made instant hit water heater for years!
It’s the best!!
I didn’t know about maintenance and figured it’s maintenance free, it never failed me after 8 plus years.
Eventuality we got gas on the street and now it’s Party all the time!!!
Heat pumps you can buy separately too, but I’ll increase your electric use!