Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant (Non-Switched) 12 V source in (rear) trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we are out of luck. The only non-switched that I am aware of are:
1. behind the mic grille above the rear view mirror on some models, not all.
2. behind the cubby under the 17" on the passenger side. A vacant connector, like above.
3. The OBD port on the left of the driver's wheel well.

You could always run a line up to the front. Not that hard. But a bit of a hassle. I use #1 for my front/rear dash cam.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
I have not used that port. I have read posts about it being available with power. But I think you will need to either fashion a connector to mate it or splice into it. I have not read anything about what it could be used for by Tesla. Personally, since the MS is new tech and so complicated, I have decided to not splice into anything, for fear of screwing something up. Even though it is only a 12V connection, who knows? I used the one above the mirror to power my dash cam, which was easy. All I did was pop the connector open, lay my wires in and snap it shut. From the looks of the one behind the 17", I don't know if it would be that easy. When I installed my radar in the front nose cone, I did a simple, no cut tap into the fuse box under the top cowl. Both have worked with no problems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you have the tech package and automatic liftgate controls, there an always-on 12v source on the lift gate controls under the passenger side liner/trim panel, which has to be pulled away for access. We use it to power the lighted rear applique. Here's a photo of it tapped:

12V%20source%20tap%20with%20fuse.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Tree95 and Gwgan
If you have the tech package and automatic liftgate controls, there an always-on 12v source on the lift gate controls under the passenger side liner/trim panel, which has to be pulled away for access. We use it to power the lighted rear applique. Here's a photo of it tapped:

12V%20source%20tap%20with%20fuse.jpg
Please would you expand on where this is - I don't know the topology of the car well enough. Is it in the trunk or in the car beside the rear seat.......?