Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contacts won't sync. Only favorites and call history. [android phones]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Android (S21 Ultra) that I've connected to a '22 M3. The phone is connected, I can see my "favorites" that came over from my phone along with call history and texts but contacts are now showing. I've deleted and added the phone twice with no luck. I gave it access to contacts, messages, calls, and audio. I'm able to send/receive calls and texts

Any ideas?

Reactions: SWSPB
I am having the same issue with same phone and 21 performance 3. Unable to call or text contacts, have to use full phone number instead of contact name and it works. When I receive a call from a contact I have, it only shows the number and not the name.

I have attempted restarting the car, unpairing phone and car, uninstalling and re-installing tesla app... Not sure what else to do. Don't want to rebuild my phone.

My wife has the same phone and is not experiencing the same issue.

Reactions: SWSPB
I am having the same issue with same phone and 21 performance 3. Unable to call or text contacts, have to use full phone number instead of contact name and it works. When I receive a call from a contact I have, it only shows the number and not the name.

I have attempted restarting the car, unpairing phone and car, uninstalling and re-installing tesla app... Not sure what else to do. Don't want to rebuild my phone.

My wife has the same phone and is not experiencing the same issue.
Strange! I'm not too sure what else to try.

FYI, I found another thread that mentioned making sure none of your contacts have the "&" characters in their name. I had an AT&T customer service contact it wouldn't let me delete, but I changed the name to ATT. Now it works fine.

I have this same issue. I have a Samsung s21 Ultra. It started with the new Android 12 / One UI 4 update. Before the update, I had no issues prior to the update. I found this thread even though I have an X. Must be an Android 12 or One UI 4 issue.

Reactions: Jo060
Ok...I think I found a fix. On my Samsung phone under Settings I selected Developer options, Bluetooth PBAP, Bluetooth PBAP version, PBAP 1.1, then Apply. I connected to my car and contacts now sync. What is strange is when I switched it back to PBAP version 1.2 it still syncs the contacts. So, by toggling this option it seemed to fix the issue.

I don't recall how I enabled the developer options. I know you can google it.

Ok...I think I found a fix. On my Samsung phone under Settings I selected Developer options, Bluetooth PBAP, Bluetooth PBAP version, PBAP 1.1, then Apply. I connected to my car and contacts now sync. What is strange is when I switched it back to PBAP version 1.2 it still syncs the contacts. So, by toggling this option it seemed to fix the issue.

Success! That did it...thank you
I think this should be stickied.

My wife and I both have the S21 Ultra and have been fighting this same issue with missing contacts and inability to initiate calls. Your fix worked! I'm not sure how you figured that one out but super glad you did. Thanks!

Reactions: rush6410

I have no idea how you worked this out, but thank you very much. Worked for me right away. Much appreciated.

That worked! Thank you!

Thanks to your post I fixed the same issue in 2022 on my phone!

Thank you, @rush6410 and thank you, @Mach3 for posting how to enable the Developer Options. I had Tesla mobile service out yesterday, but they could not fix the issue. They did help me realize that the reason I was getting the "could not complete call" error (which is what I had searched this forum for before making the appointment) when trying to make a call with voice commands is because my contacts weren't loading. Now that I found this post, it fixed the issue.

Reactions: Jo060