Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Contemplating driving for Uber in spare time...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did it for a few months and it was ok for the first few rides and then it went downhill.

1st issue was picking up a rider who had just finished smoking, as a non smoker it was annoying to say the least.

2nd and the reason I stopped driving was “service animals”, picked up some dude who had a big ass German Shepard with him and I couldn’t refuse because it was a “service animal”. Luckily there was no damage to the seats but my car did have that wet dog smell in it for a few days after. I absolutely hate that smell, pets in general I’m not a fan of because of that.

The money was ok, it wasn’t anything special, but it wasn’t bad either.

Overall I would never do it, I just don’t want the wear and tear on my car, and the small talk got annoying quick. Same exact convo with every rider.

I did it for a few months and it was ok for the first few rides and then it went downhill.

1st issue was picking up a rider who had just finished smoking, as a non smoker it was annoying to say the least.

2nd and the reason I stopped driving was “service animals”, picked up some dude who had a big ass German Shepard with him and I couldn’t refuse because it was a “service animal”. Luckily there was no damage to the seats but my car did have that wet dog smell in it for a few days after. I absolutely hate that smell, pets in general I’m not a fan of because of that.

Overall I would never do it, I just don’t want the wear and tear on my car, and the small talk got annoying quick. Same exact convo with every rider.
Some things I didnt anticipate. Thanks for the reply.

And this is why Robo Taxis will not be a big thing.

I was an uber driver for years during college. The wear and tear on your car isn't worth the time and money. If you were driving a 2012-2020 Toyota Prius, then it may be a nice gig, but a Model S doesn't make financial sense. Unless you're doing it completely for fun, I would not use it for income. The repairs and maintenance alone will likely hurt you a lot. The likelihood of getting in an accident also increases exponentially compared to driving your car personally due to the sheer amount of miles you're driving in your car. Enjoy your car, and keep it in good shape.

Any one out here that has done this and has an opinion on it?

Pros: extra cash...and I love driving my car.
Cons: Having strange people in my car....wear and tear...adding extra mileage...any more?

I am also thinking to retire in Florida, this would help me learn the area.

Comments and advice welcomed.
You're in New York, go check out the new collective. You might even get your 5 minutes of fame if you happen to be the first Tesla to drive for them. Assuming of course that is something you'd like.

Pros: extra cash...and I love driving my car.
Cons: Having strange people in my car....wear and tear...adding extra mileage...any more?

I volunteer for the local Meals on Wheels in my town, and deliver warm lunch to the elderly and other shut-ins. It takes about 75 minutes from 11AM-12:15 each day I volunteer. They have a mileage reimbursement that more than covers the cost of charging (it actually covers the cost of *all* my monthly charging), so it isn't "extra cash". But I do love driving my car, and this gives me the chance to just drive around *and* help people out. And this avoids the nasty cons you list.

Wanna make money driving your car? Drive it to McDonalds and flip burgers for $15/hr. As long as Biden is paying "workers" to stay home, no one wants to work, so you'll be a sure hire. You'll make more money and you can vomit in your own car if you want.
hahaha facts and some McDonalds are even offering a new iPhone if you work there for 6 months.

Anyway i drove uber in my P85D for about a year back in like 2017 or so. The money is *sugar* don't let anyone tell you otherwise you may get paid $20 for a ride but uber takes $10 of that. I would only do it on Friday and Saturdays for a few hours or until a fare took me downtown near my fav bar. There was a free J1772 about a block away, i would plug in got get hammered and then walk back to the car and inflate my air mattress and sleep it off till morning and drive home with a free charge to 90%
But back to uber, i never had a puker in my car and if someone does puke they are responsible for the cleaning fee. Never had a dog but i have my own dog that rides with me so i have dog covers for all the leather that i could put down if that happened. Tips are ok and people really love the torque from a dead stop, just gotta tell them to put their head back against the headrest before you hit the throttle.
Also insurance while technically you can drive with your basic insurance that you have if you get into an accident while driving for uber your insurance doesn't cover a single thing. You are supposed to get insurance that covers for being a special driver i cant remember the term right now but its basically super expensive which is why most people don't bother to get it and roll with the risk. But in a tesla its not advisable because of how damn expensive repairs can be compared to a civic or normal uber type cars.

hahaha facts and some McDonalds are even offering a new iPhone if you work there for 6 months.

Anyway i drove uber in my P85D for about a year back in like 2017 or so. The money is *sugar* don't let anyone tell you otherwise you may get paid $20 for a ride but uber takes $10 of that. I would only do it on Friday and Saturdays for a few hours or until a fare took me downtown near my fav bar. There was a free J1772 about a block away, i would plug in got get hammered and then walk back to the car and inflate my air mattress and sleep it off till morning and drive home with a free charge to 90%
But back to uber, i never had a puker in my car and if someone does puke they are responsible for the cleaning fee. Never had a dog but i have my own dog that rides with me so i have dog covers for all the leather that i could put down if that happened. Tips are ok and people really love the torque from a dead stop, just gotta tell them to put their head back against the headrest before you hit the throttle.
Also insurance while technically you can drive with your basic insurance that you have if you get into an accident while driving for uber your insurance doesn't cover a single thing. You are supposed to get insurance that covers for being a special driver i cant remember the term right now but its basically super expensive which is why most people don't bother to get it and roll with the risk. But in a tesla its not advisable because of how damn expensive repairs can be compared to a civic or normal uber type cars.
Ha, uber yourself to the bar....nice!

True on the McD and workers, though. I have an acquaitance in FL who held a multi-day open house to hire new staff for his new higher-end restaurant. Not a single person showed up.

UBER offers insurance, at least it did when I signed up. From what I remember it covers you once you pick up a rider and to destination but not while driving waiting for a rider. I did it a long time ago so it might be different now but it definitely provided insurance while “on the job”