Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Drive with a Steering Wheel on a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

My 2023 Model S Plaid is in the shop for a track package install, and the loaner vehicle Tesla provided me is a 2023 Model S with a steering wheel. I have seen countless threads on steering with a yoke versus steering with a standard round(ish) steering wheel, and I am finally able to make an informed analysis.

Driving with a steering wheel is (as expected) much easier to use to toss the Model S around in the curves. More control, more grip variations, and no learning curve.

The downsides?

As many have noted, one of the major downsides is visibility. No matter how I adjusted the steering wheel to fit me, it blocked the driver’s display more than the yoke. I felt as if there was no correct position for the steering wheel…. But there is more:

If one were to suggest that a car has a soul, a defining characteristic that makes it utterly unique, then replacing the yoke with a standard steering wheel is like ripping the soul out of the Model S. It would be fair, I think, for those reading this to find my previous statement to be a bit melodramatic, but bear with me.

When I enter my Model S Plaid with a yoke, the yoke is the center of focus, not only for me, but for every passenger who gets in my car. Typical first words are “this feels like a spaceship”, and this is BEFORE I accelerate. The yoke seems to “fit” the Model S in a way that a steering wheel simply does not. For me, having a standard steering wheel in the Model S is nothing more than a regression to the mean; instead of standing out, it pulls the entire interior and driving experience down (with the noted exception to racing control, which I do very rarely since I daily drive with my Model S Plaid).

I can guarantee everyone reading this missive that the complaints about driving with a yoke are overblown; it becomes as natural as driving with a round wheel very quickly. In my opinion, the clownish attempts to portray maneuvering in tight areas on YouTube have more to do with novice driving and exaggeration than actual flaws related to driving with a yoke.

In my opinion, if you are trying to make the decision between a yoke and a steering wheel; stick with a standard wheel if you are not a gearhead, if you prefer an automatic transmission to a standard transmission, and if a vehicle is just a way to get from point A to point B.

If however, you want to experience everything there is to be experienced in a Model S, if you know how to drive and are able to adapt and learn, and most of all, if you want rise above the mean, get the yoke and stick with it; you will be richly rewarded.

Joe

22739176879_27631b222d_b.jpg

"Tesla Model S Steering Wheel (Day 7 of 50)" by Au Kirk is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I suspect your opinion is in the majority!
First thing my girl mentioned was that the yoke looked a lot cooler. Personally, the aesthetic of the wheel is better to me; in part because the yoke was not correctly implemented. Nevertheless, in this scenario form does not trump function.

In pictures the wheel doesn’t look great. Not so in person. It’s well sized and feels fantastic in the hand. The material is “smoother” than the yoke and feels better in my hand. Tesla did a very good job with the wheel imo.

I agree. The wheel is aesthetically pleasing standalone. I wonder how I would have felt had I ordered the wheel and never experienced the yoke. I bet I would like the wheel.

Joe

First thing my girl mentioned was that the yoke looked a lot cooler. Personally, the aesthetic of the wheel is better to me; in part because the yoke was not correctly implemented. Nevertheless, in this scenario form does not trump function.

In pictures the wheel doesn’t look great. Not so in person. It’s well sized and feels fantastic in the hand. The material is “smoother” than the yoke and feels better in my hand. Tesla did a very good job with the wheel imo.

I have the wheel.

If Tesla will ever fix the Yoke (which currently feels a bit cheaper material wise), and if a new yoke design comes up, I will certainly consider paying Tesla $1000 to install the Yoke and give it a try.

How much does it cost now btw do replace the wheel with a yoke? curious.

I’ve driven both, have the wheel. I prefer the wheel, in spite of the slightly reduced visibility of the dash. But I agree with what the OP said about the yoke- it sort of is a defining characteristic of the car. When I got my car, and told my friends about it, the first question they invariably asked was if I had the yoke.

I didn’t have any issues with the Loaner S with yoke that I had when my car was in service. Got used to it within a day or so. But when I got my car back with the steering wheel, it just made me feel better.

Reactions: timberlights
I would imagine that it would be the cost of the yoke ($1k) plus the cost of labor. I have seen people on this forum who will do straight across trades, yoke for steering wheel. I don’t know that I have ever seen a post from someone who wants to trade a steering wheel for a yoke, but I bet you would find plenty of takers!

Joe

I have the wheel.

If Tesla will ever fix the Yoke (which currently feels a bit cheaper material wise), and if a new yoke design comes up, I will certainly consider paying Tesla $1000 to install the Yoke and give it a try.

How much does it cost now btw do replace the wheel with a yoke? curious.

I’m firmly in the wheel column, but … I agree with you.

Replacing the yoke with a wheel definitely removes a big part of what makes this car futuristic.

It’s a trade off I made for comfort. Whether it’s my decades of clearly-not-driving-school-approved technique or just plain stubbornness, I never got truly comfortable with the yoke. I’d find myself in awkward situations (ie a quick-snap u turn) where I was reaching for the wheel and grabbing air. That was disconcerting. I always felt “out of sorts” with the yoke.

I swear to you, I really gave it the ‘ol college try. I’ll be the first to admit that on highway cruising, the yoke is SUPER comfortable. Really gives you a great place to rest your hands without fatigue.

But I never really settled in. Just couldn’t get my groove.

Immediately after switching to the wheel, I finally LOVED my S. I guess I’m Linus and the wheel is my blanket.

Frankly - if I could rip the entire steering column out of my wife’s “classic” X and put it in my S, I’d be thrilled. At least the turn/wiper and autopilot stalks, anyway. Gear shifter has been absolutely fine on the digital display - that doesn’t need to be physical. I’ve learned to live with - not love - the haptic buttons, but sure prefer a turn stalk. (And more than that, the wiper controls. OMG do those suck on the S.)

But as much as I prefer the wheel setup, there’s no question I’ve “neutered” the S a bit. It’s another car now. Granted, a beautiful, timeless classic of a car, the pinnacle of what Tesla’s ever built - but it’s just another car. Less rocket ship, more sedan.

OP congrats on creating the most civilized discussion of yoke vs wheel on TMC. I couldn't agree with your post more, well stated.

The question about the switch from steering to yoke after delivery is a good one. I've gotten 2 conflicting answers from sales, haven't asked service yet.

I ordered MS LR yoke, would open up existing inventory to me if I knew for sure I can swab.

I would have never bought the S if the steering wheel was an option. I’ve tried driving with the Yoke for months. Just terrible all around. You have no true car control, it’s ****ing wide and makes the steering feel like a bus, u turns and 3 point turns with it are incredibly awkward, looks pretty ugly (subjective).

I personally have gotten the spaceship comment (whatever the **** that means) even with the steering wheel.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I'd say the opposite, take the yoke if you are not a gearhead, if you are not playful with the car (so much so that yoke would be a hazard), and if a vehicle is just a way to get from point A to point B and autopilot or fsd does most of your "driving".

(regarding the point about automatic vs. manual: nowdays automatic transmissions are so much better than manual ones only an uninformed person would prefer a manual stick, AI will just do everything better)

I'd say the opposite, take the yoke if you are not a gearhead, if you are not playful with the car (so much so that yoke would be a hazard), and if a vehicle is just a way to get from point A to point B and autopilot or fsd does most of your "driving".

(regarding the point about automatic vs. manual: nowdays automatic transmissions are so much better than manual ones only an uninformed person would prefer a manual stick, AI will just do everything better)
And there you’re getting into the crux of the issue. I like driving and Want to drive my own car. I drive 95% city and don’t use AP, obviously didn’t buy FSD. But it’s clear that Tesla and most of the industry are moving towards automation.

Disagree. No one buys stick because it’s faster. They buy it because it’s more fun and satisfying.

This is what I used to think before I had experienced a good modern automatic as a daily driver. I even bought it with the option to manually shift up/down, but 99% of the time the automatic performed same or better than human, so eventually it was obvious: what is the point of manual shifting when automatic works as well as your thoughts but without having to move your hand.

And when doing performance driving even with an automatic, no one lets the “AI” do the shifting. They’re always kept in manual mode for such things.
Well, Tesla's are mostly maid for straight line performance driving. Anyhow, why are we discussing ICE cars? I don't plant to own those any more and I will drive them only when there is no EV available. So I'd say no one buys stick any more.

I’m firmly in the wheel column, but … I agree with you.

Replacing the yoke with a wheel definitely removes a big part of what makes this car futuristic.

It’s a trade off I made for comfort. Whether it’s my decades of clearly-not-driving-school-approved technique or just plain stubbornness, I never got truly comfortable with the yoke. I’d find myself in awkward situations (ie a quick-snap u turn) where I was reaching for the wheel and grabbing air. That was disconcerting. I always felt “out of sorts” with the yoke.

I swear to you, I really gave it the ‘ol college try. I’ll be the first to admit that on highway cruising, the yoke is SUPER comfortable. Really gives you a great place to rest your hands without fatigue.

But I never really settled in. Just couldn’t get my groove.

Immediately after switching to the wheel, I finally LOVED my S. I guess I’m Linus and the wheel is my blanket.

Frankly - if I could rip the entire steering column out of my wife’s “classic” X and put it in my S, I’d be thrilled. At least the turn/wiper and autopilot stalks, anyway. Gear shifter has been absolutely fine on the digital display - that doesn’t need to be physical. I’ve learned to live with - not love - the haptic buttons, but sure prefer a turn stalk. (And more than that, the wiper controls. OMG do those suck on the S.)

But as much as I prefer the wheel setup, there’s no question I’ve “neutered” the S a bit. It’s another car now. Granted, a beautiful, timeless classic of a car, the pinnacle of what Tesla’s ever built - but it’s just another car. Less rocket ship, more sedan.

After over 100k miles on the yoke, my next will have the yoke. Love it and no issues at all.

I respect @dmurphy opinion. He tried and found it was not for him. It is not for everyone. But he did not come here spouting hyperbole and personal opinion/experience as universal truth. Glad there is an option for him and others that do not like the yoke.