Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Has replacing 12v battery helped in your case? I'm in same boat as you. No 12V messages yet, but car has been running water pumps at 100% 24x7. SC replaced one of pumps already and they blame hot weather in UK! I have scan my Tesla app and pack temperature is at 34C while I'm writing this post at 4am with outside temp of 19C. It stopped charging at 90% few hours ago and car was stationary since 10.30pm. Will check pack temperature at 6am...
I took the car to the SC yesterday and they kept it for a day and perform thermal test, all normal. They are blaming the hot weather in Texas which is questionable as it has been parked overnight. In my case, once I ope the door, wait for the AC to kicks in, and then close the door, the humming noise stops, you can try on yours and see if it works for you. I am going to replace the 12V battery myself this weekend to see if it eliminates the noise

I took the car to the SC yesterday and they kept it for a day and perform thermal test, all normal. They are blaming the hot weather in Texas which is questionable as it has been parked overnight. In my case, once I ope the door, wait for the AC to kicks in, and then close the door, the humming noise stops, you can try on yours and see if it works for you. I am going to replace the 12V battery myself this weekend to see if it eliminates the noise
Well, I replaced the 12V battery couple of days ago and I have used enough last night. I didn’t hear the humming sound this morning, the vampire drain seems to be normal, before it is almost 1 mile/hr unless I turn off sentry (not just exclude home) and cabin heat protection, next week will be better test as temperature will back to. 100s. The old battery resting voltage is still 12.65v but I didn’t test charging performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Just bought a used 2017 90D a few weeks ago and have been experiencing this constant humming + 1mi/hr vampire while parked in garage. Sentry mode is turned off. Seems like one possibility is a low 12V battery, but I don't have any alerts to replace it. Is there a way to test if the voltage on my 12V is low? Any other suggestions?

Just bought a used 2017 90D a few weeks ago and have been experiencing this constant humming + 1mi/hr vampire while parked in garage. Sentry mode is turned off. Seems like one possibility is a low 12V battery, but I don't have any alerts to replace it. Is there a way to test if the voltage on my 12V is low? Any other suggestions?

If there is an app connected to the car, the car won't go to sleep and you'll have vampire drain. That's the most common cause for high vampire drain.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert

Does the humming noise occur after charging?

To what % do you charge your 90D?

Reactions: gmo43
I notice the humming after I get home and park it - I check on it a few hours later and after it's ben parked overnight and the humming is still there.

In terms of % charge, It ranges. I've charged it at home at a L2 charger to 50-60%. I've charged it at a supercharger up to 70-90%. In both cases when parked at home, I hear the humming after it's been charged, but also after many hours/overnight.

I notice the humming after I get home and park it - I check on it a few hours later and after it's ben parked overnight and the humming is still there.

In terms of % charge, It ranges. I've charged it at home at a L2 charger to 50-60%. I've charged it at a supercharger up to 70-90%. In both cases when parked at home, I hear the humming after it's been charged, but also after many hours/overnight.

Does the car ever go to sleep, i.e, when you get in after hours of being parked do you see the instrument cluster and the large screen immediately on or you must wait a bit for them to come on?

Parked the car in the garage after a 20 miles easy drive today. Plugged in. The temperature outside ~78F, and ~68F inside the garage. About 6 hours later I'm still hearing a faint humming noise, the kind I usually notice when the car is being charged at home off the HPWC (the car is not charging during this time per schedule) and when the battery is being preconditioned. I've never heard this noise going for this long in 4 years of ownership. It also like the car is not going to sleep (the app connects to it instantly) and has drawn about 5 miles in 6 hours so far (it's not drawing power from the HPWC). I also noticed the front air intake flaps are closed (not sure if it's normal in this scenario). Submitted a bug report per Tesla support line. The sound is still going and not sure if it would ever stop. My guess is the coolant pump or faulty thermostat, but I'm not sure. Whatever keeps running should not be on for this long.

Any help would be appreciated.
dunno had mine since 2016, weird noises ALWAYS are happening when mine is plugged in, in the garage

dunno had mine since 2016, weird noises ALWAYS are happening when mine is plugged in, in the garage

Since I started this thread almost 4 years ago, a new HV battery pack was installed last summer due to a completely different issue. The humming noise disappeared shortly after. I'm not saying a HV battery replacement is the fix for the humming noise and high vampire drain issues necessarily, but other faulty components might be causing this issue, like a bad contactor keep staying closed or open/close frequently (if not due to a weak 12v).

I just read this. My bran new Y was doing it.
"As high temperatures can lead to battery degradation over time, the coolant pump will work to keep the battery of the parked Tesla as close to 72°F (~22°C) as possible, thus creating the humming sound you hear coming from your parked car."

I just read this. My bran new Y was doing it.
"As high temperatures can lead to battery degradation over time, the coolant pump will work to keep the battery of the parked Tesla as close to 72°F (~22°C) as possible, thus creating the humming sound you hear coming from your parked car."
I don't think your Model Y was doing that.

But what a Model Y will do is harvest heat/cool from the cabin after you stop and store it in the battery. But that only runs for a little while after you stop.

Also, I think by default "Cabin Overheat Protection" is enabled, which will run the fans, and possibly AC compressor if enabled, for up to 12 hours after you park.

These days I usually charge to 50%. 1) I do not need more range, and 2) to avoid the pumps running at higher SoC. Two days ago I charged to 90% after a long time. The pumps ran non-stop for hours. I lost 6 miles of range accordingly. I believe pumps stopped at about 80%.
just found this thread - late 2016 model S - same problem I charge to 90% and let sit there - i believe the humming is the pumps - seems to have gone away after vampire drained itself to 80%. Will try keeping at SoC 80% and see if that helps.

Just wanted to circle back - my problem was solved after my 12V battery was replaced. Annoying because I think the 12V was low for a good 6 months before I got the alert that it needed to be replaced. Tech said that the humming is the car keeping the systems running because the 12V battery is low.