Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conundrum about purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the same thoughts as you regarding the AP1 or 2. AP1 works almost as good as AP2 at this time but it is not up-gradable. At first I thought autopilot was so cool. Now I'm wondering if I would trust it even with more advancements. I like driving except in stop and go freeway traffic and it seems that AP1 is sufficient for that.

I just read today that Tesla started offering 2 year leases in the 3rd quarter of 2016. That means there should be a lot more availability of those AP2 units on late model 16's and subsequent 17's as time goes by. Price wise they should drop significantly.The 2015 85d's are about 8k less than they were in August. At this point in time Tesla has over 1,000 used units for sale. They are starting to discover that 50k-80k used vehicles aren't as easy to sell as they had hoped. Their lack of a dealer network is really being felt in this area. In addition they don't appear to have a cogent marketing plan. I haven't seen any advertising of their used inventory. Their customer service, when looking for a used one, is abysmal. If they are forced to start dumping used inventory at the Adesa and Manheim auctions look for prices to tumble precipitously.

Jegs agree with your two points: I question future viability of AP1 past say AP3, and it'll work fine as cruise control on steroids, but upgrade-ability is where it will become obsolete: With the big push right now to sell as many S vehicles they can in this last quarter, there will likely be a lot of 15s and 16s (other posts on this forum have said Tesla has offered to let people out of their S leases early to get a new car now)

Kind of same subject - here's my exemplar problem:
https://www.maseratiofallentown.com/used-Allentown-2018-Tesla-Model+S-75D-5YJSA1E21JF234253

2018 S 75D with 3 yrs bumper to bumper and 7yrs powertrain remaining for basically $67k vs 2015 S85 with AP1 and 25k miles for $57k. But I know in a few years that $67k will only be worth 35k....

Dzm