Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conundrum about purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, Newbee here with a survey question:
Looking to purchase a used S for the wife. Would you buy a 2015/2016 "Used" from Tesla (85D, 90D or 75D) with the 4yr warranty and an AP1 configuration, or would you buy a late model year 2016, as in Dec, 75D with an AP2.0 configuration and the remainder of the original warranty (just about 2 yrs) from a 3rd party dealer; or would you wait until some more AP 2.0 75Ds start showing up at Tesla?

The little older from S direct from Tesla seems to offer more options for about 6k less than the newer AP 2.0 75D, but they/it is older, more miles, and at some point I'm sure they'll drop support for AP 1.0 or at least freeze development.

I did inquire on the for sale board on this forum with a member but no repsonse regarding his for sale. I'd really prefer to buy from an individual, but not many are selling.

Thoughts? and TIA,
DZM

You should buy the one that gets me referral credit :)

But seriously-

If the newer used is private party, you can get the extended warranty as an option. Might make them a bit more similar.

I’d tend to a newer one if the warranty can be added.

Do note - an extended warranty has a deductible.

Yeah I know what you're talking about. They have a new 75D with 2200 miles for $83, then subtract federal tax credit. Unfortunately Virginia gives us nothing like CA so the 7500 is it. New is ostensibly $76k. But I hate buying depreciating assets like a car brand new...just a me thing.

DZM

You should buy the one that gets me referral credit :)

But seriously-

If the newer used is private party, you can get the extended warranty as an option. Might make them a bit more similar.

I’d tend to a newer one if the warranty can be added.

Do note - an extended warranty has a deductible.
I think the dealer option is a no-go. You mention it indirectly in your post, but the OP may not be aware that they CAN'T get the extended warranty on a car purchased from a dealer.

BerTX,
Yup, I know 3rd party can not get extended warranty. But if the car has 2yrs remaining Tesla warranty for bumper to bumper, and 6yrs power train that should be good right? We're talking VINs in the 16X,XXX region, not 000,010 so I assume they have the kinks worked out of the mechanicals. The used from Tesla is a 15 with a VIN just at 100,000.

Dzm

Yes new depreciates faster but 2nd hand dealers ask a premium for Teslas (at least in my area) where it makes more sense to buy new. That $7500 really makes a difference. If you want the least depreciation look the oldest models possible, just the way it works.

Hi Neebee...

I did just (Oct '18) buy a used 2015 MS 85D from Tesla. I may have been lucky, but the car was pristine and is getting 269+ miles range.
I think AP1 is fine. I think the BWDM and LED fogs and premium sound might have been nice, but do not miss them. Love the PR, and Air suspension. Great to have 4yr warrany. Have not done the version 9 upgrade, do not intend to. Only very minor problems so far. Never been out of chill mode despite a 4k road trip across the USA. EV CPO is a bit buggy, but does have the option codes for a given VIN. However, I prefer the Tesla site in general. Call the local Tesla rep, they can be very helpful, will send you pics and the orig Mulrony window sticker. Buying PP is like buying a pig in a poke, unless you are very knowledgable and careful.

in regards to the other posts, a new MS 75d would run 89k before tax. I got the 2015 MS 85D with AP and greater range, 19k miles for 58,100.

I can't use the tax credit, retired. Free supercharging i can use, and it is for the LIFE of the car. You wont get that from Dealer or PP.

Purchased mine end of quarter, perhaps I was lucky. Have nor seen anything as good since.

Looking to purchase a used S for the wife. Would you buy a 2015/2016 "Used" from Tesla (85D, 90D or 75D) with the 4yr warranty and an AP1 configuration, or would you buy a late model year 2016, as in Dec, 75D with an AP2.0 configuration and the remainder of the original warranty (just about 2 yrs) from a 3rd party dealer; or would you wait until some more AP 2.0 75Ds start showing up at Tesla?

The little older from S direct from Tesla seems to offer more options for about 6k less than the newer AP 2.0 75D, but they/it is older, more miles, and at some point I'm sure they'll drop support for AP 1.0 or at least freeze development.

I did inquire on the for sale board on this forum with a member but no repsonse regarding his for sale. I'd really prefer to buy from an individual, but not many are selling.

Thoughts? and TIA,
DZM

I've had the same thoughts as you regarding the AP1 or 2. AP1 works almost as good as AP2 at this time but it is not up-gradable. At first I thought autopilot was so cool. Now I'm wondering if I would trust it even with more advancements. I like driving except in stop and go freeway traffic and it seems that AP1 is sufficient for that.

I just read today that Tesla started offering 2 year leases in the 3rd quarter of 2016. That means there should be a lot more availability of those AP2 units on late model 16's and subsequent 17's as time goes by. Price wise they should drop significantly.The 2015 85d's are about 8k less than they were in August. At this point in time Tesla has over 1,000 used units for sale. They are starting to discover that 50k-80k used vehicles aren't as easy to sell as they had hoped. Their lack of a dealer network is really being felt in this area. In addition they don't appear to have a cogent marketing plan. I haven't seen any advertising of their used inventory. Their customer service, when looking for a used one, is abysmal. If they are forced to start dumping used inventory at the Adesa and Manheim auctions look for prices to tumble precipitously.

Thoughts? and TIA,
DZM
Keep in mind Tesla is having major issues with service and parts. If your car requires service, you'll be waiting weeks to diagnose and even longer (potentially months) to get parts. If that means the car can't be driven, you're out of luck - warranty does not cover loaner cars, those are good will only and Tesla is really short on those given the number of Model 3's needing service. What I'm saying is if your wife expects Toyota or Honda reliability, hold off on your Tesla purchase. I got my wife one, kind of wishing I would have waited for the Etron, specially now that with the Model 3's flooded the service centers resulting in a month+ wait to see you. It's not fun getting a phone call from your wife that the car can't be driven and she's stuck in a freezing parking lot somewhere, and Tesla takes weeks to check it out and weeks more to get parts to fix it. :(

I see you're in Virginia. I'm not sure who you had in mind for a dealer, but I would stay far away from Imperial Highline. All the cars in their lot have accidents on the carfax, plus they don't flex much on the price. All the cars Tesla can't put in their used inventory due to an accident end up at auction, which eventually lands them on used car lots.

Keep in mind Tesla is having major issues with service and parts. If your car requires service, you'll be waiting weeks to diagnose and even longer (potentially months) to get parts. If that means the car can't be driven, you're out of luck - warranty does not cover loaner cars, those are good will only and Tesla is really short on those given the number of Model 3's needing service. What I'm saying is if your wife expects Toyota or Honda reliability, hold off on your Tesla purchase. I got my wife one, kind of wishing I would have waited for the Etron, specially now that with the Model 3's flooded the service centers resulting in a month+ wait to see you. It's not fun getting a phone call from your wife that the car can't be driven and she's stuck in a freezing parking lot somewhere, and Tesla takes weeks to check it out and weeks more to get parts to fix it. :(
As far as getting into a Service Center no doubt this is true in a few isolated locations, but in general there is still no problem. In some areas, the service people are sitting around with time on their hands.

I can't speak to parts availability, maybe there is a problem with some parts, and maybe the TM3 is more of a problem since it is new. I have only had one part replaced on the MS, (headlight) in two+years, and it was in stock.

Another Newbee in a similar situation as dzmconst, also looking to buy a used S (2017, 75) from a 3rd party dealer. I understand that I will get the remainder of the original warranty, but Tesla's policy prevents me from buying the extended warranty. My question is, if I then sell the car privately once the original warranty expires, would that new owner be able to buy the extended warranty, as they technically purchased it privately, or as the car has a 3rd party dealer in its sales history this forever prevents an extended warranty purchase?

Another Newbee in a similar situation as dzmconst, also looking to buy a used S (2017, 75) from a 3rd party dealer. I understand that I will get the remainder of the original warranty, but Tesla's policy prevents me from buying the extended warranty. My question is, if I then sell the car privately once the original warranty expires, would that new owner be able to buy the extended warranty, as they technically purchased it privately, or as the car has a 3rd party dealer in its sales history this forever prevents an extended warranty purchase?
As I understand it, it's not the private party issue. The extended warranty can only be purchased by the original owner of the car. Having bought two CPO's from Tesla I would never by from a private party or a third party dealer.

As I understand it, it's not the private party issue. The extended warranty can only be purchased by the original owner of the car. Having bought two CPO's from Tesla I would never by from a private party or a third party dealer.

I believe Tesla changed that policy last year, so additional owners can by the ESA if it wasn't purchased through a 3rd party dealer. My goal is to purchase a CPO from Tesla, but I am having a hard time finding the right one. I happened to find one with the specs I wanted at a 3rd-party dealer, but will likely avoid purchasing it as I think the ESA challenges may cause me challenges in the future.

'Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.'

Hi Neebee...

I did just (Oct '18) buy a used 2015 MS 85D from Tesla. I may have been lucky, but the car was pristine and is getting 269+ miles range.
I think AP1 is fine. I think the BWDM and LED fogs and premium sound might have been nice, but do not miss them. Love the PR, and Air suspension. Great to have 4yr warrany. Have not done the version 9 upgrade, do not intend to. Only very minor problems so far. Never been out of chill mode despite a 4k road trip across the USA. EV CPO is a bit buggy, but does have the option codes for a given VIN. However, I prefer the Tesla site in general. Call the local Tesla rep, they can be very helpful, will send you pics and the orig Mulrony window sticker. Buying PP is like buying a pig in a poke, unless you are very knowledgable and careful.

Aerodyne,
Thanks for the input. Would you mind if I started a conversation with you about your purchase and experience on the forum?
DZM

As far as getting into a Service Center no doubt this is true in a few isolated locations, but in general there is still no problem. In some areas, the service people are sitting around with time on their hands.
We have 2 large service centers around Seattle, both have long wait lists. Maybe Tesla's are a good purchase only for those who live in areas where there is a service center but people don't buy a lot of them?

I can't speak to parts availability, maybe there is a problem with some parts, and maybe the TM3 is more of a problem since it is new. I have only had one part replaced on the MS, (headlight) in two+years, and it was in stock.
Maybe that was before the Model 3 floodgates opened. Back a year or more, service centers were able to get parts within a week or two. Yes, sometimes the parts were bad design (like the mirrors in late 2016/early 2017 that had a design flaw which made them not unfold) but at least hey had them available (we had 3 mirror assemblies on 2017 Model S before getting one that works, after they fixed the design). We are now waiting for a Model S trunk latch coming up on a month and they don't even have an ETA, so things have definitely declined. Any other car manufacturer would have had the latch replaced within a week, probably on day 1. Of course I have never had a trunk latch fail on any other manufacturer car I owned, but maybe I just got unlucky with Tesla (only 1 out of the 4 I owned had a latch failure).