Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convert Double 110 to Something Else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fry_Esq.

2020 Model Y / PUP / Blue / White / FSD
I have a standard 110 outlet with two plugs. Is there any way to convert the two 110s to one something a bit stronger? I have a 6-20 at my office that does 10 miles per hour and that would be perfect for me at home. Seems like it's possible since there's two plugs and 4 wires and it can obviously handle two things plugged in at once. My box is too far from the garage to practically get thicker wiring. Any thoughts appreciated.

It depends if the voltage between the two outlet's hot wires is 240V or 0V. There are also either 3 or 5 wires since you are ignoring the ground wire.

In any case, you can increase the voltage over 2 wires and upgrade to a 6-15 outlet. Place black electrician tape around the neutral white wire on both sides and then install a double pole 15 AMP breaker wiring the black and white wires to it. Then replace the outlet with a 6-15.

15 amps is the current and is related to the wire size. Voltage does not relate to wire size, so you can carry more power over the same wires using a higher voltage.

But technically you will need to get an electrician or electrical permits from your city to do this work.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H