Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

convince me that elon is an engineer, at heart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear, time and time again, how much of a 'genius' elon is. and how he has a good handle on technical issues.

can someone help me understand why people believe this? I'd like to see some examples of HIS designs, or HIS implementation. by himself or in a very small group where he was the key designer.

are there any public works that I can look at that has his 'mark' on it? mechanical designs or drawings? source code? algorithms? pseudocode? prototypes? proof of concepts?

I'd really like to see what kinds of things he has done, before becoming a rich person. is there anything we can see that isn't NDA-locked away?

Reactions: MitchMitch

he designed all of paypal and wrote their code?

let me be more clear about what I'm asking. we all know he's a successful businessman. that's not what I'm asking, here.

I'm asking what technical things he has been known for, as in actually implementing something.

I'm not interested in business deals or imagining things. again, he's known for that in the business and 'vision' domains. he has shown a lot of vision - and that's great - but again, its not what I'm asking.

he designed all of paypal and wrote their code?

yes, he designed the X.com transaction platform. Which later merged with Confinity and renamed as Paypal. What he designed there was a financial platform much more comprehensive than what Paypal ended up being. Did he code the entire thing? No, but I'm sure he coded quite a bit of it.

But as mentioned above, your general attitude is already dismissive, so I'll only suggest you read this excellent biograpy by Ashlee Vance to learn of his actual accomplishments and engineering: https://www.amazon.com/Elon-Musk-SpaceX-Fantastic-Future/dp/006230125X

There's a story in the book about a software engineer that was trying to explain to Musk that what Musk was asking for wasn't possible in the timeframe given. So Musk said "Ok, along with running SpaceX and Tesla, I now have to do your job too?". And he did. He finished the coding task overnight.

Read the book.

the point of my question was to find out why there is so much hero worship for him, in a technical sense.

he promises FSD and denies that lidar is needed and says stuff about covid that shocks the concience. when I looked at the google scholar list (btw, it includes more than elon, the search was just on 'musk') I still didn't see anything that would have me truly believe he knows what he's talking about, when he makes date and functionality predictions.

I like my car, I have respect for the actual engineers who design the product, debug it, make it work. but I have a natural suspicion about the managers, and he seems much more like a manager than an implementer.

so far, still no concrete links to what he, himself, even in early years, actually *did* in terms of designing or getting something to work. more than just stories, please, as anyone can make stories up.

yes, I'm a skeptic when it comes to musk and his views on how and when the level 5 features are going to get there. I'm not hiding that that's my view on the subject, but I'm at a loss to understand why people keep believing him.

Read the book.

is there nothing that is online that I can see that shows the man's actual work?

its not a hard question. and if the answer is no, then that's fine, but I'd like to see some actual examples of his work. you can tell a lot by how a person approaches a problem and what style of implementation they take.

I'm willing to join the hero worship club but I need to see something that he, himself, did.

and no, I'm not buying a book just to get that answer. in the online world we live in, you should not have to 'buy a book' to get some simple info like this. if its not there or not public, again, that's fine, but I'd really like to see what the guy really can do, on his own. truly doing actual work that he was mostly responsible for, and not paying someone to do.

Not impressive, technically? He sold it to Compaq for $307million.

why are you talking sales and money? I make it quite clear that I don't judge a person by how much or little they make. for me, its not about how much money he can make for himself or his investors or even his employees.

is this an intentional attempt to change the subject?

is there nothing that is online that I can see that shows the man's actual work?

Stop trying to get other people to do your own reseach.

its not a hard question. and if the answer is no, then that's fine, but I'd like to see some actual examples of his work. you can tell a lot by how a person approaches a problem and what style of implementation they take.

Then I suggest you contact Musk's PR firm and set up an interview so you can ask him yourself. I think if you read the book I suggested, you would learn an awful lot about how Musk approaches a problem and his style of implementation.

why are you talking sales and money? I make it quite clear that I don't judge a person by how much or little they make. for me, its not about how much money he can make for himself or his investors or even his employees.

is this an intentional attempt to change the subject?

I guess you're clearly not understanding or being intentionally obtuse. He designed and coded Zip2, which is much more than a "database join" as you dismissively describe. There obviously was significant technical innovations in the software (yes, there were despite your opinion) to cause Compaq to buy it for $307m and merge it into AltaVista. "Sales and money" is how technological innovations are measured in this society. Zip2 was doing what nobody else was even thinking of at the time. Musk was also able to black label Zip2 platform for many major newspapers including NYT. At the time, nobody was thinking of a hyper-local online searchable business directory with maps and directions. Musk built that. Himself.

and no, I'm not buying a book just to get that answer. in the online world we live in, you should not have to 'buy a book' to get some simple info like this

And now you're just trolling us and wasting our time. There are non-DTB ways to consume the same content.

And yes, sometimes you do have to 'buy a book' to pay people to do the research you want to get for free.

Here, I've added some red circles in case you can't figure it out yourself:

upload_2020-8-7_7-29-33.png

Also, at just 12 years old, Musk coded and published a space fighting game called “Blastar” which later sold for $500 to trade publication PC and Office Technology magazine.

He also is the chief architect for SpaceX. Maybe other people wrote the actual code, but he is the mastermind behind the entire company and probably understands space flight better than anyone else on the planet. But I guess since I can't show you actual design documents in his handwriting (surely they are not public), that doesn't count.

Goodbye.