Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooma to Melb in SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone done the Cooma to Melb via Hume run with an SR+ recently?

Doing the run SW via Jindy/Thredbo or Cabramurra/Khancoban to the Wodonga SC does not leave a lot of margin (says need to stay below 90KM/H for that leg, unless you charge in Jindy.

2022-03-21 15_18_32-ABRP.png

I've been NW via Tumut as there is a Dest charger there, and you have Tarcutta just south of the road join from the snowy, but this seems to be backtracking and when I did it 18months ago, it's very hilly with lots of roadworks.

2022-03-21 15_16_26-ABRP.png

ABRP also suggest a more westerly route via Tumbarumba that brings you out further south along the Hume at Holbrook to charge at the NRMA Submarine Park. This looks like a compromise - has anyone done this route?

2022-03-21 15_14_51-ABRP.png

Last edited:
Still waiting for my M3P, so my response doesn't help your situation any, but the route from Kiandra to Corryong is one of my favourite roads to drive (beaten only by turning left at Tallangata and driving the Omeo Hwy to Omeo).

I'm surprised there's nothing in Corryong yet, but lunch in Tallangata while charging at the caravan park to get you back to civilisation might be an option. Plugshare tells me it's 271km from Cooma Supercharger to Tallangata (generally) which has a chance of being within range.

I used one of the Jindabyne chargers a week ago. No issues at all. Just bring bug spray and a cobweb brush if you're squeamish. They aren't used very much this time of the year.

As @cafz said, Jindabyne to Wodonga is notionally within the range of a 60kWh Shanghai SR+, assuming you're gentle uphill and let regen do its thing downhill. But yeah, it's borderline for my 50kWh Fremont SR+. If it were me I'd call Thredbo Alpine Hotel, ask if they do lunch, and ask how much it'd cost to use their destination charger for an hour (+25%/hr in my experience on a charger like theirs). That'll cover whatever you burned to get uphill from Jindabyne to Thredbo (substantial), and easily add enough to reach Wodonga (226km).

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
You could also consider the Princess Hwy route to Melb. Charge at NRMA Bega next Marlo Hotel ,Sale and Moe
Easier to do the Tumut route and use Evie at Tarcutta. If you feel nervous, just stop in at the Tumut River Brewing Co and plug in for a bathroom break and a snack. But if you’re well-charged at Cooma, you’ll make it.

While Tumut feels like a detour, it’d pale in comparison to a detour off the Princes Highway to Marlo and back for a slow AC charge there.

Reactions: cafz