Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coordinating roofer with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any of you tried coordinating solar install while re-roofing? Will Tesla work with roofers on timing and installation?

Below is what my roofer is suggesting:
It’s in your best interest for them to install the bracketing system during our installation process. That way we provide the water proofing and they provide the solar. IF they install after we’re done and penetrate the roof, our warranty is voided in the areas they make holes.

There are two potential costs associated with doing the jobs at the same time.

If WE provide the flashings and install the roofing, the charge is $25 per roof penetration.

If THEY provide the flashings and we simply install roofing around the penetrations there is a $15 per penetration coast for the additional labor.

If we’re going to be working with them on the install in either of the above options, it’s advisable that you put me in contact with their rep so we can make sure they are using the proper bracketing system.

Based on other stories and my own experience, the short answer is going to be a no from Tesla.

I don't think I've seen any recent stories of someone successfully doing this. You can certainly try but keep your expectations low.

As long as you get a water tight warranty from Tesla I don't think is going to be an issue. I have one 12 year old Tesla (nee SolarCity) installed, no leaks so far. I have another one of a different house that previously had solar, they wouldn't reuse the existing mounts. They actually had their roofer "restore" the roof and they did normal installation on it, this was about 6 years ago, also still water tight. Most recently (last year) I had to get the underlayment replaced on an investment property with a concrete tile roof that I purchased that had a SolarCity/Tesla solar on it. Tesla removed the panels and they told me to have my roofers just put a solid roof back on and not worry about provisioning for the solar (e.g. preserving the existing mounts). After the roof was completely done they came back and reinstalled the solar.

Reactions: arthurk192
My roofer came back after the Tesla install to make sure they were happy with what Tesla did. If your roofer is not willing to keep the warranty, you may possibly consider another roofer. If they are going to be hard-nosed about this then they are possibly going to be difficult on other things.

However, warranty stuff isn't something I'm too worried about though. Say in 15 years I start to have a leak. What is that going to cost to fix? Even a bad leak that has gone unnoticed for a while, possibly might cost a couple thousand to repair decking, fascia, and some drywall. In the scheme of things it isn't really that much. And this is an extreme. Also, in 15 years it is unlikely the small local roofing company will still be around anyways.

Reactions: arthurk192