Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corded Mobile Connector -- 120v across the L1 - L2 legs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
I'm looking at the Corded Mobile Connector as a semi-stationary charging solution while I keep my UMC in the car for the odd "emergency" use. I have some special circumstances that require me to use a lot of RV-30 amp connections for which I created my own adapter that uses the NEMA 14-50 plug on the UMC, but puts 120v 30a across the L1 and L2 connections of the UMC (this way, I can charge on 120v up to 24amps).

So, my question is... does anyone know --for sure-- if the Corded Mobile Connector can support this same 120v L1 to L2 voltage? Or does it, like the HPWC, only support 240v (thus accounting for the lower cost).

Thanks in advance!
LK

Hey all,
I'm looking at the Corded Mobile Connector as a semi-stationary charging solution while I keep my UMC in the car for the odd "emergency" use. I have some special circumstances that require me to use a lot of RV-30 amp connections for which I created my own adapter that uses the NEMA 14-50 plug on the UMC, but puts 120v 30a across the L1 and L2 connections of the UMC (this way, I can charge on 120v up to 24amps).

So, my question is... does anyone know --for sure-- if the Corded Mobile Connector can support this same 120v L1 to L2 voltage? Or does it, like the HPWC, only support 240v (thus accounting for the lower cost).

Thanks in advance!
LK
Huh. That is an interesting question. I am familiar with the TT-30 adapters for the UMC, and I have one from EVSEAdapters. But that is an interesting thought, since the molded-on plug would only be plugging into 14-50 outlets, it shouldn't have a need to use 120V ever.

However, I think just simple parts compatibility would say that it should still work the same way and take 120V or 240V, simply because the box of electronics in the middle of the cable is almost certainly the same box on the UMC or the molded-plug version. I don't see Tesla wanting to have two different versions of that just to remove 120V capability from one.

Still, probably need someone to check to make sure.

Got to test today, and GREAT NEWS! It works!

To be clear, the new, corded mobile connector ( with a hard-wired NEMA 14-50 plug ) will accept 120v across the L1 and L2 connections just like the original UMC. This means you can use any of the available adapters (or make your own) that provide 120v or 240v to the NEMA 14-50 plug just as you could with the UMC.

Woot!