Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Corrective Steering" error?? New to 2019.16.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out early morning making a left corner at an "intersection" [on a non-public road]. Not certain of the speed but it'd be under 30mph, turn was a 90, no road line markings, and the vehicle threw up an error and it maybe felt like something happened with the front wheels. Road was dry asphalt, clean surface, about 25C, PS4S at about 45 PSI (I hadn't gotten around to dropping them yet since the Tesla Rally trip). It was dark out, there are some fences around on theater side of the ditches. I was surprised, and driving, and didn't take a picture of it before it went away but my recollection is it said something like "Corrective Steering Taken For Safety", and an error beep.

I haven't tried yet to reproduce, but has anyone seen this? I went through the settings and can't figure out what this might be linked to. Or if it is an option? I'm concerned that Tesla has added something new and it's going to be going off at very in-opportune times.

<edit> The reason I ask if this is new to 16.2 is I was trying normal, er, typical and I've gone through this section of road uncounted times. Even with near matches on conditions. There was nothing visually different, no extra objects or anything.

Last edited:
Yes its Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance.... its part of 16.2/15.11, press the T in your car to read the release notes
There was no "lane"! :p And, as far as I can tell, I was mid-corner when this triggered. So that's what ELDA activating looks like?

I hadn't seen anywhere in the release notes description how to activate or de-activate it, or what option it might be attached to. It is written as though it just is an inherent part of the car. Reading it again now I still don't. Any idea on that? Because I can't be having this on, it'll be a freaking disaster. :(

Thanks for the post SammichLover. I have this update but the roads and markings are very normal in my area. I actually tested out this feature on my first drive after the install and am now familiar with the behavior. It is good to know about this software versions' behaviors on less than optimal roads/road markings.

• Helpful
Reactions: SammichLover
Very interesting…

I was excited for the ability of the car to take corrective action with the new update, but I turned it off after about a week. I don’t recall any false positives, but it’s a strong enough steering action to make me uncomfortable with it. It engaged a few times when I was lightly swerving to avoid roadkill or give a bicyclist some room, which attempted to drive me into what I was steering around. I got to try the Toyota system on a business trip last week in a rental Corolla and was impressed, it’s a much more of a gentle “nudge” then the Tesla system currently uses.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jeff Hudson