Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple mechanics/Tesla SC visits, steering wheel vibration not fixed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'22 M3P, I have a very slight vibration at low speeds on almost any road surface, but more noticeable on smooth surfaces. Above 80 mph the vibration becomes very evident. I had the car aligned after putting H&R lowering springs on it and it drove great for a long time. No abnormal wear on tires.

I have taken it to the mountains for fun driving and I accelerate hard every chance I get, but I've never hit any large bumps, never curbed a wheel.

I wondered if a bushing was to blame, but I will be checking half shafts next time I take it in for an alignment and rotation, which should be pretty soon. I've had the car for 1 year now, about 10 months of which it has been lowered.

This thread has been helpful, hopefully you find the cause.
your problem sounds very similar to mine (model 3 long range ‘21). I hear the vibration more than I can feel it, and its most noticeable on smooth roads. Start to notice at speeds of around 50mph but gets louder at higher speeds. Ive balanced the wheels and made sure alignment is okay. I do have inner tire wear that seems to be coming from excess, albeit within spec, toe in of the rear tires. Heres a video:
Let me know what you end up finding! Its frustrating not to be able to get a straight answer for what seems like a simple issue

your problem sounds very similar to mine (model 3 long range ‘21). I hear the vibration more than I can feel it, and its most noticeable on smooth roads. Start to notice at speeds of around 50mph but gets louder at higher speeds. Ive balanced the wheels and made sure alignment is okay. I do have inner tire wear that seems to be coming from excess, albeit within spec, toe in of the rear tires. Heres a video:
Let me know what you end up finding! Its frustrating not to be able to get a straight answer for what seems like a simple issue
Yours sounds more like growling, I'd check bearings just to make sure as it's a big safety issue.

Reactions: Yozer34
One more thing to note. If your tires are worn on the inside it's likely cupping/feathering from hard acceleration with your camber being not adjustable. This means you hear and feel the vibration cause it's like you're driving on uneven tires.

I'd say you have options but it's gonna cost.

- First, buy the MPP rear adjustable control arms to allow a mechanic to be able to adjust it so this won't happen again.

- Buy some new tires, you can't fix cupping easy, first verify they are cupped.

- Tesla are heavy, and with the amount of torque they put out, I'd expect my tires to last fractions of the time they are meant to if I'm flooring it and driving crazy. Even if not, they still wear quick.

I'd recommend what the guy said above too eventually, buy some higher quality axle shafts. I know for a fact there's a defect in the air suspension models and flooring the car makes them bend eventually. I'm sure it can happen in 3s as well if you are agresive enough.

I had spacers (parts more likely to break and wear) on mine and drove like a maniac, now I'm paying for it, but it was still worth it.

Reactions: Yozer34
Here's the best explanation I can give:

- Steering wheel vibration is noticeable at any speed over 20km/h. At some points I can feel the entire car vibrating, especially at 80km+. It gets to the point that my hands feel tingly and almost numb.

Heres the history of when my issues started:

Old tires/spacer issue.
Bought a 2021 LR off someone about 3 months ago. Drove great, no issues, decent thread on tires etc. Bought some parts for the car including spacers (25mm back and front). After the install it turns out that mechanic did not align the car, and it caused thos tires to cup and feather.

New tires (June 14th)
continental extreme contact dws06+

Bought a new set of tires after these got ruined, had the car alignment done, these tires were amazing and felt smooth, nothing like my current issues. 0 issues for close to 14 days.

Vibration started on a road trip through BC without cause. I took it to a mechanic there and they removed the spacers per my request because I figured it might be the root cause.

After 24hr took it to another mechanic and they diagnosed the vibrations to be due to cupping and feathering again!

I called up Kal tire and ordered a new pair (Michelin pilot sport S4) about 4 days ago. They installed them, alignment was done due to it being out again, and balance.

After a couple hours of driving a vibration was coming from the steering wheel. My car was also drifting out of lanes on the highway.

I took it back, they said the balance was off by 0.75 ish on 3 of them then balanced them again.

Same issue next day, took it to another mechanic, they re-balanced them and said it was off by 0.75-1.0

Again.. took it on the highway, no real difference.

Took it to a tesla SC today, they said the alignment wasn't done properly, and that someone counterbalanced the wheels. They fixed that, realigned all 4, then said it was good to go.

Took it for a drive, better, but not fixed, it's still vibrating to the point I have to loosen my grip, turn autopilot on etc. Still slightly drifts.

Two of their mechanics said it's perfect and he dont feel anything.

So where I'm at now is thinking something far worse is wrong, yes I have driven the car when it had 0 issues and loved it, yes there is something wrong that I know for a fact was not there before.

I'm stumped, I have another appointment set up at Kal tire to see if the tires may be the issue but that's in a week.

I've spent so much trying to fix this, any advice is appreciated.
I’m still fighting this ongoing vibration issue. I’m at a loss. Tried everything. 2015 S 85D 12visits in 10 months to.TSC new suspension components wheels tires alignments balancing. Nothing has improved it one bit. Even went from 21 inch to 19 inch as a test vibration is still there.

Tesla says they don’t feel any excessive vibration, keyword excessive, which is extremely subjective. On an extended drive my hand goes numb a bit.

I’m still fighting this ongoing vibration issue. I’m at a loss. Tried everything. 2015 S 85D 12visits in 10 months to.TSC new suspension components wheels tires alignments balancing. Nothing has improved it one bit. Even went from 21 inch to 19 inch as a test vibration is still there.

Tesla says they don’t feel any excessive vibration, keyword excessive, which is extremely subjective. On an extended drive my hand goes numb a bit.
Drive shafts?

Drive shafts?
Front? I’m thinking about installing them since Tesla won’t acknowledge the problem just to see if it helps. It more feels like there is a missing bushing and you are feeling every single road vibration into the steering wheel. Even at 10 miles an hour or 20 miles, an hour 30 miles an hour is about the same as 60 or 80 miles an hour which leads me to believe it’s not driveshafts. Feels like bone bone direct vibration with no isolation bushings but everything seems to check out OK. I’m afraid it might be just a poor design.

Makes me hate this vehicle and hate driving it. I love everything else about it well, except for the front drive unit whining noise and rear drive unit clunk. Oh, and wind noise and creeks. Never mind I don’t like the vehicle.
this is the Model 3 forum. And if you hate the car just sell it, all kinds of other cars and EVs out there to drive these days.