Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cosmetic issues on a lease car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I'm picking up a new M3 soon that I'm leasing, and I'm new to leasing. Speaking as someone who's not particularly bothered about cosmetic issues myself, how much of a fine tooth comb do I need to use when I collect the car? If there are some paintwork blemishes or whatever, is "the car came like that" going to be a valid defence when I hand it back to the leasing company, or are they going to say "you should have got Tesla to fix it, so now it's on you"?

Thanks in advance!

I lease an M3P. On collection, I went round the car and found... no blemishes. If it's a tiny blemish then I don't think it'll be an issue.

However, each lease company is different in what it deems acceptable, so contact the lease company and get a steer from then.

Be very careful. Anything that can’t be explained away as fair wear and tear at the end of the lease will result in a charge. They do check thoroughly in my experience.

Most of the companies use the BVRLA fair wear and tear guidelines. They used to be available online, but I couldn’t find them easily. They define sizes of dings etc. The lease company then has a schedule of charges for different types of damage. Some of them are very reasonable, others not so much. Mine had several defects that wouldn’t have passed inspection. Tesla put them all right though.

Reactions: Cyclone1
Document every condition-based issue, no matter how small and give the lease company time to write back to you with their instructions on whether they want them corrected - and make it clear those issues are their problem. Also make it clear you are not accepting responsibility for Items 1,2,3 etc. Always copy both Tesla and the lease company into every communication.

In 3 or 4 years time if there is no evidence to fall back on then any blemishes or damage outside of “normal wear and tear” are your problem.