TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cost Effective Option for Dashcam and Rear Jump Seat Camera

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by nkohlimd, Jun 1, 2013.

1. nkohlimd

nkohlimd Member

#1 nkohlimd, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Scheduled for my radar detector/laser jammer install next weekend-will follow artsci's lead and mount all the brains and switches in the cubby woth a custom template. ordered the following mirror from China for $180.

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Car_Video/Mirror_Monitors/Car_Rearview_Mirror_with_Front_and_Back_Camera_and_Built-in_5_Inch_Monitor_-_Bluetooth_720p_recording/

Just received yesterday. Pics below. Quality is good. The mirror is solid as a clamp-on with no shake. Plan on putting a circular Tesla sticker on the back of the dashcam head for cosmetic purposes. Although the Tesla mirror is stylish, this gives a larger viewing area of sideview and back seat. Most importantly, it allows my a combined HD dashcam option and rear seat monitor. Youtube video attached. Will put a switch for the mirror monitor in the cubby faceplate. Will incorporate the install of this next week when we do the rear jammers. Install seems straightforward, noninvasive, and fully reversible. Not as slick as the more expensive Dashcam options but not bad for less than $200. Thought and comments welcome!

20130531_155516.jpg 20130531_161518.jpg 20130531_161613.jpg 20130531_161629.jpg 20130531_183818.jpg 20130601_141509.jpg

2. ksdprasad

ksdprasad Member

how is the quality of this ... it looks very good.

3. nkohlimd

nkohlimd Member

Quality of the mirror is decent. The forward image is 720p, and the rear image hi-res but not hi def. All in all, well worth the $200 and easy to install.

4. ABVA

ABVA Member

Does it interfere with your visors?

5. The Fury

The Fury Member

They are sold out at the link. Other options?

6. nkohlimd

nkohlimd Member

Does not interfere with the visors and must say that I am enjoying the larger mirror with better view of the rear window and rear seat passangers

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Where did you tap into a 12v power line for the device?

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'm going to try this one out instead:

http://www.chinavasion.com/43cw-CarVideo/

8. nkohlimd

nkohlimd Member

That's a nice camera as well but I opted for the larger image display (5"). You can tap into an auxillary wire (I think it is yellow but search the radar detector install forums) in the driver side kick panel. I have a 6 lead junction box tapped to this wire and placed behind the cubby/center display with 2 open leads for additional accessories. Much easier for future installs. Hope that helps-good luck!

9. dsecrist

dsecrist Member

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I found that there is a yellow wire with a green trace for power, and a black wire for ground going to the rain/light sensor behind the rear view mirror that works well and provides power when the vehicle is on. I used the Mobius camera, and it has a fairly small power draw.

IMG_0566[1].JPG IMG_0567[1].JPG IMG_0561[1].JPG