Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost evolution of MS/X yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question from someone coming from the outside (took a complete break from Tesla for a couple years): did elon make any statements about the yoke? Has he admitted that it's a failed approach or did he say why they came up with it in the first place?

I haven't driven with one yet but I'd like to try for sure. Looks cool and apart from not being able to let the wheel slip in my hands when coming out of turns, I don't really see any downsides to it.

Nothing was said, the steering wheel just appeared as an option on day.

I'd definately try it. I love it!

Having a hard time understanding how anyone justifies the Yoke. That said, I have one with about 2k or so miles on it sitting in my garage. I think I'd sell mine right now for the right price if Tesla's new pricing is accurate. Anyone paying $1k for that thing is absolutely nuts.
If I get a new Model S, I guess I will be one of the ones you call nuts that will pay the $1k for it. No way would I go back to a normal steering wheel on the Tesla. Having a hard time understanding how people do not like the Yoke. I admit I did not like it for 6 weeks when I got my Model S, but after 18 months could not go back. 🙂

Just to show an example of how a well designed steering wheel and dash provide perfect visibility, I snapped a picture of the dash for our Honda Odyssey. The picture is zoomed in on the dash but taken from exactly where my eyes are when I'm driving. Note that I'm rather tall and have the seat all the way back where visibility is theoretically the worst so moving forward will not affect the visibility in any way.

I also paid attention while driving today to how often I turn the steering wheel past 90º (where holding a joke becomes problematic.) It turns out it's quite often.
IMG_2943.jpeg

Question from someone coming from the outside (took a complete break from Tesla for a couple years): did elon make any statements about the yoke? Has he admitted that it's a failed approach or did he say why they came up with it in the first place?

I haven't driven with one yet but I'd like to try for sure. Looks cool and apart from not being able to let the wheel slip in my hands when coming out of turns, I don't really see any downsides to it.
The only comments I've heard/read from Elon were a few years ago when Tesla introduced it and he compared it to an airplane yoke. (a comparison which has already been debunked.) I haven't seen anything more recent. If it's horribly unpopular or they're having quality issues it's not something he'd likely comment on, anyway so one can't really draw any conclusions either way.

A lot of people are reporting peeling on the top and sides of the yoke. Tesla has been doing warranty replacements and apparently they'll have a new version available soon to fix the problem. I bet they are watching the number of warranty replacements and are intentionally slowing the take rate for the current revision of the yoke. Any new one they sell has a chance of needing a replacement down the road at their cost. If a new version with better quality does show up, we'll see if the price goes back down.
That seems like it would be a really odd/bad business strategy - seems like rather than increasing the cost of an option to cover expected recall costs it would be better to simply withhold it until a better quality replacement is available, or accept the fact that your poor design is going to cost you some money rather than pass the cost along to the consumer.

No one can really say if this is true or not without some actually data from Tesla. Tesla has made odd business decisions in the past so who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Fixed it for you.

As has been pointed out - the problem isn’t driving straight. I don’t put my hand on the top then either. The problem is turning. And emergency maneuvering. And when the auto sh I ft mechanism gets it wrong. and when you’re wearing gloves because it’s -20 outside and the touch controls don’t work.
lol!! arn't you a presumptuous one. Back at ya.

You can fail to adapt. That is fine. Also, this type of control may not work for you. Which is also fine, but just because it doesn't work for you doesn't make it objectively bad.

So to critique your logic... With a heated wheel... you are wearing gloves? What are you 85? And what emergency maneuver are you doing that requires you to spin the wheel... I think Elon did a service... if only Yolk was mandated for everyone that thinks they are going to drift, 3-point turn, or whatever out of a situation at high speed. just silly.

OOO yeah, almost forgot. The auto-shift mechanism. Yeah, it isn't 100% right. Which is why, I, the operator, ensures it is correct. if it isn't I flick my finger and off we go. Not difficult. Is it perfect design? no, of course not. Neither is your Model Y design. But it is good. Especially when the driver pays attention.

Wait - you can’t adapt to 2 seconds of sliding your knee under a wheel but yet you talk about the need to adapt to using the yoke every second you‘re driving??? SMH

Also, you do know about the easy entry setting, right?
Ugh... @sleepydoc you are equating preference to ability to adapt. I prefer the room. That said, how would the easy entry setting help? My seat is all the way back Sleepy.... And the wheel is up. I don't like to drive with a wheel/yoke between my knees. Strike 2.
Any turn in which you need to turn the wheel past 75º or so. THere are quite a few. And since you’re so focused on keeping your hands at 10 and 2 so I don’t break my arm when the airbag goes off, the yoke forces you to have your hands in the wrong position when you’re turning. Since you likely will turn to avoid an accident it actually makes the yoke more dangerous.
No... @sleepydoc not if you use it properly. You know why there is a grip at the bottom right? That isn't just for resting your hands during autopilot. at no time, during a turn, do I need to bring my hands above the 10/2 position. Do I at times? sure, 30 years of driving with a wheel has given me some bad habits. Strike 3, let's see what else ya got.

Of course, this is really a poor excuse either way. How many people do you know who have broken their arm from an airbag deployment? An informal survey of 8 coworkers yielded zero instances in a combined 250+ years of driving.
You apparently failed statistical analysis in school. Your sample is too small.

Doubt you are inclined to read it... but upper body and arm injuries such as broken bones are common from airbag deployment. Got this from a google search, I am sure there are better articles out there. From a .edu/.gov or legal site (lawyers know what cases to take!) it is easy to see these injuries occur enough for lawyers to advertise their support for it.

Batting 0 @sleepydoc . But like most opinionated, biased, undereducated online keyboard warriors you seem confident in your stance.

• Disagree
Reactions: CTruck_BMW
Just to show an example of how a well designed steering wheel and dash provide perfect visibility, I snapped a picture of the dash for our Honda Odyssey. The picture is zoomed in on the dash but taken from exactly where my eyes are when I'm driving. Note that I'm rather tall and have the seat all the way back where visibility is theoretically the worst so moving forward will not affect the visibility in any way.

I also paid attention while driving today to how often I turn the steering wheel past 90º (where holding a joke becomes problematic.) It turns out it's quite often.
View attachment 974518
lol, that pic would be centered in the middle of my chest I think. You are right though, designed for a wheel, a display can do well. Just as designed for Yolk, it works well too. Preference is preference!

lol, that pic would be centered in the middle of my chest I think. You are right though, designed for a wheel, a display can do well. Just as designed for Yolk, it works well too. Preference is preference!
LOL - reading comprehension isn't your strong point, is it? Look at my previous post -I'm just over 6'5" so the top of my head is about an inch from the roof of the car.
Regardless you just admitted that one of your yoke justifications is invalid. As I have repeatedly said and you just said as well, the wheel and display should be designed for each other. If the wheel is blocking the display it's a poor design. The yoke has nothing to do with it.

lol!! arn't you a presumptuous one. Back at ya.

You can fail to adapt. That is fine. Also, this type of control may not work for you. Which is also fine, but just because it doesn't work for you doesn't make it objectively bad.
Again, thanks for proving my point - the wheel doesn't require you to adapt. The yoke does and violates one of the tenets of ergonomic design. That makes it objectively bad. If you want to adapt, great but your willingness to adapt doesn't make it a good design.
So to critique your logic... With a heated wheel... you are wearing gloves? What are you 85? And what emergency maneuver are you doing that requires you to spin the wheel... I think Elon did a service... if only Yolk was mandated for everyone that thinks they are going to drift, 3-point turn, or whatever out of a situation at high speed. just silly.
I live in a state where we have entire weeks without a high temperature above 0º; I prefer to feel my fingers. By the way, my car doesn't have a heated steering wheel. And the emergency maneuver that requires me to spin the wheel is called avoidance.
OOO yeah, almost forgot. The auto-shift mechanism. Yeah, it isn't 100% right. Which is why, I, the operator, ensures it is correct. if it isn't I flick my finger and off we go. Not difficult. Is it perfect design? no, of course not. Neither is your Model Y design. But it is good. Especially when the driver pays attention.
Bingo. Again you have conceded your point. I don't have to look or think about the gear shifter in my MY or my Honda Odyssey. They work perfectly every time. Replacing a smooth, easy interface that just works with something that you need to double check is by definition a regression. No further discussion necessary. The shifter and blinker stalks are really side points since they're not truly a necessary part of the yoke. The fact that Tesla included them in their design just turned it from a really bad one to an abysmal one.
Ugh... @sleepydoc you are equating preference to ability to adapt. I prefer the room. That said, how would the easy entry setting help? My seat is all the way back Sleepy.... And the wheel is up. I don't like to drive with a wheel/yoke between my knees. Strike 2.
You were talking about entering and exiting, not driving. If you can't figure out how the easy entry setting would help getting in then I'm afraid I can't help you. Like I said, I'm 6'5" and I don't have the wheel between my knees when I drive so you're either making it up, are so far outside the norms of size that you can't generalize your needs the general population or can't figure out how to adjust your controls.
No... @sleepydoc not if you use it properly. You know why there is a grip at the bottom right? That isn't just for resting your hands during autopilot. at no time, during a turn, do I need to bring my hands above the 10/2 position. Do I at times? sure, 30 years of driving with a wheel has given me some bad habits. Strike 3, let's see what else ya got.
There's a grip on the bottom of my wheel, too. In fact there's grips all around. That's what makes it better. I like how you make up points and call them strikes. I tried moving my hands to the bottom of the wheel during turn. I could do it but it was unnatural and gave me less control. Again - forcing an unnatural adaptation for the sake of a bad design. I'm not sure how you call a pitch that rolls on the ground a strike, but ok.
You apparently failed statistical analysis in school. Your sample is too small.

Doubt you are inclined to read it... but upper body and arm injuries such as broken bones are common from airbag deployment. Got this from a google search, I am sure there are better articles out there. From a .edu/.gov or legal site (lawyers know what cases to take!) it is easy to see these injuries occur enough for lawyers to advertise their support for it.

Batting 0 @sleepydoc . But like most opinionated, biased, undereducated online keyboard warriors you seem confident in your stance.
My statistic analysis is clearly better than your reading comprehension - I never claimed that it never happened or that my informal survey was definitive, simply that it made the issue uncommon enough not to be a consideration. And yes, I have read it, have you? To quote, "minor injuries can occur... fractures of the forearm are rare and usually are due to direct impact by the forceful opening of the airbag module door" which was exactly my point. Beyond that the study made no attempt to look at exactly where the hands were at the time of airbag deployment.

Have you looked at videos of airbag deployment? The slo-mo video I found that showed an airbag door actually had it splitting in the middle with two flaps going to either side which would actually make the 9-3 position worse. I doubt it would be significantly different that 10-2, though. More importantly, the door did not extend to the steering wheel; airbag did. If you're holding the steering wheel at all in any position on the perimeter the airbag will throw your hands outward. Any injury will be dependent on exactly what trajectory they take, the specific design of the airbag, door, car, etc. My take away from this is the fractures were most likely cause by people who had their hands in direct proximity to the airbag when it deployed. This wouldn't apply to either the yoke or the wheel.

As I've said in the past, if you're having a head-on collision in which the airbag would deploy the likelihood of your hands being at either the 9-3 or 10-2 position is actually quite low. It's much more likely that you'll be trying to avoid the accident (clearly caused by the fact that you forgot to adapt and reached for the top of the wheel only to realize too late that you had a yoke.) Regardless, this can't be used as justification for anything.

I don't apologize for basing my opinions on sound logic and facts and I have no need for internal rationalization of my decisions so you're welcome.

LOL - reading comprehension isn't your strong point, is it? Look at my previous post -I'm just over 6'5" so the top of my head is about an inch from the roof of the car.
Regardless you just admitted that one of your yoke justifications is invalid. As I have repeatedly said and you just said as well, the wheel and display should be designed for each other. If the wheel is blocking the display it's a poor design. The yoke has nothing to do with it.

Again, thanks for proving my point - the wheel doesn't require you to adapt. The yoke does and violates one of the tenets of ergonomic design. That makes it objectively bad. If you want to adapt, great but your willingness to adapt doesn't make it a good design.

I live in a state where we have entire weeks without a high temperature above 0º; I prefer to feel my fingers. By the way, my car doesn't have a heated steering wheel. And the emergency maneuver that requires me to spin the wheel is called avoidance.

Bingo. Again you have conceded your point. I don't have to look or think about the gear shifter in my MY or my Honda Odyssey. They work perfectly every time. Replacing a smooth, easy interface that just works with something that you need to double check is by definition a regression. No further discussion necessary. The shifter and blinker stalks are really side points since they're not truly a necessary part of the yoke. The fact that Tesla included them in their design just turned it from a really bad one to an abysmal one.

You were talking about entering and exiting, not driving. If you can't figure out how the easy entry setting would help getting in then I'm afraid I can't help you. Like I said, I'm 6'5" and I don't have the wheel between my knees when I drive so you're either making it up, are so far outside the norms of size that you can't generalize your needs the general population or can't figure out how to adjust your controls.

There's a grip on the bottom of my wheel, too. In fact there's grips all around. That's what makes it better. I like how you make up points and call them strikes. I tried moving my hands to the bottom of the wheel during turn. I could do it but it was unnatural and gave me less control. Again - forcing an unnatural adaptation for the sake of a bad design. I'm not sure how you call a pitch that rolls on the ground a strike, but ok.

My statistic analysis is clearly better than your reading comprehension - I never claimed that it never happened or that my informal survey was definitive, simply that it made the issue uncommon enough not to be a consideration. And yes, I have read it, have you? To quote, "minor injuries can occur... fractures of the forearm are rare and usually are due to direct impact by the forceful opening of the airbag module door" which was exactly my point. Beyond that the study made no attempt to look at exactly where the hands were at the time of airbag deployment.

Have you looked at videos of airbag deployment? The slo-mo video I found that showed an airbag door actually had it splitting in the middle with two flaps going to either side which would actually make the 9-3 position worse. I doubt it would be significantly different that 10-2, though. More importantly, the door did not extend to the steering wheel; airbag did. If you're holding the steering wheel at all in any position on the perimeter the airbag will throw your hands outward. Any injury will be dependent on exactly what trajectory they take, the specific design of the airbag, door, car, etc. My take away from this is the fractures were most likely cause by people who had their hands in direct proximity to the airbag when it deployed. This wouldn't apply to either the yoke or the wheel.

As I've said in the past, if you're having a head-on collision in which the airbag would deploy the likelihood of your hands being at either the 9-3 or 10-2 position is actually quite low. It's much more likely that you'll be trying to avoid the accident (clearly caused by the fact that you forgot to adapt and reached for the top of the wheel only to realize too late that you had a yoke.) Regardless, this can't be used as justification for anything.

I don't apologize for basing my opinions on sound logic and facts and I have no need for internal rationalization of my decisions so you're welcome.
Like I said no point in arguing with you. Pearls before swine.

I have no issue, as I have said above. Some people do. Here are some methods that we use with the Yoke :) enjoy!

I kept watching until I saw him doing this, lolololol.... Trying wayyyy too hard to convince himself and others. Man... this makes no sense. Just enjoy the look of the Yoke and let's not debate the functionality. If it needs a youtuber to do half an hour video just on how you can turn the Yoke, that it just BS to begin with.

1695165632269.png

1695165806262.png

Like I said no point in arguing with you. Pearls before swine.
Yeah, you’ve pretty much made all my points for me so there’s not much left to say!
I have no issue, as I have said above. Some people do. Here are some methods that we use with the Yoke :) enjoy!

I love it! Among the ways we’re supposed to ’adapt’ to the yoke is to steer with one finger. Of course he then goes on to cross his hands over just like @K.I.T.T.23 claims you should never do! Of course this puts them right in front of the airbag so all the yoke drivers should be getting broken wrists any time now…

Yeah - how much time do you spend learning how to use a wheel? Ummm… none. But the yoke actually needs an instructional video! You can’t make this up!

Yeah, you’re shooting 1000 for disproving your point, Kitty!

I kept watching until I saw him doing this, lolololol.... Trying wayyyy too hard to convince himself and others. Man... this makes no sense. Just enjoy the look of the Yoke and let's not debate the functionality. If it needs a youtuber to do half an hour video just on how you can turn the Yoke, that it just BS to begin with.

View attachment 975362

View attachment 975364
No, No! You don’t get it he’s teaching you how to ADAPT! If you don’t get it it‘s your fault for not adapting to a clearly superior interface!

View attachment 975362

View attachment 975364
@CTruck_BMW Yep, his techniques are far from perfect, this video is from right after the yoke was released, so he didn't have much time with it yet. personally, I do not use his "joystick" grip ever, the nubs are very important for control IMHO. For tight turns, I do underhand swaps; it took me a bit to get used to it as it requires me to use my hands ambidextrously. I also don't drive on road with tight turns like he demonstrates on... I let the car park itself... so not really a concern for me. The reason we keep brining up the functionality is that there is so much distain for the Yoke for some reason. I would assume it is because it was the only option for quite some time... and that was stupid. It actually took a bit of digging to find someone that actually attempted to explain how to use a Yoke effectively. I wonder why tesla didn't release a video? Just seems odd. I am curious, @CTruck_BMW looks like you own a 2023 MS, do you have the wheel or yoke? have you used both? If so, how much time do you have on the yoke?

Expanding on my last question; something I noticed: it appears that many of the readers whom are so adamantly against Yokes do not appear to own a Model S or X. So, my assumption is they are going with outside information. So before commenting, I think it is important that we internalize where our information is coming from. Are you just going with your own speculation and what you have been told or first hand, short term experience?

Because everyone is welcome to their opinions of course... but it seems like they are grounded in second-hand information and speculation. Kind-a like a those diesel trucker guys that hate EVs. Sure, you may have all kinds of sources telling you how bad something is, but maybe... there is more to it.

Last edited:
it appears that many of the readers whom are so adamantly against Yokes do not appear to own a Model S or X. So, my assumption is they are going with outside information. So before commenting, I think it is important that we internalize where our information is coming from. Are you just going with your own speculation and what you have been told or first hand, short term experience?

Certainly not the case here ... I own a Model 3... and a Model X (classic)... and a Model S (refresh) ...

I gave the yoke the honest college try. 6 months of driving with it daily was more than enough to convince myself that I'd never like it.

Can I adjust to it? Yeah. Did I really want to? No. No I didn't. I didn't find anything about it (aside from top-of-binnacle visibility) superior, and in many cases, subpar.

I do still drive the other two vehicles as well, plus a myriad of rental cars for work, so my 30+ years of muscle memory are still put to use daily.

It's just not for me. Maybe if it were my only vehicle, and I were just learning to drive, I'd unlearn muscle memory to use it more effectively. But that said -- I had enough events where, literally, I was grasping for air with the yoke, that I couldn't wait to replace it. The round wheel should've been an option from day 1. I bought the car anyway with the intent of keeping the yoke, but it was just absolutely untenable. If Tesla hadn't offered the round option --- I probably would've sold the car by now. Maybe even flipped to Rivian.

It's the first time in those 30+ years that I've ever felt a car's design was going to cause me to have an accident eventually... and I mean everything from driving a beat-up mid-70s Chevy to these high-performance Teslas and everything inbetween.

Certainly not the case here ... I own a Model 3... and a Model X (classic)... and a Model S (refresh) ...

I gave the yoke the honest college try. 6 months of driving with it daily was more than enough to convince myself that I'd never like it.

Can I adjust to it? Yeah. Did I really want to? No. No I didn't. I didn't find anything about it (aside from top-of-binnacle visibility) superior, and in many cases, subpar.

I do still drive the other two vehicles as well, plus a myriad of rental cars for work, so my 30+ years of muscle memory are still put to use daily.

It's just not for me. Maybe if it were my only vehicle, and I were just learning to drive, I'd unlearn muscle memory to use it more effectively. But that said -- I had enough events where, literally, I was grasping for air with the yoke, that I couldn't wait to replace it. The round wheel should've been an option from day 1. I bought the car anyway with the intent of keeping the yoke, but it was just absolutely untenable. If Tesla hadn't offered the round option --- I probably would've sold the car by now. Maybe even flipped to Rivian.

It's the first time in those 30+ years that I've ever felt a car's design was going to cause me to have an accident eventually... and I mean everything from driving a beat-up mid-70s Chevy to these high-performance Teslas and everything inbetween.
100% Murphy, you and @CTruck_BMW are the only two that I think have any experience with the yoke here that don't like it.

And I think you and I came to a mutual understanding that is 100% correct: the yoke isn't for everyone, but that doesn't make it bad for everyone either. I can see how driving multiple vehicles would cause an issue. I don't drive other vehicles often. I do drive my wife's Y from time to time, and I don't like going back to the wheel. It feels... old and off. Like going back to a stick shift car or something. It feels bulky, unnecessary, and encumbering. Again, that is just me, and that doesn't have to apply to anyone else.

100% Murphy, you and @CTruck_BMW are the only two that I think have any experience with the yoke here that don't like it.

And I think you and I came to a mutual understanding that is 100% correct: the yoke isn't for everyone, but that doesn't make it bad for everyone either. I can see how driving multiple vehicles would cause an issue. I don't drive other vehicles often. I do drive my wife's Y from time to time, and I don't like going back to the wheel. It feels... old and off. Like going back to a stick shift car or something. It feels bulky, unnecessary, and encumbering. Again, that is just me, and that doesn't have to apply to anyone else.
I was just watching the forum, I think u took it a but too personal man… I am only here for fun, to help others and seeking help. I have no intentions to go through debate on forums, so I will avoid answering many questions that follow a debate fashion. but I will answer one. Yes, I had a 2023 MS with the Yoke, I test drove a few, and I ended up canceling my order and picked up another 2023 Model S with the wheel instead. I spoke with so many Yoke owners, and one of them even he likes his suggested that I just take the wheel…. I am guaranteed 100% to not be dissapointed, but the Yoke can and have the potential to dissapoint me… hence after test driving a few Model S vehicles, I got the wheel. Simple. This yoke vs wheel issue does not really worth all the debate… i don’t think it is worth it to debate that Yoke is for everyone, but 100% the wheel is for everyone no matter what.

I want my yoke swapped to the wheel yet i refuse to pay Tesla another $700.

I have no issue with paying a labor fee for the swap but Tesla should provide the wheel for the price of the car. “Travel in luxury” as they note in their store for the wheel retrofit.
I bet that the reason they charge more for the Yoke now (after they were originally charging more for the wheel) is because they are already charging the consumers the potential cost of the Yoke failing due to all the issues and warranty claims they are getting about Yoke peeling off. So, in a way, they are already factoring that in. I know they issues a new version now, and until they see enough data with 10K miles or more with no issues, they won't stop charging more for Yoke. Majority of build orders now according to my salesman are with the Wheel even when the wheel was more expensive.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I bet that the reason they charge more for the Yoke now (after they were originally charging more for the wheel) is because they are already charging the consumers the potential cost of the Yoke failing due to all the issues and warranty claims they are getting about Yoke peeling off. So, in a way, they are already factoring that in. I know they issues a new version now, and until they see enough data with 10K miles or more with no issues, they won't stop charging more for Yoke. Majority of build orders now according to my salesman are with the Wheel even when the wheel was more expensive.
It’s possible but that would seem like a really odd approach to me.

I have to wonder what Tesla’s goal is with the Yoke. They initially made it mandatory, then standard with an option for the wheel. Now the wheel is standard with an (expensive) option for the yoke with a reportedly low take-rate. They may have underestimated people’s acceptance of it in now view it more as a liability and such moves are simply an attempt to make it cost-neutral to the company. If that’s the case I wouldn’t be surprised to see it disappear. Either way, they need to design their wheel and dash properly. (I test drove a Volvo XC60 recharge yesterday - the wheel perfectly framed the dashboard in that car, too - imagine that!)