Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offered to replace my yoke with round wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought an inventory (demo) Plaid MS about a month ago.

Last week, right hand side camera fell of, it was hanging by the wires. One of the clips appears to be broken so it doesn't lock properly.

1714050217883.jpeg

I managed to re-install it myself but it doesn't feel right, it's too loose. So I made a service appointment just to see if it would be covered by warranty. Car is ex demo car so it's frankly quite likely it has been hit somehow during some test drive, so I wasn't sure if it would be covered.

Anyway now I received the estimate. Yes they will replace the camera for free. Also there's some additions:

1714051549033.png

(sorry for Finnish language). First line is the the AP camera, second line is some weird "Charging handle cannot be inserted in cold conditions" which seems to include some replacement rubber seal in the charging connector.

But then yeah then there's Yoke to Round steering wheel swap, for free. I didn't ask for this. Now I'm not sure if I should take it or not, but I feel like the stupidest person on earth if I say no to a free upgrade? :D

I like the yoke. I really like the driving position when I can pull the yoke really close and low and can rest my hand(s) on the lower square portion. Not to mention the more spacious view to the dash. Oh and I think the blinker buttons work better with yoke as you have better understanding where the buttons are located. On a round wheel you can't feel which way the steering wheel is?

I'm not sure why I wrote this, maybe I need some pushing to make either decision. :D

Also I'm really happy with the service response here, free services offered without asking. And this would be a ranger visit, no need to go anywhere with the car.

Last edited:
Some early yokes had peeling issues, so they have (are) being replaced. I think most people prefer the round, particularly the round with the horn button in center, but this is just a matter of taste. I don't know if resale value is affected either way.

Some early yokes had peeling issues, so they have (are) being replaced. I think most people prefer the round, particularly the round with the horn button in center, but this is just a matter of taste. I don't know if resale value is affected either way.

Yeah I have the early yoke, without the center horn. But it is not peeling, it's very good shape.

Horn is not a matter to me, we don't really use horns here in Finland. Only benefit would be the new camera button in the center horn version, which might be useful.

If yoke peeling is under warranty, maybe it's better for me to wait until it actually starts peeling and then order the replacement? Maybe switch to round wheel at that time, if they still offer that option.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I bought an inventory (demo) Plaid MS about a month ago.

Last week, right hand side camera fell of, it was hanging by the wires. One of the clips appears to be broken so it doesn't lock properly.

View attachment 1041513

I managed to re-install it myself but it doesn't feel right, it's too loose. So I made a service appointment just to see if it would be covered by warranty. Car is ex demo car so it's frankly quite likely it has been hit somehow during some test drive, so I wasn't sure if it would be covered.

Anyway now I received the estimate. Yes they will replace the camera for free. Also there's some additions:

View attachment 1041519

(sorry for Finnish language). First line is the the AP camera, second line is some weird "Charging handle cannot be inserted in cold conditions" which seems to include some replacement rubber seal in the charging connector.

But then yeah then there's Yoke to Round steering wheel swap, for free. I didn't ask for this. Now I'm not sure if I should take it or not, but I feel like the stupidest person on earth if I say no to a free upgrade? :D

I like the yoke. I really like the driving position when I can pull the yoke really close and low and can rest my hand(s) on the lower square portion. Not to mention the more spacious view to the dash. Oh and I think the blinker buttons work better with yoke as you have better understanding where the buttons are located. On a round wheel you can't feel which way the steering wheel is?

I'm not sure why I wrote this, maybe I need some pushing to make either decision. :D

Also I'm really happy with the service response here, free services offered without asking. And this would be a ranger visit, no need to go anywhere with the car.
There have been a few polls and most people prefer traditional round steering wheel.

But It's your car. Your decision should reflect on your happiness.

if you like the yoke stay with it. i had mine swapped to a round wheel, free after yoke peeled at 12k miles. round looks way less cool, but its much better for driving around.

I guess yoke is better for driving a square. :p

Ok, I already canceled the yoke replacement. I have still several years of warranty left, if it ever starts peeling I'll ask for a replacement and possibly go for the round one then..

If driving the car is more important to you than the novelty look factor of the Yoke and perhaps better visibility of the dash, get the round wheel. I paid $700 for the privilege and my ability to drive the car at all speeds and actually utilize the full capability of the car increased immeasurably.

Reactions: Zuikkis