Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost evolution of MS/X yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NV Ray

Sep 7, 2020
First standard, then free after round was standard, then $250, now $1000. What a yoke 😃

Screenshot_20230906_170649_Chrome.jpg

Oh wow... when did they change the Yoke price to 1000 USD?

I got my car and I would have gladly paid them 1000 for the WHEEL.... glad I got it for free... I would never pay 250 for the Yoke.. . I considered it only once for the look, and thought 250 USD is fine... But 1000 USD, no way.

Oh wow... when did they change the Yoke price to 1000 USD?

I got my car and I would have gladly paid them 1000 for the WHEEL.... glad I got it for free... I would never pay 250 for the Yoke.. . I considered it only once for the look, and thought 250 USD is fine... But 1000 USD, no way.
I believe the $1000 was changed either yesterday or today.

(read with a posh silly tone) Wheels are so last year... (back to normal tone) one of the selling points for me was the yoke when I bought my MS Plaid. I have been driving it for about 7 months now... no issues with the Yoke, and I now prefer it over the wheel... and 100% over a wheel with stalks... they are so annoying.

I think most people are right, though not in the way they think. Failure to adapt to change definitely will cause people to shy away from the yoke. It does take a couple hours of driving to get used to.

Also, I see some articles that have reported that the new Model 3 will have a yoke option with a variable turning radius. Much better for those of you in a city.

Change simply for the sake of change isn’t always a good thing. A change in idea or design from traditional ways things are done should be done to improve usability, not to make it worse. Especially for something that is a basic vehicle function that everyone expects to behave a certain way.

There is nothing the yoke does better than a wheel other than not blocking the dash display/gauge cluster, which might be more of an issue for some people than others. I’ve personally never had a problem with that in any vehicle I’ve driven.

One could maybe argue a yoke is more beneficial with a steer by wire system where the angle of rotation of the yoke is more limited (like Lexus is introducing) but it’s still an answer to a question no one asked with the big downside of increased input lag.

There is nothing that going stalkless does better other than reduce the number of parts and costs for manufacturing.

I understand some people like it just for the aesthetics and just to be “different” (or they are convincing themselves to like it because they think Tesla can do no wrong), but I haven’t seen any argument that they are functionally any better. These things should be instantly intuitive and natural to use for anyone that sits in the drivers seat and not require any “getting used to”.

There is nothing the yoke does better than a wheel other than not blocking the dash display/gauge cluster
If the wheel is blocking the instrument cluster then the car/wheel/dashboard are suffer from poor design and there’s no compensating for poor engineering. Otherwise you’re spot on In your assessment.

Many people like to point out that ‘airplanes use yokes so therefore it must be a good idea.‘ If you’ve ever flown an airplane you’d know how ludicrous this statement is. Many airplanes also have sticks so maybe Elon could make a Model S with a stick instead of a yoke? Sarcasm aside, at the most basic level is the fact that the yoke in a plane doesn‘t turn past 90º, typically it doesn’t go past 45º, but beyond that cars are not planes. About the only similarity is they both have seats.

Change simply for the sake of change isn’t always a good thing. A change in idea or design from traditional ways things are done should be done to improve usability, not to make it worse. Especially for something that is a basic vehicle function that everyone expects to behave a certain way.

There is nothing the yoke does better than a wheel other than not blocking the dash display/gauge cluster, which might be more of an issue for some people than others. I’ve personally never had a problem with that in any vehicle I’ve driven.

One could maybe argue a yoke is more beneficial with a steer by wire system where the angle of rotation of the yoke is more limited (like Lexus is introducing) but it’s still an answer to a question no one asked with the big downside of increased input lag.

There is nothing that going stalkless does better other than reduce the number of parts and costs for manufacturing.

I understand some people like it just for the aesthetics and just to be “different” (or they are convincing themselves to like it because they think Tesla can do no wrong), but I haven’t seen any argument that they are functionally any better. These things should be instantly intuitive and natural to use for anyone that sits in the drivers seat and not require any “getting used to”.
Yeah, change to change isn't always a good thing, but there are reasons to abandon the old tried and true wheel.

What the Yoke does better: Easier entry/exit for taller people. forces good hand position. good visibility of gauge cluster (which you mentioned). Minimizes hand-over-hand turning if used properly. Looks way cooler.

Going stalkless ensures that hands are kept at 10/2, at least in my case, my thumbs are always around the buttons. I also don't like stalks... never did. for a turn signal... sure, that is ok. but for shifting wipers or w/e else? no thank you. I would like a center horn though.

The yoke with a wire system would be 100% better than the current, absolutely.

I am far from a "tesla can do no wrong person". I do think they did make two mistakes: people were not ready for this change, this should have been optional from the get-go, and they should have made it a variable turn with a steer by wire system. I can also go into SOOOOoooo many other issues the car has. But round wheel over yoke? nothing but personal preference and/or failure to adapt.