Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Premium Internet Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to agree with CAAD. The premium internet is not as reliable as I would have hoped. I’ve hardly been able to connect to the internet and also have problems loading streaming music. I live in DC Metro area so it’s not because i’m out in the middle of nowhere.

the horrible LTE radio (plus the fact that service is spotty around my home anyway) is the primary reason i gave in and installed a portable XM radio. even with the FM transmitter, at least i know i'll always have something to listen to other than regular old FM radio...

If its anything like my Volt had, it would still give you GPS, navigation abilities. No traffic or other features.

But you don't need to supply WiFi for those features. Adding a WiFi hotspot doesn't get you anything more than the Web browser once your Premium Internet subscription service runs out. (At least according to the most current information from Tesla.)

Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
No. Over-the-air software updates may be downloaded over Wi-Fi networks, including mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier. However, other Premium Connectivity features like satellite view maps and streaming media are currently not available over Wi-Fi.

Actually the web browser might not even work without the Premium Connectivity subscription:

What are the new connectivity options?
  • Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.
  • Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular.

Which I guess makes sense since as I understand it all browser traffic goes through the Tesla VPN.

Source for above quotes: Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
Thats not bad given how much ATT/Verizon and/or Comcast costs per month.

Not great either since there aren't many uses for it. You get satellite view for maps, live traffic, slacker streaming, slow web browsing, and very late updates if you're not on wifi - most of which I personally don't care for. For me, the decision basically comes down to if I want live traffic updates for $100/year and for that price, likely not.