Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of repairing door damages and should I file a claim for it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
A few days ago, my Model Y hit a post in a parking lot causing damage to the rear passenger door with dents and scratches. I went to a body shop for an estimate and the cost is around $5,000. The body shop said the door need to be replaced. This is way more than I expected, as I thought this can be fixed as opposed to replaced. I wonder if anyone had a similar experience. Does it really need to be replaced? Also, with this cost, would you recommend filing a claim with the insurance company (my deductible is $1000)?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Image attached.
PXL_20221228_183902638.jpg
PXL_20221228_183910642.jpg
PXL_20221228_183853450 (1).jpg
PXL_20221228_183921634.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221228_183924163.jpg
    PXL_20221228_183924163.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 126
I'm no Expert but seems that replacing doors is the go-to for when they have damage especially when they are not Flat doors as it could take many hours for them to "Fix" the door and at ~120/hr (most body shops charge at least this) and lets say 8-10 hrs to MAYBEE get it "Perfect" with no guarantee that they can fix it could end up being they spent 8-10 hours fixing the door to find they couldn't reform the metal properly would cost lest say 2000 for the new door +1200 for the door repair attempt...not to mention most doors have so much metal in the way they could have issues correcting it.

Side rant: I had a person back into my civic i had back in the day Hitch to the rear quarter panel and was funny as the damage was ~1/2 inch from the back door and the adjuster basically said i was lucky as if they had hit the door on my 2008 civic in 2015(maybe 2016) would have totaled my car...due to the combined damage...and that was due to generational changes and 08 supposedly being a 1 off as was the start if the new gen and the 09 changed the mechanical parts in some shape or another...

As for should you involve insurance, as you are at fault if you can afford to pay out of pocket it could prevent rates from going up...but at same time if things are found to be worse than initially found they would absorb that additional cost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A few days ago, my Model Y hit a post in a parking lot causing damage to the rear passenger door with dents and scratches. I went to a body shop for an estimate and the cost is around $5,000. The body shop said the door need to be replaced. This is way more than I expected, as I thought this can be fixed as opposed to replaced. I wonder if anyone had a similar experience. Does it really need to be replaced? Also, with this cost, would you recommend filing a claim with the insurance company (my deductible is $1000)?

Your deductible is $1K.
Your damage estimate is $5K.
The math isn't hard.
The answer is self-evident.

Upvote 0
Hi!

Image attached.View attachment 889734View attachment 889735View attachment 889736View attachment 889737
Came here because I did something similar to my MYP door. What did you decide? Thinking if I file the claim and just get cheaper insurance at renewal. Geico offered $100 less, but with Tesla insurance you get 50% off parts.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Upvote 0
Thinking if I file the claim and just get cheaper insurance at renewal.

Wow, that's the opposite of how it works for the rest of us.
You must be special.

Geico offered $100 less, but with Tesla insurance you get 50% off parts.

And what does that have to do with a decision to file a claim on the existing policy?
Or you think you can hide the damage, switch insurance companies, and come out ahead?

Clearly doesn't understand how insurance works...

You are clearly are very special young boy...

Upvote 0
You commented deductible is $1k, fix is $5k. "Math isn't that hard" and to add the cherry on top, you added "The answer is self evident."

What you're completely overlooking is the "math" of the increase in insurance. An increase could be anywhere between $100-$200 a month. At $150 on average let's say he has the car for four more years - round to 50 months X 150 you're looking at $7,500. Go up only $100 you're looking at min $5,000 and you don't have to pay everything all at once.

I usually don't respond to trolls on the Internet. I also do not want to respond to your later comment to make you look even more ridiculous.

Upvote 0