Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to charge up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to figure out the cost to charge up, I know my price per kWh but not sure how many kWh equals each battery percentage. Suppose I want to for from 50% to 80%, how do I determine how many kWh that takes?

or am I going abut figuring this thing incorrectly.
Thanks

Trying to figure out the cost to charge up, I know my price per kWh but not sure how many kWh equals each battery percentage. Suppose I want to for from 50% to 80%, how do I determine how many kWh that takes?

or am I going abut figuring this thing incorrectly.
Thanks

Assuming a long-range model, 100% is in the neighborhood of 75kwh, or maybe 80 on some new 3's. 30% of that(from 50-80%) is 22.5kwh. Add a little for charging inefficiency and keeping the car awake and battery heated during the charging session, and there you go. Don't underestimate the battery-heating portion, as it gets pretty significant on a low-power circuit.

@MarsOrBust in addition to the above link I'm happy to do and explain the math for you given the following details:
  • Average summer high/low temps
  • Average winter high/low temps
  • Whether your car will be parked outside or not
  • If parked inside, a sense of how insulated it is
  • Details of your charging setup (voltage and amperage)
  • A general sense of how you use the car (e.g. if primarily to/from work, how long that commute is)
I have an 82 kWh battery so 30% would be 24.6 kWh.
Multiply that by my price per kWh of $0.1217452 = $2.99

I know that does not consider the charge for keeping the car awake and battery heating but not sure how to account for that.

I'm behind on newer information, but if you have one of the new "82kWh" packs, I assume not all of that 82kWh is usable much like the older packs and probably the bottom 4.5% is locked out, just FYI (that is, when the display shows 0%, technically 4.5% of that 82kWh resides beneath 0% and isn't to be counted for daily use).

Reactions: Gasaraki
Figure about 3.5 miles per kWh. So if you drive 70 miles, 20 kWh. Multiply by your kWh cost.
Really this is about the easiest way to give people an idea of it if you're looking for the ballpark concept, rather than fine tuned monthly billing kind of thing. With the older Model S, being bigger and less efficient, that was really close to about 3 miles per kWh. With the Model 3/Y, that is probably more like 3.5.
So you can run through that with people like "Let's say you do 15,000 miles per year. Divide by 3 miles per kWh, and that's 5,000 kWh times your energy cost per = _____."

Opps reread my post and im exaggerating lol We have solar so really our electricity cost are low given we don't hold back on using the AC.

Monthy cost depends on how much I drive really. When I was working and commuting 3x a week 90 miles each way plus 150 miles on weekends it was about $46/month. I have a hybrid that I drive those other days.

If you add 1-2 road trips I remember paying $60-70.

I have an 82 kWh battery so 30% would be 24.6 kWh.
Multiply that by my price per kWh of $0.1217452 = $2.99

I know that does not consider the charge for keeping the car awake and battery heating but not sure how to account for that.

Doesn't really matter, that's peanuts in the big scheme of things.

That math is close to what I spend a day also. I calculated around $3.00 to $3.50 for every 30% usage. I basically save a little more than half from using gas.

Yes, the following tool is not perfect, bla, bla ,bla but it will give you a general idea.

https://teslanomics.co/tesla-monthly-charging-cost-calculator/

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter, that's peanuts in the big scheme of things.

That math is close to what I spend a day also. I calculated around $3.00 to $3.50 for every 30% usage. I basically save a little more than half from using gas.

Yes, the following tool is not perfect, bla, bla ,bla but it will give you a general idea.

https://teslanomics.co/tesla-monthly-charging-cost-calculator/
Car standby and battery heating are absolutely not peanuts in the grand scheme, especially for short commuters. But that's why I needed to know if OP lives somewhere cold-ish and such.

Having a short commute while living someplace with a "cold" winter can easily double energy usage compared to expectations (like if you simply figured "75kWh battery goes 500km says Tesla" and did the math for your usage per year). The battery heating feature is no joke and uses a ton of energy. But even without that, standby usage can be quite a bit more than expected as well.

Best case scenario is living somewhere warm and having a long commute. Since a huge number of Tesla owners are in California where both of those tend to be true to my understanding, there's a big skew on consensus vs. reality. But perhaps OP lives there too and does long commutes, then these simpler calculations are probably accurate enough :)

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H