Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to fix two dents and scratches on Model 3, $9k ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What did the 9k job quote that they were doing? If they replaced the quarter panel, sure it’s going to be money since they likely charged for a battery removal and new quarter skin.

if you were ok with a cheap shop tossing bondo on the dents and sending a metallic paint job off with a typical spray of only the panels with new bondo, sure. 1500$ is reasonable for no blend job and Maaco quality work.

for reference, there are quite a few model 3 that have been totaled for quarter panel damage and picky owners.
Is there a Tesla service center near you that could have fixed it.

A good body shop should be able to fix that without cutting and rewelding the body panel. That looks like a $3-4k repair to me. I think your body shop is taking your insurance company (and you) for a ride. You stated that they're already working on this, which means you gave an OK for the higher number, so why are you posting it here? If it were me, I would decline to have them fix it, and take it to somewhere else.

I can understand if a body shop opens up crash repair and finds additional damage that causes a supplemental request to the insurance company. But raising your estimate 9x for something where the extent of needed work can obviously seen just by looking at it? That's dishonest.

A good body shop should be able to fix that without cutting and rewelding the body panel. That looks like a $3-4k repair to me. I think your body shop is taking your insurance company (and you) for a ride. You stated that they're already working on this, which means you gave an OK for the higher number, so why are you posting it here? If it were me, I would decline to have them fix it, and take it to somewhere else.

I can understand if a body shop opens up crash repair and finds additional damage that causes a supplemental request to the insurance company. But raising your estimate 9x for something where the extent of needed work can obviously seen just by looking at it? That's dishonest.
Thats what's exactly i was thinking. They do all high end cars and the guys told me they do Model 3's all the time and they have few in the back on repair right now. So for the people who experienced in repairing this car they should know and give the first estimate to be fair and as best as possible. Clearly the damage is more of scratches and couple of small dents. if they know what to do they to fix that then the estimate would have been what it suppose to be. As you said it probably their strategy to estimate it lower and increase it at the insurance. It like the estimate is given by a front desk clerk guy and the actual repair is done by someone else who knows tesla.

Still waiting for the car to be fixed. hopefully the job they do is worth it for what it costs. keep you posted.
but will definitely put reviews out there of my experience.

seem like allstate insurance spoke with them and settled upon on a quote price of around $7500
They texted me today that it will be ready this evening.

Any advice on what to look and inspect to make sure all is well? my car's impact is on the LT qtr panel and door.

Should i be testing the software functionality and audio system and other such, i read here in this forum some had different issues.

Just in case if any issues found (hope not), could i just deny to pickup and ask them to take care of it?

I had similar damage but worse because someone hit me in traffic. They were not paying attention and tried to merge into my lane hitting my rear right side with extremely similar damage at a cost of 5k. I went through the other driver's insurance to repair it. lastly, they did not replace any of the body panels.. they were able to repair the aluminum by other means. They were a Tesla approved shop.

• Love
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
The outter skin of the quarter panel is not aluminium on these cars... service manual and parts site diagrams are your friend:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201106-035147_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201106-035147_Chrome.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 187
i picked up the car, and the guy told me door is aluminum and quarter panel is not.
I didn't notice any imperfection or color match issue on the painted site, seem they did a good job.
I did find scratches and chips on the other side of the car I am not sure if it was already present, but have to go over picture to verify. I would've really noticed before becaz i do take good care and watch frequently. Also there is the black undercover that runs from front to back, in some places you see the gap, when asked they said its just a push connector and should get rectified with heat and fixes itself. really!

Tesla = Premium

They treat this brand like it’s Maybach. I had similar damage except on the rear with no dents that ended up over $4k.

I mean look around in the for sale section and look at what people sell OEM wheels and tires for 🤣

Once your insurance is involved it's like the wild wild west with prices but I think even if you did PDR the co
I got my model 3 in sep 2018, two months later on a bad weather day someone swiped me on driver side rear door and left the scene. the damages where few line of scratches on the door and on qtr panel and two minor dents, it didn't really bother me and not much noticeable, and been driving that since. I have ceramic coat maintenance coming up and those dealer want me to take care of the damage first before they reapply the coat.

So i found tesla authorized body shop in NJ, close to me was Ultimate Collision in Rt.1, I went with the pre-estimate made by all-state already which was $945, the guy walked around the car, and said it just a minor fix, no parts needed, just fix dent and paint job and accepted the all-state estimate, 2 weeks later i dropped the car for repair and was promised about a week time to fix.

10 days later, after when i asked whats the status, they told me they sent updated estimate to all-state, I asked them a copy and was shocked to see $8480 estimate + my deductible $750. REALLY !

Seriously, just minor scratch and dent cost this much to fix?

before i gave to Ultimate Collision i did go to few other body shop that i had dealt with for other cars, all estimated in the range of $1200 to $1500 only.

Is this a rip off, getting the car to body shop at low estimate and jacking up by 10x the estimate and claim from insurance?

When they said $945 initial estimate i thought i can pay out from pocket and not go thru the insurance claim, but its all changed due to this.

Anyone had done similar experience and are this reasonable or am I exaggerating !!

As soon as insurance is involved the pricing becomes like the wild wild west. I always tell them I'm paying out of pocket-no insurance to avoid their eyes getting big and greedy.

seem like allstate insurance spoke with them and settled upon on a quote price of around $7500
They texted me today that it will be ready this evening.

Any advice on what to look and inspect to make sure all is well? my car's impact is on the LT qtr panel and door.

Should i be testing the software functionality and audio system and other such, i read here in this forum some had different issues.

Just in case if any issues found (hope not), could i just deny to pickup and ask them to take care of it?

Sorry you had these issues. A good adjuster should be able to write a fairly accurate estimate up front.

Next time, I’d suggest trying Collision Restoration in Fairfield. They’re a top shelf Tesla body shop and have won awards from Tesla for their work. I’ve had great experiences there and with their on-staff adjuster. We had a $21k repair and he came extremely close with the initial estimate; only about $1k in supplemental work. Was very pleased!