Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could older Model S be upgraded with Raven Parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A

anon52695

Does anyone know if the older model S, say a 2016 P100D, could that be upgraded if the front motor failed, and the service center put in a Raven motor? As well as if the battery failed, could they put the new revision battery in? Basically upgrade most of the car if parts failed to the newest stuff, motor battery, bearings, etc. especially in 5 years or so?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Does anyone know if the older model S, say a 2016 P100D, could that be upgraded if the front motor failed, and the service center put in a Raven motor? As well as if the battery failed, could they put the new revision battery in? Basically upgrade most of the car if parts failed to the newest stuff, motor battery, bearings, etc. especially in 5 years or so?

Depends... With enough money you can retrofit anything.

My 2016 Tesla S P90D 3 years ago had been retrofitted by a 100 kwh battery revision "D" . Last year we have replaced the rear performance drive unit with a small drive unit , 2 months ago again a battery replacement had been performed but at this time with a 100 kwh revision "F" battery!
Currently in this week we are replacing the old front induction motor with a new Raven front engine! We need also to change the drive shafts, the steering box and some cables as well then we load the appropriate softwer on it respectively ! Everything being done here in Budapest, Hungary in a top notch private Tesla service!

Reactions: Smileysam and Evee
My 2016 Tesla S P90D 3 years ago had been retrofitted by a 100 kwh battery revision "D" . Last year we have replaced the rear performance drive unit with a small drive unit , 2 months ago again a battery replacement had been performed but at this time with a 100 kwh revision "F" battery!
Currently in this week we are replacing the old front induction motor with a new Raven front engine! We need also to change the drive shafts, the steering box and some cables as well then we load the appropriate softwer on it respectively ! Everything being done here in Budapest, Hungary in a top notch private Tesla service!
Hi Just browse through this post as i have been looking for someone to do this upgrade in UK but no joy. Could you please confirm the address or website of the place in Budapest? or have you heard of anyone do similar things closer in Europe?

Were you able to complete the project?

Starting tomorrow I will start installing the Raven engine (Tesla 75, 2017').
I have everything, but I was interested in the opinion about the steering system. Can you elaborate?

Reactions: G60arfield
Yes: The engine is already in the car, the harnesses are prepared - there is communication. There is a HUGE list of dependencies that would not allow me to turn the car on - it took a month to eliminate the problems. Currently, the car ALREADY RUNS in LIMP MODE. I have a problem with redeploy (I get a message about the need to update the software). After the project is completed / or after an abandoned project, I will describe in detail the number of changes I had to make to the Tesla 75 with rear-drive large engine (Base 900A).

Yes: The engine is already in the car, the harnesses are prepared - there is communication. There is a HUGE list of dependencies that would not allow me to turn the car on - it took a month to eliminate the problems. Currently, the car ALREADY RUNS in LIMP MODE. I have a problem with redeploy (I get a message about the need to update the software). After the project is completed / or after an abandoned project, I will describe in detail the number of changes I had to make to the Tesla 75 with rear-drive large engine (Base 900A).
can you provide an update if any?

Yesterday, after 2 months of waiting for a free slot in the garage, I managed to drive in my Tesla S75. We have made the last modification - inserting the axle shafts and shock absorbers allowing for the installation of the axle shafts. The car left the garage with two engines running :) PM in the front, induction in the rear :D. I still have a problem with updating the system, but I think it's only a matter of time. Let's say I'm 80% of the way there and I know that the PM engine works in a car that has NEVER had this engine (2017). Thus, we have the world's first Tesla 75 Raven 2017 ;) Or Tesla S75DPM :D

After the project is completed - if I manage to fully update the system, I will make an extensive report - the number of dependencies is... huge and there is ZERO help from the world... ;)

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
Yesterday, after 2 months of waiting for a free slot in the garage, I managed to drive in my Tesla S75. We have made the last modification - inserting the axle shafts and shock absorbers allowing for the installation of the axle shafts. The car left the garage with two engines running :) PM in the front, induction in the rear :D. I still have a problem with updating the system, but I think it's only a matter of time. Let's say I'm 80% of the way there and I know that the PM engine works in a car that has NEVER had this engine (2017). Thus, we have the world's first Tesla 75 Raven 2017 ;) Or Tesla S75DPM :D

After the project is completed - if I manage to fully update the system, I will make an extensive report - the number of dependencies is... huge and there is ZERO help from the world... ;)
I wonder if it would be any easier with a car that is already a dual motor and closer to the Raven build production wise. for example, a 2017 model S 90D, im thinking of what all needs to be changed to switch to a raven front motor.

if you don't mind, would you reach out to me via PM and share the list of parts you've needed to buy?

I wonder if it would be any easier with a car that is already a dual motor and closer to the Raven build production wise. for example, a 2017 model S 90D, im thinking of what all needs to be changed to switch to a raven front motor.

if you don't mind, would you reach out to me via PM and share the list of parts you've needed to buy?
It is obvious that making an AWD engine on an AWD Raven is much easier because you already have the front bearings for the axle shafts, the axle shafts, appropriate shock absorbers, the engine harness (which is slightly different from Raven / Indicative), you already have the liquid pipes (which only need to be replaced 1 :1 under Raven. My car is still waiting for the software to be developed. I don't have the will to start the project. Maybe today I'll go to the garage... ;)

Just replacing the engine 1:1 will not help. The installation harness is different, there is a different thermal controller and different software (vehicle configuration).