Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Cross-country shipping time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Bought a used P85D this last weekend. Kind of scared now reading all the horror stories on here, but hoping mine goes smoothly. Car looked to be in great shape, but the pictures appear to have been taken with an iPhone 1.

Car is currently located in SF and they are shipping to NJ - anyone with experience shipping cross country? The first two people I spoke to said a week to a week and a half, but the last guy said "no way, it'll be a minimum of three weeks, if that." Wondering if anyone's done it yet, and if so how long it took.

Hey guys,

Bought a used P85D this last weekend. Kind of scared now reading all the horror stories on here, but hoping mine goes smoothly. Car looked to be in great shape, but the pictures appear to have been taken with an iPhone 1.

Car is currently located in SF and they are shipping to NJ - anyone with experience shipping cross country? The first two people I spoke to said a week to a week and a half, but the last guy said "no way, it'll be a minimum of three weeks, if that." Wondering if anyone's done it yet, and if so how long it took.
Congrats....whadya buy?
Dzm

So you're agreeing to buy the car based on some iPhone photos and nothing more?

"That's a bold move Cotton."

Personally, after what we've experienced first hand... twice... and what I've seen on YouTube videos and read on forums like this one from actual owners of CPO/Used cars purchased through Tesla... I would NOT agree to buy a CPO/Used care from Tesla based on photos.

No way. No how.

If that car shows up and you've already agreed to buy you're out a LOT of money and are in for a huge and drawn out argument attempting to get things corrected. I've seen LOTS of these cars now online and in the additional photos they send you to "show" the blemishes and I can tell you that the issues in person are always far greater than they seem in the photos. Hell, most of the photos where there is damage are lower resolution and the blemishes can't even be seen. I've requested a few sets of photos lately and I'm starting to notice a pattern where the images that have no damage are nice and large and the ones that are hiding something are suddenly thumbnail size w/o the ability to enlarge them w/o making them look like you built a Tesla out of Legos.

I hope it works out for you but fear for the worst if you've already agreed to buy the car & have it shipped and haven't seen it in person.

So you're agreeing to buy the car based on some iPhone photos and nothing more?

"That's a bold move Cotton."
I hear you. I have $2500 of skin in the game (deposit), and they've assured me that if there are any cosmetic issues not disclosed in the images, they'll fix it. I will hold them to it, but I'm also not expecting an absolutely flawless "CPO" vehicle as was the deal before. To me, the 4 year, 50,000mi warranty is worth taking the gamble. Hopefully it'll pay off.

My real concern is waiting weeks for it - that's going to try my patience.

I hear you. I have $2500 of skin in the game (deposit), and they've assured me that if there are any cosmetic issues not disclosed in the images, they'll fix it. I will hold them to it, but I'm also not expecting an absolutely flawless "CPO" vehicle as was the deal before. To me, the 4 year, 50,000mi warranty is worth taking the gamble. Hopefully it'll pay off.

So they've agreed to ship it BEFORE you agree to actually buy it? In other words, you have put down a $2,500 deposit and nothing more? What about the shipping fee? I think that's another $2,500 if I read the site right. You didn't sign any other paperwork either for loan acceptance or for outright purchase if paying cash? I wasn't aware they would ship a car across country based on deposit alone even if that wasn't refundable.

I can tell you that in most instances they won't let you see/drive the car until after all of the paperwork has been done even if the car in question is local. Unless they've changed something they do some serious mental gymnastics to prevent buyers from even seeing the car prior to agreeing to buy via signed contracts.

So they've agreed to ship it BEFORE you agree to actually buy it? In other words, you have put down a $2,500 deposit and nothing more?

No, I agreed to buy it.

What about the shipping fee? I think that's another $2,500 if I read the site right.

$2000.

You didn't sign any other paperwork either for loan acceptance or for outright purchase if paying cash? I wasn't aware they would ship a car across country based on deposit alone even if that wasn't refundable.
So far, the deposit is all they have collected.

I can tell you that in most instances they won't let you see/drive the car until after all of the paperwork has been done even if the car in question is local. Unless they've changed something they do some serious mental gymnastics to prevent buyers from even seeing the car prior to agreeing to buy via signed contracts.
As I understand it I will be able to inspect the car before accepting it. Since the car is in warranty for another four years, and since they have agreed to repair any damage not evident in the pictures, I'm ok with it. I certainly will not accept delivery of the car without seeing it first.

Yes, it's weird. Yes, I've never bought a car sight unseen, but they made the terms clear and I accepted as is. Hopefully they won't disappoint.

No, I agreed to buy it.

$2000.

So far, the deposit is all they have collected.

As I understand it I will be able to inspect the car before accepting it. Since the car is in warranty for another four years, and since they have agreed to repair any damage not evident in the pictures, I'm ok with it. I certainly will not accept delivery of the car without seeing it first.

Yes, it's weird. Yes, I've never bought a car sight unseen, but they made the terms clear and I accepted as is. Hopefully they won't disappoint.
Did you get ALL of these terms in writing? If not, you're boned if you have any issues if you already agreed to buy it before they shipped if you took delivery or not.

I know because I bought a CPO'd car in September and was promised the cosmetic issues that weren't reveled to me before purchase wold be rectified. Fast forward 5 months later and I'm being told that since I have nothing in writing proving what I was told I'm SOL and no cosmetic issues have been resolved. I've been battling for months now over that issue and title work issues.

Your warranty covers warranty issues only. I also had half a dozen or so of these (70pt inspection my ass) sorts of issues that were finally addressed after months of fighting and back and forth over parts ordering (often times the wrong parts were ordered) and service scheduling.

I think that too often people confuse the extended warranty with some sort of cosmetic guarantee. Your extended warranty is ONLY for warranty items.

FWIW, I had 0 issues with mine. Paid in full, flew out to pick it up and it looked better than the photos. Had it for just over a month now with no problems. From placing the 2500 down to pick up was two weeks for me.

Good luck!

Did you get ALL of these terms in writing? If not, you're boned if you have any issues if you already agreed to buy it before they shipped if you took delivery or not.

I know because I bought a CPO'd car in September and was promised the cosmetic issues that weren't reveled to me before purchase wold be rectified. Fast forward 5 months later and I'm being told that since I have nothing in writing proving what I was told I'm SOL and no cosmetic issues have been resolved. I've been battling for months now over that issue and title work issues.

Your warranty covers warranty issues only. I also had half a dozen or so of these (70pt inspection my ass) sorts of issues that were finally addressed after months of fighting and back and forth over parts ordering (often times the wrong parts were ordered) and service scheduling.

I think that too often people confuse the extended warranty with some sort of cosmetic guarantee. Your extended warranty is ONLY for warranty items.

Yes, I have it in writing. How serious were your cosmetic issues? I'm certainly not expecting a warranty to cover cosmetic issues, that would be a pretty absurd position to take.

FWIW, I had 0 issues with mine. Paid in full, flew out to pick it up and it looked better than the photos. Had it for just over a month now with no problems. From placing the 2500 down to pick up was two weeks for me.

Good luck!

Makes me feel better, thanks!

Yes, I have it in writing. How serious were your cosmetic issues? I'm certainly not expecting a warranty to cover cosmetic issues, that would be a pretty absurd position to take.
I'm glad you got that all in writing because a super open ended contract to the tune of "we'll fix all cosmetic issues" could be a rather spendy bill for a company like Tesla to agree to. As long as you have it though you're covered. I can tell you that if you don't, they will slow roll you hoping you forget and when you don't they'll eventually call you a liar and say there's nothing they can do to help. That's exactly what happened to us. In our case all four 21" wheels were severely curb damaged, there was a large dent on the quarter panel below the antenna area, a large gouge on the rear bumper cover and a deep cut along the lower portion of the driver's side door. Inside there was issues head liner and something else that I'm not remembering currently. None of this was evident in the photos that were sent to me and I was promised profusely by our deliver adviser that these would all be remedied to my satisfaction. He even took numerous photos of the damage while repeatedly assuring me this wasn't right and he would personally make sure it was taken care of. They wouldn't even let us see the car until the paperwork was done and kept coming up with excuses as to why we couldn't. In hindsight it was pretty obvious that they knew the car wasn't in the condition we expected.

I agree that expecting cosmetic issues to be covered by a CPO warranty is an absurd position to take but read around the forums here and you'll find that many people assumed that CPO meant exactly that. So much so that now that they took away the "CPO" label people are crying about how much it changed and how the used cars don't have a warranty now but they terms of the warranty are actually identical. I've been over both sets with a fine tooth comb and other than the omission of the acronym "CPO" they are nearly identical verbatim. To hear people talk about it online (including this forum) you would assume that Tesla is now just selling used cars that include zero warranty which simply isn't the case. I try to explain this to people whenever this discussion comes up and most don't want to hear it with your facts and citations. lol

I'm glad you got that all in writing because a super open ended contract to the tune of "we'll fix all cosmetic issues" could be a rather spendy bill for a company like Tesla to agree to. As long as you have it though you're covered. I can tell you that if you don't, they will slow roll you hoping you forget and when you don't they'll eventually call you a liar and say there's nothing they can do to help. That's exactly what happened to us. In our case all four 21" wheels were severely curb damaged, there was a large dent on the quarter panel below the antenna area, a large gouge on the rear bumper cover and a deep cut along the lower portion of the driver's side door. Inside there was issues head liner and something else that I'm not remembering currently. None of this was evident in the photos that were sent to me and I was promised profusely by our deliver adviser that these would all be remedied to my satisfaction. He even took numerous photos of the damage while repeatedly assuring me this wasn't right and he would personally make sure it was taken care of. They wouldn't even let us see the car until the paperwork was done and kept coming up with excuses as to why we couldn't. In hindsight it was pretty obvious that they knew the car wasn't in the condition we expected.

I agree that expecting cosmetic issues to be covered by a CPO warranty is an absurd position to take but read around the forums here and you'll find that many people assumed that CPO meant exactly that. So much so that now that they took away the "CPO" label people are crying about how much it changed and how the used cars don't have a warranty now but they terms of the warranty are actually identical. I've been over both sets with a fine tooth comb and other than the omission of the acronym "CPO" they are nearly identical verbatim. To hear people talk about it online (including this forum) you would assume that Tesla is now just selling used cars that include zero warranty which simply isn't the case. I try to explain this to people whenever this discussion comes up and most don't want to hear it with your facts and citations. lol

That's a real bummer. Sorry to hear and I certainly understand your frustration. After hearing that, I'll make sure I'm not strongarmed into accepting delivery until I inspect it.

It does seem that there are a lot of loud, hysterical people who probably expected more than they were owed (not you), and that sometimes makes it hard to filter out the noise. I frankly don't know of any brand that represents that their CPO vehicles are cosmetically perfect. I'm going into this with an open mind and hoping Tesla doesn't disappoint.

Reactions: BrokerDon
That's a real bummer. Sorry to hear and I certainly understand your frustration. After hearing that, I'll make sure I'm not strongarmed into accepting delivery until I inspect it.

It does seem that there are a lot of loud, hysterical people who probably expected more than they were owed (not you), and that sometimes makes it hard to filter out the noise. I frankly don't know of any brand that represents that their CPO vehicles are cosmetically perfect. I'm going into this with an open mind and hoping Tesla doesn't disappoint.
Seems like a healthy place to come from and I truly wish you the best of luck.

That's good advice to live buy, sorry it sucked or you.

Dzm

Hey guys,

Who did you ship with, and how was your experience? How much did they charge.

Hey guys,

Did you get the car? How is it?

Did you get the car? How is it?

I did, and I love it. The first delivery advisor guy I got was a space cadet, but once they sorted that out, it went pretty much exactly as described. Took just over two weeks from order to delivery. Had a couple minor issues early on which they resolved expeditiously and to my satisfaction. All in all, wouldn't hesitate to do it again!