Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crackling audio and video while in reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model S LR. Ever since i got it one of the annoyances i have noticed is a "crackling" or broke up audio experience while in reverse. Every morning when i back out of my garage it crackles and stutters and many times the rear camera almost blinks off and on, soon as i put it in drive it clears up and all is fine. I do not use my phone to listen to audio in my car so its not a phone bluetooth issue.

Further, i had a loaner 2023 Model X this past week, to my surprise the loaner did the EXACT same thing as my S did as far as crackling audio when in reverse. I can deal with it but i had seen some posts about amp problems in the Model S but its weird that the S and the X did the same thing, just listening to Apple Music, Tidal, Streaming etc...

I have a 2023 Model S LR. Ever since i got it one of the annoyances i have noticed is a "crackling" or broke up audio experience while in reverse. Every morning when i back out of my garage it crackles and stutters and many times the rear camera almost blinks off and on, soon as i put it in drive it clears up and all is fine. I do not use my phone to listen to audio in my car so its not a phone bluetooth issue.

Further, i had a loaner 2023 Model X this past week, to my surprise the loaner did the EXACT same thing as my S did as far as crackling audio when in reverse. I can deal with it but i had seen some posts about amp problems in the Model S but its weird that the S and the X did the same thing, just listening to Apple Music, Tidal, Streaming etc...
No comments or anyone else with this issue? I took ownership of my new 2023 MS LR 6 weeks back or so - and have this exact issue (only on reverse and then fine). Was hoping a Sw update would come along & resolve, but have had at least 2 updates now and no change. No one else have this? OP, do you still have the issue?

Yes. this is common. There is another thread about it somewhere. Some sources may cause it to occur more than other sources, so they may not notice the issue. I use USB music and the audio problems often occur when in reverse.

It's been around for at least 9 months or so (maybe since the LR/Plaid release). While I'm not used to it, I had hoped it would be fixed in firmware. It seems limited to MCU-Z.

Sadly, the audio system gets very little attention at Tesla. The USB source fails to turn on when entering the car bug has now been around for 6+ years. Worked great back in 2012-2015 or so.