Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X Plaid No Audio Bug and Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a 2023 Model X Plaid today. While going through setup with the Tesla rep, zero audio worked with the car. No microphone for navigation or phone, no car chimes of any kind, no audio from any source. Multiple software resets and car poweroffs did nothing to resolve the situation. The delivery rep and I drove the car to the service area, where the techs said they had never seen anything like this, but all the techs were out to lunch so they could not help at that time. I had to be somewhere, so I left the lot with a brand new $100k~ car with no audio (the Tesla Way of car delivery and acceptance is unreal). On a whim I pulled over at a parking lot. removed my iPhone 15 Pro Max as a bluetooth device, did a software reset (holding both steering wheels buttons) and the audio returned to normal. I then re-added the iphone and everything is working as normal.

Otherwise, build quality of the car seems good.

I took delivery of a 2023 Model X Plaid today. While going through setup with the Tesla rep, zero audio worked with the car. No microphone for navigation or phone, no car chimes of any kind, no audio from any source. Multiple software resets and car poweroffs did nothing to resolve the situation. The delivery rep and I drove the car to the service area, where the techs said they had never seen anything like this, but all the techs were out to lunch so they could not help at that time. I had to be somewhere, so I left the lot with a brand new $100k~ car with no audio (the Tesla Way of car delivery and acceptance is unreal). On a whim I pulled over at a parking lot. removed my iPhone 15 Pro Max as a bluetooth device, did a software reset (holding both steering wheels buttons) and the audio returned to normal. I then re-added the iphone and everything is working as normal.

Otherwise, build quality of the car seems good.
Unfortunately, this is not fixed. The no audio issue has reocurred and the fix seems to be to disconnect all Bluetooth audio devices. Reboot, power off, and then audio comes back. If I reconnect any iphone then all audio on the car stops working.

Update to this thread - I took delivery of a Model X Plaid on 10/23/2023 with 2023.32.100.1 and I'm having major audio problems. On nearly every drive audio for all sources either cuts off completely (no chimes, turn signals, no sound from any source). After one or two reboots audio comes back, but usually drops again before completiom of the drive. Sometimes loud screeching noises come from all speakers requiring reboot. Sometimes loud crackling or popping comes from the speakers before the audio cuts out.

As noted above, reboots help temporarily. Power off does not seem to help. Factory reset is greyed out and unavailable, I'm guessing due to various subscription issues.

The earliest service appointment is Novemver 7, which is a long way away.

Not impressed at all with the Tesla experience so far.

Dropped the X Plaid off at service today about 2 weeks after delivery. The audio constantly cuts out entirely, or screams loud static noise or loud beeps or pops inside and outside the car. The only way to get the audio back or stop the random audio sounds is to 2-button reset the system. I have to do this on nearly every drive.

Here's my list of most likely cause of the problems, from least likely to most likely:

(1) Faulty amp
(2) Loose wiring or connector
(3) Faulty MCU
(4) Software

Who wants to take a guess as to the root cause?

As a loaner they gave me a pre-refresh X 6 seater with 50k miles on it, so it's a good comparison to our refresh X plaid. A couple of observations on this: (1) the X is so much nicer with the bumper and front door ultrasonic sensors. Why or why did Tesla remove these? (2) I actually prefer the no-stalk layout (surprisingly); (3) The dash and console layout of the refresh is so much better than the pre-refresh; (4) The fit and finish of the refresh seems so much better, but this is a new car vs a 50k mile beat up loaner. The pre-refresh and refresh seem like totally different cars, even though they are obviously so similar.

Reactions: rpo and explosive0
Dropped the X Plaid off at service today about 2 weeks after delivery. The audio constantly cuts out entirely, or screams loud static noise or loud beeps or pops inside and outside the car. The only way to get the audio back or stop the random audio sounds is to 2-button reset the system. I have to do this on nearly every drive.

Here's my list of most likely cause of the problems, from least likely to most likely:

(1) Faulty amp
(2) Loose wiring or connector
(3) Faulty MCU
(4) Software

Who wants to take a guess as to the root cause?

As a loaner they gave me a pre-refresh X 6 seater with 50k miles on it, so it's a good comparison to our refresh X plaid. A couple of observations on this: (1) the X is so much nicer with the bumper and front door ultrasonic sensors. Why or why did Tesla remove these? (2) I actually prefer the no-stalk layout (surprisingly); (3) The dash and console layout of the refresh is so much better than the pre-refresh; (4) The fit and finish of the refresh seems so much better, but this is a new car vs a 50k mile beat up loaner. The pre-refresh and refresh seem like totally different cars, even though they are obviously so similar.

Enjoy the doors on that loaner that actually open on their own too!

• Funny
Reactions: explosive0
Thank you, this worked for me too. I lost microphone, bass and woofer. Did as suggested.
1- Disconnected Iphone 13 promax
2- restarted tesla system, with 2 buttons on yoke
3- restarted Iphone
4- reconnected Iphone

I would have to 2 button reset on nearly every drive. Good luck with yours!

Our brand new MXP is still in the shop with Tesla. After this weekend it will be almost halfway to lemon law city.

I am really happy about paying $96k to drive a beat up 50,000 mile MX loaner.