Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crashworthiness with an exoskeleton?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D

Doc Brown

So - Tesla prides itself on a few things, including efficiency (saving the planet) and safety (Tesla’s are least likely to have an injured passenger). Crash test performance is outstanding on existing Tesla models.

the exoskeleton seems like an interesting concept - but I wonder what the crashworthiness is of the Cybertruck - and how occupants would do in a collision. Anyone with expertise have any idea?

So - Tesla prides itself on a few things, including efficiency (saving the planet) and safety (Tesla’s are least likely to have an injured passenger). Crash test performance is outstanding on existing Tesla models.

the exoskeleton seems like an interesting concept - but I wonder what the crashworthiness is of the Cybertruck - and how occupants would do in a collision. Anyone with expertise have any idea?

Lots of threads on this already, but no clear answers. Obviously, the exoskeleton provides excellent protection to the car, but transfers additional forces to the interior. So one way of handling this is to provide some "crumple zone" inside of the frame and allow the interior to move under a heavy impact. They didn't mention anything about it, so they may still be "in development", but I think it should be very possible.

Looked like there was a lot of space inside the cab - usually the bigger the car, the less that safety is difficult to engineer.

500048.jpg

Reactions: MitchMitch