Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy charger install estimate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went back and talked to him a little more and it sounds like what you guys mentioned: he doesn’t seem to want to deal with trenching, he priced that aspect alone at $1,200 which seems nuts considering it is 30 feet of grass. Gonna see what this other guy coming tomorrow has to say but worst case scenario I don’t mind renting a trencher and saving $1k.
Lol. This guy don’t know how to quote.

You can save a lot of money if you dig the trench. I dug a 40 foot long trench at the family summer house last fall for an EV charger installation. Sandy ground, but I had to get under a set of thick tree roots.

Must-have items:

- Long sheet of sturdy plastic. Lay it along one side of the planned trench to hold the soil you dig out.

- Stakes and twine to mark the planned route.

- Trenching shovel. I put a painters tape ring 22” from the handle end. That’s an instant gauge for trench depth. The top of the conduit must be at least 18” below ground.

- Pick or similar tool to lever out rocks, cut smaller roots.

- 3 feet of steel conduit or similar to punch out a path below roots.

Consider running a 120 Volt line for an outlet and/or post light at the same time. Useful to vacuum or polish the car.

I don't know if it helps but this is what i am paying here in GA
i have the electrical panel in center of the garage at the backwall so i asked him to put the wall connector at least halfway towards the garage door so that i can even charge if i keep my car outside he said he is installing a 60A breaker and has to buy some wire (I have no electrical knowledge at all) to put it where i asked, he is asking for $600 everything.
or else $450 labor and i bring the material.

(Wall Connector)

Reactions: Loops818
Thanks to everyone who contributed their 2 cents on this post. Just figured I'd circle back here and let people know how it went. I had a second electrician come and give me an estimate that was in line with what I had read in other threads. To save a little money I did do some of the manual labor myself. I sunk a 6x6 post at the top of my driveway, concreted it in, and trenched about 75% of the 40 or so total feet from the post to my house. I dug the trench by hand with a trench shovel. For the area that was grass, I dug down an inch or two and then gently "flipped" the grass over, leaving the grass connected on one side before digging down further. I think this turned out to be a good idea because after they filled in the trench they just flipped the grass back over, minimizing the impact to my yard. I spent probably $100 between the shovel and the materials for the post and he charged me $1100 for the work. Much better than 4k.

Now if only I could get them to deliver me my MYP. It's hard staring at that beautiful charger and not having a car for it yet!

Thanks to everyone who contributed their 2 cents on this post. Just figured I'd circle back here and let people know how it went. I had a second electrician come and give me an estimate that was in line with what I had read in other threads. To save a little money I did do some of the manual labor myself. I sunk a 6x6 post at the top of my driveway, concreted it in, and trenched about 75% of the 40 or so total feet from the post to my house. I dug the trench by hand with a trench shovel. For the area that was grass, I dug down an inch or two and then gently "flipped" the grass over, leaving the grass connected on one side before digging down further. I think this turned out to be a good idea because after they filled in the trench they just flipped the grass back over, minimizing the impact to my yard. I spent probably $100 between the shovel and the materials for the post and he charged me $1100 for the work. Much better than 4k.

Now if only I could get them to deliver me my MYP. It's hard staring at that beautiful charger and not having a car for it yet!
I had my Gen 3 HPWC installed in Jan 2022 and took delivery of my Y on September 19th 2022. Total wait time from placing the order to delivery was 256 days..