Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking liftgate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tris

Dec 13, 2022
US
Does anyone else have a creaking noise from the liftgate area when one wheel is going above the others - i mean for example when turning into a driveway, like when the car is slightly bending. Can also be reproduced by opening the liftgate and then twisting it by holding with both hands and lowering one side while raising the other. Seems like the creaking is coming from one of the liftgate mechanisms. Was wondering if someone else had it and how it was fixed.

Check out this thread. Model Y - Boot lid creak on opening/close- Fixed

I had a slight creak when the trunk lid reached it's highest position. I took apart the trim and isolated the creaking noise it to an area near the hinge . If I inserted my pry tool in between the sheet metal, the creaking sound stopped. I ending up wedging a piece of cardboard wrapped in fabric tape in between the sheet metal and it seems to have resolved the issue.
IMG_4355.jpg

It's probably as noted above. Mine started only when opening the trunk. Then was happening when opening and closing, always when the hatch was up at it's top limit of travel.

If you're under warranty it's worth a service request. Mine was fixed when they fixed my hatch water leak

Check out this thread. Model Y - Boot lid creak on opening/close- Fixed

I had a slight creak when the trunk lid reached it's highest position. I took apart the trim and isolated the creaking noise it to an area near the hinge . If I inserted my pry tool in between the sheet metal, the creaking sound stopped. I ending up wedging a piece of cardboard wrapped in fabric tape in between the sheet metal and it seems to have resolved the issue. View attachment 997586
Could you please mark the exact spot where the sound was coming from?

Could you please mark the exact spot where the sound was coming from?
I crawled into the trunk and listened to the approximate area where the creaking was coming from. Then I poked and prodded around. This pic is where I had inserted my trim tool and isolated where the creaking sound came from.

Attachments

• 2024-01-29_17-18-38.jpg
    2024-01-29_17-18-38.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 23