Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking liftgate when closing- anyone having same problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received a MY LR on May. Enjoy a car everyday

Now only problem is that the creaking noise from liftgate when closing.

Went to the service centre, they found the root cause of creak, two metal sheets were making contact when liftgate were closing.
They sent me to Tesla certified body shop, what they said was replacing the whole liftgate and have to paint? so it will take 8-9days to finish. Are they kidding me?

Some owners had similar problem as my car, the solution was that they got rid of creak by inserting a spacer between metal sandwich near spot weld and spray lithium grease in between the sheets of metal, only take 10-15mins to finish.
Do I have to reschedule service centre and explain to them how to fix it? or just replace liftgate?
It gives me headache right now, need advices, thanks.

It sounds like you have been offered an aggressive and likely permanent fix. The grease and spacer sounds more like a temporary fix. The grades will eventually break down and the squeak will probably return. If i were you I would go with their recommendation. Of course, I'm not you. I'd say your choice may hinge on whether you can do without the car for the time needed.

It sounds like you have been offered an aggressive and likely permanent fix. The grease and spacer sounds more like a temporary fix. The grades will eventually break down and the squeak will probably return. If i were you I would go with their recommendation. Of course, I'm not you. I'd say your choice may hinge on whether you can do without the car for the time needed.
thanks for your advice