Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaky sound plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone getting creaky noises from their plaid? It appears at low speeds and going over bumps. I started getting this noise in the front driver side at 5000 miles. Maybe it will go away once the weather gets warmer. It’s been cold lately.
I read about other teslas having this noise too, but I’m surprised I’m getting it on such low mileage.

This may not be the same as what you’re experiencing (location wise) but perhaps still of interest/helpful.

I have the refreshed S Long Range and initially heard zero noises on delivery. I was…Sooo contented (as I had a 2018S that has suspension click and creak noises and interior headliner noises that drove me insane, despite loving the car otherwise. They couldn’t remedy and I wound up giving back the 2018 to Tesla. I was wary when I purchased and picked up the 2021 Refreshed,
but love Tesla cars so much that I risked what was definitely and internal worry for me. On pick up…WOW…! So happy…

Scroll forward months and I started hearing a creaking sound. I think, dissimilar (?) to yours..my sound was emanating from the drivers rear seat area. Then…the same noise started happening on the passenger side. UGH!!!

Scroll forard, post service visit. They were able to fix this noise seemingly. Presently….I’m back to hearing nothing…which is ….ahhhhhh.

I’m REALLY hoping it stays this way, as I’m back to just..simply..loving the car.

They supposedly had to do something to/around the latching mechanism of the two rear seats. That made sense to me, as I had received recommendation on this online forum to wrap the latch mechanism with electrical tape (as a DIY fix).

Reactions: Issaction
Anyone getting creaky noises from their plaid? It appears at low speeds and going over bumps. I started getting this noise in the front driver side at 5000 miles. Maybe it will go away once the weather gets warmer. It’s been cold lately.
I read about other teslas having this noise too, but I’m surprised I’m getting it on such low mileage.
Possibly the rear seat. This issue came out on this forum. The fix was some electrical tape wrapped a couple times around the metal rear seat hooks that the seat latches on to?

My rocker panels creek on the rear of the car, both sides. If you touch the edge with your hand you can make it creek. It’s like there is a guide peg or something with tension on it.

Edit: I just deal with it. 🤷‍♂️ It will probably go away on its own as the plastic wears down over time.

Last edited:
My 2021 Plaid is awful. Started quiet. Slowly started squeaking, and now at 11,000 miles, sounds like a squeaky bed. Going to take in for service and see if they can stop it. Been waiting on a replacement windshield for over a month too. Embarrassed to drive this thing. Love paying $2300 a month for a squeaky car that accelerates fast and that’s it.

• Funny
Reactions: XHokie
2022 Plaid here with 3 annoying interior sounds. All but 1 is resolved now.

1) had what sounded like a loose bolt rolling around somewhere below the center console. Super annoying as it would slide back and forth with every turn - like a screw in a metal can. Service dissembled the center console and sure enough they found a loose screw in the floorpan area. Ironically the screw goes to the aero covers on the BOTTOM of the car! LOL. Who knows how it got there. Sounds is gone now.

2) had the squeaky rear seat latches. Fixed with electrical tape wrapped around the latch. Sound is gone now.

3) have a intermittent resonance/rattle coming from the dash mesh area. Temp and road surface plays a huge role here on when I hear it. Its so intermittent (of course it wont happen on a service test drive!) and general in location I'm just living with it.

I'm a newbie with less than 2,000 miles on my 2022 S Plaid. Two creaks here and very one wide door gap:

1) Driver's seat creaks like an old rocking chair upon anything other than the mildest acceleration.

2) Something towards the driver side rear of the car creaks on most all turns, even very gradual ones. Will try to determine if it is the rear seat issue that other have identified but it seems more of a body/structural squeak.

Tesla service said "unable to duplicate" when I brought the car in & left it (I brought it in hoping they could adjust a very wide gap between passenger side front & rear doors but they could only make a very tiny improvement and said to go to a Tesla body shop for anything more).

So, I will make a Tesla service appointment, go back & hopefully test drive with a tech (will they likely go for a ride with me?) How do you request service appt at home? Or does Tesla service determine in the app whether I need to come in or if mobile service comes to me? Trying to determine if a visit to a tesla certified body shop is wise or could make door gap issue worse? Passenger door closes but almost looks like it isn't shut.

Thanks!

I ended up getting rid of my 20 04 21 Plaid and I got a brand new 2022 Plaid that was just built three weeks ago. So far the build quality is much better and I only have squeaking coming from the driver seat far and few between. The new screen tilting is definitely nice, and I have yet to hear any squeaking from the rear. Hopefully they’re ironing out some of the kinks. Gaps are also way better.

Reactions: XHokie
An easy test for the rear seat squeak is to just put fold the seats down. If the squeak goes away, you've found the source. My fix was to stick some stiff foam in the U bolt. Just add foam until the squeak stops. Only the driver's side of my car had the squeak.

Along with another task, I had Tesla service replace the latch with the newest version, and the U bolt changed from silver metal to black. Worked for a few weeks and the squeak came back. Stuffed the foam back and the problem is solved. Anyway, as of July, the modified latch doesn't seem to fix it (at least for me).

An easy test for the rear seat squeak is to just put fold the seats down. If the squeak goes away, you've found the source. My fix was to stick some stiff foam in the U bolt. Just add foam until the squeak stops. Only the driver's side of my car had the squeak.

Along with another task, I had Tesla service replace the latch with the newest version, and the U bolt changed from silver metal to black. Worked for a few weeks and the squeak came back. Stuffed the foam back and the problem is solved. Anyway, as of July, the modified latch doesn't seem to fix it (at least for me).
Other than wrapping the u-bolt itself are you sticking foam someplace else? Mine is still creaking despite use of padded tape around the bar.