Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cream vs Black interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
First world problem.

I never would have considered the cream interior until I got to take a test drive overnight with it.

There is no question it’s gorgeous. We are long time black interior owners. But my last Jeep we took chance on Tan leather and it’s held up great. Wife worries anything but black will look dated.

Any way my concerns are more about scuff marks on the light door panels etc. As well as stains on seats. I even have one scuff on my dark tan console door I can’t get out. But because it’s dark it’s not very visible. If it was cream it would stand out.

What’s your thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Good thoughts. My wife was thinking the same, but what moved us away from black was the thought that the Tesla gets hot enough with white interior due to all that glass, and black can't be any better. We chose the cream color and put a protective coating on it. Glad we did. Some nasty spills got on it that were easily removed. After 3 years everything still looks new. Oh, and our door panels are black. Only the seats are cream.

Good thoughts. My wife was thinking the same, but what moved us away from black was the thought that the Tesla gets hot enough with white interior due to all that glass, and black can't be any better. We chose the cream color and put a protective coating on it. Glad we did. Some nasty spills got on it that were easily removed. After 3 years everything still looks new. Oh, and our door panels are black. Only the seats are cream.

yeah only seats being cream is nice.

The headliner, partial doors, some on the dash, center console and seats. It looks really nice. Carpets are black.

Order page shows black headliner. But many comments say it’s cream and the demo I drove was cream. not sure if it’s a possible recent change.

what did you coat them with.

Last edited:
  • Informative
After watching this Video I'm going with black.

My understanding is that the Cream seats are the same softer material that the white seats are made of.
I think the softer material is more prone to tearing and absorbing a stain.

I realize they are not perforated seats any more (As shown in the Video below), which I'm kind of glad about, I have them in my Jeep but stuff always gets stuck in the holes. They are holding up good otherwise and are real tan colored leather.

But this Video scares the crap out of me.

• Helpful
After watching this Video I'm going with black.

My understanding is that the Cream seats are the same softer material that the white seats are made of.
I think the softer material is more prone to tearing and absorbing a stain.

I realize they are not perforated seats any more (As shown in the Video below), which I'm kind of glad about, I have them in my Jeep but stuff always gets stuck in the holes. They are holding up good otherwise and are real tan colored leather.

But this Video scares the crap out of me.

yes, those seats in that video appear to be the ventilated ones. Don't; think that would happen if you don't have ventilated seats.

yes, those seats in that video appear to be the ventilated ones. Don't; think that would happen if you don't have ventilated seats.

I agree the perforated seats contributed heavily. But I also think, as mentioned in the Video that the white seats are softer leather-ette. And in some other videos they comment cream and white is the same softer leather. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love it. But I can be tough on my seats. Even with real heavy leather we’ve had to have drivers seat reupholstered on multiple cars after 5 years or so.

I’m gonna visit Service Center soon to verify I’ll be happy with the black. Store only had Cream and White.

• Helpful
First world problem.

I never would have considered the cream interior until I got to take a test drive overnight with it.

There is no question it’s gorgeous. We are long time black interior owners. But my last Jeep we took chance on Tan leather and it’s held up great. Wife worries anything but black will look dated.

Any way my concerns are more about scuff marks on the light door panels etc. As well as stains on seats. I even have one scuff on my dark tan console door I can’t get out. But because it’s dark it’s not very visible. If it was cream it would stand out.

What’s your thoughts?

My cream interior is now blue from absorbing die from jeans :(

Sounds like the protective coating mentioned about might prevent that.
In my case it has. I mainly wear jeans and sometimes it gets a bit sweaty on those long desert trips. I did it the first week that I got the car (3 years ago). If you looked at the seats today, you'd think they were brand new. I wouldn't want to say that nano-coat sealants are going to stop anything, but sure has in my case. Especially the time a 2 year old decided my back seat was meant for crayon drawing (red and green) :eek: It wiped right off with some gentle rubbing, just like in that video.

Reactions: mswlogo
Staining is now less of a concern, mainly due to @Silicon Desert comments on protecting them.

My bigger concern now is, is the cream/white softer leather-ette than black?

So many owners say it's softer. Sales person said he thinks it feels softer but he thinks it's a placebo effect.

If it is "softer" (despite liking it) I'm occasionally pretty hard on my seats. If the black is "tougher" leather-ette I'd stick with black.

If it's the same, I'm strongly considering Cream.

BTW, a brand new ordered Model X with Cream today now has a black headliner. Confirmed with Sales Person at Service Center today. I thought it was an error on the web site. He said if you find one in stock it may have Cream Headliner.

Cream Headliner and Cream Seats sure does give the car a more spacious feeling combined with windshield is what sold the car.

Also not sure how much the black headliner on the cream takes away from the spaciousness. I typically love a black headliner.
If it does, I might as well get black.

• Informative
I did a ceramic coat internally (as well as externally). Protects everything, and not just the seats. Will have to be reapplied eventually, but ceramic works as a great protector.
That's good to know. Glad to hear that works. I guess that after 3 years and not having any trouble with the internal trim, I'll just pass on doing it since it was not recommended for the product I use. As for the seats, I reapplied recently after 3 years. It sure has saved me on a few occasions from kid mistakes.