Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Create a “I’m a Tesla” web campain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About Tesla's buggy beta software and constant crashes.

Full disclosure: I've had my Model 3 LR RWD for 13 months and driven it 25,000 miles. Got my driver's license in 1978 and, at times, drove over 50,000 miles/year. Easy to say I've driven over a million miles.

In those 13 months, I've had the screen crash on me once. Went pitch black, though the car still drove as if nothing were wrong. On two occasions, the car has not unlocked via my phone and I've had to dig out my key card. Once, I couldn't get the charging port to unlock and had to use the manual cable. *That's it*.

Now. Let's compare it to the ICE cars I've had.

There's the 02 Camry that was replaced by my Tesla. Very reliable except that it went through FOUR catalytic converters in 225,000 miles (in 12 years) at $1000 each. Then there was the dealership, 5 months after I bought it, when I lost a serpentine belt. They tried to tack on $2,500 in unneeded repairs. I call it "attempted robbery by fraud".

There was my 94 Intrepid that cracked a radiator in the middle of The Bronx in July. JiffyLube induced a fuel line leak when I needed a fuel filter change. Car had to go when the switches on the dashboard started to go - like the light switch, forcing me to hold the high-beam stalk all the way home.

There was the 87 Plymouth Voyager that lost a fuel pump system in Quebec just as we'd crossed into a drive-through animal reserve.

And, oh, I loved that 85 Chrysler Laser Turbo XT (think Dodge Daytona clone). The dealership piled on thousands of worthless extra trim that blew off in a windstorm. The camshaft wriggled loose. When the MAP sensor went, that was kinda 'normal' but having the bracket that the seat was bolted on to suddenly break and turn the driver's seat into a La-z-boy recliner was a HUGE surprise.

There was the clutch cable that snapped on my 81 Dodge Omni O24 (and, another time, had to replace the clutch plate and pressure pad), the distributor cap on my wife's 89 LeMans that had to be replaced every year because it kept cracking, the 78 Chevy Caprice Classic that had the carbuerator that invited rocks and a sunroof that wouldn't close (when the car was 2 years old)....

And how could I ever forget my 89 Old Toronado Trofeo? I had a 6 month odyssey with this brand new car that was virtually undriveable and had the dealership refusing to honor the basic warranty AND the 5 year 100K ZERO DEDUCTIBLE warranty that I bought. AND THEY PUT THAT IN WRITING - TWICE (because they used the wrong letterhead the first time!). Turns out a wiring harness was too close to the exhaust manifold, resulting in melted wires INCLUDING data leads to the car computer - meaning they couldn't get a code from it and their "mechanics" could do NOTHING without a code.

If course there was the Fiat with wiring screwed up so that it burned through a coil ever couple of weeks and the clock drained the battery... The Ventura with the cracked water pump.

Oh, and you haven't had an adventure until you're taking the kids on a trip to Florida in an RV (Ford 460 engine/chassis) and you burn a valve in South Carolina - resulting in you having to rent a car, pile all the clothes in the trunk, go to Wal Mart for luggage when you get there (because you didn't need luggage in the RV) and TRY to enjoy your vacation while wondering what the bill is going to be to get the RV out of hock on the way back. ($1000 and on the way back, some vacuum line goes nuts turning the driving experience into a video game - all on or all off)

Do you notice something about all these stories? Look close.....

NONE of the parts that I'm talking about in ANY of the above (with the exception of the seat bracket) even EXIST on a Tesla. Eventually, my Model 3 will need a headlight replacement, suspension parts or tires.. And someday I might even have to have a brake job.

I'll take the Tesla EVERY day of the week and twice on Sunday.