Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding Second Driver - Web Link Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!

I’m trying to add my wife to my Tesla Model Y through her own Tesla app. She downloaded the app, created her account but when she clicks on the link on the Tesla webpage nothing happens. The webpage that pops up is the one from my invite through my Tesla app “Add Driver”.

The web page basically reloads and nothing else happens.

I’m not sure what is happening so is there another way to do this?

Its been a long time since I did what you are talking about doing (adding my wife as a driver to both our vehicles), so I dont remember the exact workflow, and Tesla changes stuff all the time.

With that being said, the description you are using is confusing to me. You say your wife created a tesla account and downloaded the Tesla app, but you dont say she actually logged into the Tesla app on her smartphone. You also say "click the link on the webpage", but what I remember is "add driver" sends an email to the person, that they should open "on the smartphone that they already have the tesla app on".

I am not understanding "clicking on web page" since it should have sent your wife an email, and that email should be opened on the smartphone she already is logged into a tesla app on, which should then allow you to continue / complete the process.

Upvote 0
Its been a long time since I did what you are talking about doing (adding my wife as a driver to both our vehicles), so I dont remember the exact workflow, and Tesla changes stuff all the time.

With that being said, the description you are using is confusing to me. You say your wife created a tesla account and downloaded the Tesla app, but you dont say she actually logged into the Tesla app on her smartphone. You also say "click the link on the webpage", but what I remember is "add driver" sends an email to the person, that they should open "on the smartphone that they already have the tesla app on".

I am not understanding "clicking on web page" since it should have sent your wife an email, and that email should be opened on the smartphone she already is logged into a tesla app on, which should then allow you to continue / complete the process.
Sorry, should have explained better. She has downloaded the app, created an account and has signed in on her iPhone app.

The new way to add a driver is a text message is sent with a Tesla webpage. The webpage says to download the app, create an account, and then click on a blue button link on the webpage.

When we click on the link, nothing happens.

Upvote 0
Sorry, should have explained better. She has downloaded the app, created an account and has signed in on her iPhone app.

The new way to add a driver is a text message is sent with a Tesla webpage. The webpage says to download the app, create an account, and then click on a blue button link on the webpage.

When we click on the link, nothing happens.

You clicked the link in the Text message, on your wifes phone, after she downloaded the app, logged in, etc, correct? What I mean is, you are not going to the same browser instance you had open before, but you are having her click the link in the text message after she has the app on her phone and is signed in?

Upvote 0
Correct, she has downloaded and signed into her Tesla account in her Tesla app on her phone. I then even cancelled the first invite and sent a new one.

She receives the text message, clicks it, it opens a Tesla webpage and there is a link on the webpage you need to click. We click it but the webpage simply refreshes. I’m assuming it’s supposed to start a prompt to the Tesla app to continue the process but it appears to be broken.

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue and this is what worked for me.
1. Created the new drver invite link from owner's Tesla mobile app. And send it to the new driver's mobile
2. On the mobile of the new driver, install the TESLA app. Create a user account for the new driver
3. On the laptop open tesla.com, and sign in with the new driver's tesla user ID and password. Click on the icon of the userr at the top right corner
4. Under the profile settings, look for the address. THe address in my case for the new driver was blank. So I added the address.
5. Then go to the new driver's mobile and click on the link that is sent by the owner.
6. And you get a prompt, vehicle has been added to the new driver.

So the key in my case is to add the address for the new driver on the tesla.com signing in as the new driver.

Reactions: VipinLJ
Upvote 0