Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Create trip, no supercharger option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RDoc

2021 Prerefresh Model S
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
Didn't there used to be an option on the menu when creating a new trip that displayed all the superchargers as candidate destinations?

From what I can see, hitting the lightening bolt on the map overlay at the bottom right will bring up a list of a few Superchargers the car somehow determines are worthy of your notice and a longer grab bag of other possible charging destinations. The list of Superchargers is not complete and seems to mostly be nearby ones, which is pretty useless. Why not have a list of all Superchargers sortable by distance or name?

I seem to remember this being an option previously. In any case, I'd like such a list.

With the 8.0 nav software, it doesn't seem to handle short road trips very well.

The trip planner tends to be optimistic on range, so it thinks we don't need to stop at a supercharger on the trip. And as we are driving, and the nav software thinks we are at risk of running out of charge before our destination, rather than adding a supercharger (that's on the route already), it starts asking us to slow down to stretch out the charge to reach our final destination.

So what we end up doing is manually setting the supercharger as a destination - and then re-entering our final destination once we are at the charger.

This type of problem is yet another example of the inadequacies of Tesla's internal and beta testing. Surely this problem could have been detected by beta testers (if not internal testers) and fixed before the release was distributed...

Tesla really needs to open up their beta program - and get more Tesla owners involved - especially those of us used to software testing and able to provide more thorough testing and higher quality feedback, before the software is distributed to the rest of the cars...

With the 8.0 nav software, it doesn't seem to handle short road trips very well.

The trip planner tends to be optimistic on range, so it thinks we don't need to stop at a supercharger on the trip. And as we are driving, and the nav software thinks we are at risk of running out of charge before our destination, rather than adding a supercharger (that's on the route already), it starts asking us to slow down to stretch out the charge to reach our final destination.

So what we end up doing is manually setting the supercharger as a destination - and then re-entering our final destination once we are at the charger.

This type of problem is yet another example of the inadequacies of Tesla's internal and beta testing. Surely this problem could have been detected by beta testers (if not internal testers) and fixed before the release was distributed...

Tesla really needs to open up their beta program - and get more Tesla owners involved - especially those of us used to software testing and able to provide more thorough testing and higher quality feedback, before the software is distributed to the rest of the cars...
Yes, that's exactly what I'd like to do, enter a Supercharger as a destination. As I recall, there used to be a way to get a list of all Superchargers that could be used as destination. That capability seems to have vanished.

I'm pretty sure you can search for a supercharger by name and set it as a destination regardless of whether it's in the lightning list

The chargers under the lightning bolt are the ones it believes you can reach with your current charge, which makes perfect sense to me for that list.

I telephoned Tesla support shortly after this new and improved navigation screen appeared. I essentially told the operator the same thing. It lists Superchargers in the order of increasing distance from my location. If I want to drive south, then east, I do not need to see the Superchargers that are north and west of me. This is horrible logic. Furthermore, I do not have the right touch to manipulate the &%$#@* screen to change the view to see the Supercharger that I want to reach. Furthermore the distances are as the crow flies instead of road miles; accordingly, Mammoth Lakes is fourth on the list, but several stops away because of that giant hunk of granite due east of me.

I suggested that we be able to filter the results by highway and/or direction. That way, if I want to reach Mojave, for example, I will not see Harris Ranch, Manteca, Fish Camp, Fresno, Atascadero, Gilroy, Buellton, Seaside/Monterey, Dublin, Mammoth Lakes, and the rest that have no bearing on reaching Mojave.

She said that I was not the first owner to point out this weakness.

What are they thinking?

What we've been doing (which is a step backward from 7.x).

We'll enter our route for our final destination - and then begin monitoring the projected charge at destination. Since the route assumes no SCs will be used, the charge at destination is pretty low.

As that drops, we've been getting warnings that we have to slow down in order to reach our destination - instead of the nav software automatically shifting to the intermediate SC.

At some point, we'll get tired of the warnings, and then clock on the SC icon on the map - and select that as our new destination, which gets rid of the "slow down" nags. And right before we hit the SC, we'll re-enter our original destination, so we can monitor projected charge at destination while charging.

8.0 was a step backward, at least for trips where you might be able to stretch your charge to reach the final destination without stopping at an SC, even if that means you have to slow down (a lot) to make it. [Could this be intentional, to encourage drivers to drive slower and use the SCs less???]

I'm pretty sure you can search for a supercharger by name and set it as a destination regardless of whether it's in the lightning list

The chargers under the lightning bolt are the ones it believes you can reach with your current charge, which makes perfect sense to me for that list.
Yes, if you key it in using the keypad and the updating list that appears generally doesn't include superchargers.

This list of chargers is definitely not based on what you can reach. I'm not sure what the criteria is, but it's not that.

What is so hard about just listing all the supercharges with an option for distance (by road) or name? IMHO this is just another software UI fail.

When I have less charge, I get a shorter list, and only closer locations - which made me think it is based on what locations the car believes it can reach. What makes you think this isn't the case?
I was looking for a Supercharger I knew was at the edge of the range, but still within it, and it didn't show that one while it did show other stations that were definitely out of range.
In any event, why not show all of them for trip planning purposes?