Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creeping mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. I just got my model y long range 2024. Is there a way to put the car in creeping mode ? Coming from a traditional ice car, I'm finding it challenging to back the car out. Also to dial in a parking spot going forward some inches can be tricky. I get worried I'm going to slam into the wall in front. I'm assuming that I will get used to this

Hey guys. I just got my model y long range 2024. Is there a way to put the car in creeping mode ? Coming from a traditional ice car, I'm finding it challenging to back the car out. Also to dial in a parking spot going forward some inches can be tricky. I get worried I'm going to slam into the wall in front. I'm assuming that I will get used to this
The EPA changed rules on how mileage is calculated, and Tesla removed the option to turn off/down regen braking so that the EPA numbers would be better.

Learn to lift your foot, not remove it.

The EPA changed rules on how mileage is calculated, and Tesla removed the option to turn off/down regen braking so that the EPA numbers would be better.

Learn to lift your foot, not remove it.
Thanks. That's what I was kinda guessing that they did it to get better mileage numbers. Hopefully they bring this mode back. Anybody know what model years are affected aside from 2024?

So without creep mode, what do you guys do when you want to move your car forward or backward like 2-3 inches (say, in your garage, or with two cars in the driveway)?
I touch the accelerator very very carefully. Unlike many ICE vehicles, Tesla EV have a very linear power delivery with respect to pedal position. Many ICE vehicles are tuned to "feel powerful" by making the first 10-20% of pedal travel provide 50% or more of the available horsepower.

So without creep mode, what do you guys do when you want to move your car forward or backward like 2-3 inches (say, in your garage, or with two cars in the driveway)?
I went from an ICE into my MYP as my first EV and have never actually used creep mode. I found it pretty easy to modulate the accelerator pedal to get the car from stop to a creeping speed. I guess the key with an EV accelerator pedal is a light touch, both pressing and lifting.

Reactions: Hellpops
I find the mode flexibility on my 10 year old Chevy Volt far preferable to the limited choices on my 2024 MY. The Volt creeps, and can be set to either regen strongly with throttle liftoff, or to regen lightly until pressing the brake pedal, which brings in stronger regen... and then the friction brakes come into play only under very hard braking. (At 75k miles the brakes pads look new). The ergonomics on the Volt are much worse than on those on an old Volvo (because of the Volt's reliance on touch panels and touch screens). But the MY is strikingly worse yet. I am starting to think "What was I thinking when I bought this thing? "

In Georgia (and many other states in the US) holding a cell phone while driving is illegal. The Tesla MY screen is far more distracting than a cell phone -- by about one order of magnitude.

Fortunately, some other auto manufacturers are now backing away from the big screen fad, statistics having shown that they make cars more dangerous. The Mercedes EQB 300 that I test drove when considering the Tesla is a parsec ahead of the Tesla in ergonomics, and has two small unobtrusive screens, neither of which ever must be touched -- but can be if a driver likes to do such things. I had only one quick question about its controls for the sales person. The Merc, of course, handled better, rode better and had far better steering feel than a MY, but the striking thing was that I could get in, adjust everything easily, with no thought given to how the heck do I do this or that, all of it intuitive and designed with human factors in mind. But I am digressing and whining.

I believe that when I took delivery a few days ago, I could select creep on the MY. Now I can't find the option.
Where I find the failure to creep most dangerous is in parking lots where I cannot see moving cars or pedestrians until backing out quite a bit. With a foot on the brake pedal, one can instantly stop with far better reliability and certainty than regen provides.