Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Park/anti roll away feature stops car when creeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my model 3 with creep mode enabled.

Far too often (probably 2-10 times/week), when I’m creeping in drive or reverse in my driveway, the car will beep and put the car into park and I get this message:

”Vehicle is automatically put into park to prevent rollaway”

How does the car determine when it thinks the car is actually rolling away? I would think the driver seat sensor would know I’m still driving and in control…or is this something that is malfunctioning?

Thanks in advance

Has the anti rollaway been a feature from the beginning or was this rolled out in a software upgrade? I always assumed it was part of a recent upgrade because I had never had this happen until fairly recently. But I’m starting to think you are correct and it’s a seat sensor issue.
I am fairly certain that when I bought my model 3P in Dec 2018 and was using creep mode because I was scared of roll mode, I experienced a couple times of the car putting itself into park like you describe.

I am almost positive I didnt have my seatbelt on when those happened, as I used to get in my ICE cars, start them start backing up and put my seatbelt on while backing up. I broke that habit and started putting my seatbelt on before I put the car in reverse. I also stopped using creep mode after about 3 weeks of ownership and have not tried it since.

Gotta be honest... I can't fathom why anyone would prefer creep mode to hold mode. Maybe it is because I drove manual transmission cars most of my life...

Probably (why you cant fathom it). I know how to drive manual transmission cars, and hold mode did not exist when I got my car. Creep simulates an automatic transmission vehicle, which is what most people at this point are used to. I switched to roll, after about a couple of weeks of ownership.

I dont use hold mode because I very specifically do NOT want 1 pedal driving. I dont want to re wire my brain away from using a brake pedal, for when I might need to use a non 1 pedal drive vehicle. I use regen braking of course, and i like strong regen braking, but I want to keep the final act of stopping the vehicle wired to the brake pedal, in my head.

Roll mode requires pressing the accelerator pedal to make the car move, gives full regen thats available at the time, etc, it just doesnt bring the car to a complete stop when you regen brake down to like 5-6MPH or something. that last "fully stop moving" requires pressing the brake, which I find enough to keep my muscle memory where I want it on that topic.

Gotta be honest... I can't fathom why anyone would prefer creep mode to hold mode. Maybe it is because I drove manual transmission cars most of my life...
I hear you. My last manual transmission car was my VW Corrado, which I sold in 1995.

Ever, since, I’ve gotten used to how automatics are always in creep mode, so to speak.

It’s just a different expectation of what happens when you take your foot off the brake.

Probably (why you cant fathom it). I know how to drive manual transmission cars, and hold mode did not exist when I got my car. Creep simulates an automatic transmission vehicle, which is what most people at this point are used to. I switched to roll, after about a couple of weeks of ownership.

I dont use hold mode because I very specifically do NOT want 1 pedal driving. I dont want to re wire my brain away from using a brake pedal, for when I might need to use a non 1 pedal drive vehicle. I use regen braking of course, and i like strong regen braking, but I want to keep the final act of stopping the vehicle wired to the brake pedal, in my head.

Roll mode requires pressing the accelerator pedal to make the car move, gives full regen thats available at the time, etc, it just doesnt bring the car to a complete stop when you regen brake down to like 5-6MPH or something. that last "fully stop moving" requires pressing the brake, which I find enough to keep my muscle memory where I want it on that topic.
How often do you drive an ICE vehicle? I have a Landcruiser that I drive once every few weeks and after 4 years of having the Tesla as my daily driver of, I’ve never not ‘remembered’ to hit the brakes to stop the LC.

I do recall sometimes thinking it’s an odd sensation that the brakes aren’t automatically applied like full regenerative Tesla braking, but that is mostly when I take my foot off the gas and not when trying to slow the car down.

Don’t ask me if I’ve ever turned my windshield wipers on in the Landcruiser when I want to drive however 🤣

Previous posts on this issues usually happened because the driver lifted his weight off their seat. They were reaching for something of turning their body to look out the side or rear view window. Lifting your butt will result in the car stopping abruptly. Often was happening in a car wash.

Previous posts on this issues usually happened because the driver lifted his weight off their seat. They were reaching for something of turning their body to look out the side or rear view window. Lifting your butt will result in the car stopping abruptly. Often was happening in a car wash.
Now the hat I’m actively looking for it…it hasn’t happened. The thing that made me think it’s either a new feature (which apparently it’s not) or a defective seat sensor, is because I’ve never had this happen until recently (past 3 months?) and I haven’t changed my back up driving style.

Hey I just fixed this on my car. It's the seat occupancy sensor. You can go into the service menu and see it not working. Go to safety and restrains then seats. Tap the driver's seat and it should say occupied when you are sitting, unoccupied when not. It's only $12 from Tesla. I changed it myself.

1099592-00-F

If you get in your car without hitting the brake or putting your seatbelt on you will also notice the screen turns off. It's because the car doesn't know you are there.

If you put your seatbelt on it overrides the seat sensor and the car works like normal.

• Informative
Reactions: man0fsteel and KenC
This shouldn't happen with your seatbelt on. If it is, likely a seat sensor problem.

If your seatbelt is not on, put your seatbelt on and the problem will go away.
Thanks - today it happened and I did not have my seatbelt on. It was while I was reversing out of a parking spot and I turned backwards to look and that's when it happened. But it's still odd this had never happened in 4+ years until a few months ago.

Thanks - today it happened and I did not have my seatbelt on. It was while I was reversing out of a parking spot and I turned backwards to look and that's when it happened. But it's still odd this had never happened in 4+ years until a few months ago.
You could have a seat sensor failing or becoming more sensitive with age. When the seatbelt is buckled this safety feature isn’t active.

If your seatbelt is off and the seat sensor thinks you’ve left the seat while the vehicle is moving slowly (often happens when you shift your weight to look behind), the car applies the brakes and puts it in park.

Solution: buckle seatbelt when moving.