Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross climate 2 vs pilot sport 4 AS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to put my all seasons on my car. And it’s time to get a new set. I have a 2014 P85D. In the past I’ve always gone with the pilot sports. I drive my car hard and fast. I’ve heard really good things about the cross climates but can anyone with a PERFORNCE model S give any insight to how well it handles? They’re more expensive then. The pilot sports but also have a higher tread warranty. That all being said is rather sacrifice that if the pilot sports have much better handling.

Suggest you go to TireRack.com. You can compare the two tires directly, as I am also interested in these two tires for my 2020 S. It compares ratings for wet and dry braking, holding, snow , rain, etc. I tried to make a PDF, but it is not very readable.

CC2 for wet/snow/efficiency/ride
PSAS4 for dry performance

I rarely see people bashing the CC2, but they're mostly singing their praises for wet/snow traction. I read one negative review on a BMW that said they were more boring than the MXM4. That's a low blow as the MXM4 was a real snoozer. I think you'd be disappointed with the CC2 given your desire for good handling. Maybe this could be mitigated with 20" wheels, but if you're not planning on a wheel change as well, I'd stick with the AS4 or DWS06+.

With the CCS2, you take a hit in the Tesla's Range. However, I would look very closely at the CCS2 if I lived in Washington and did not have dedicated snow tires. They are superior in wet and snow conditions, like Washington. The MXM4 may have slightly better dry and summer performance, but it cannot equal the CCS2 in wet and snow performance.

Reactions: kazamm
Between the two, CCS2 lasts longer.

But, any new tires with pretty much barely any wear will always have good handling. Wait until you're at 50-75% tread wear, you'll notice the minute differences. Although, thinking about that, you will probably just replace the tires again at that point again.

With the CCS2, you take a hit in the Tesla's Range. However, I would look very closely at the CCS2 if I lived in Washington and did not have dedicated snow tires. They are superior in wet and snow conditions, like Washington. The MXM4 may have slightly better dry and summer performance, but it cannot equal the CCS2 in wet and snow performance.
I have dedicated shows

CC2 for wet/snow/efficiency/ride
PSAS4 for dry performance

I rarely see people bashing the CC2, but they're mostly singing their praises for wet/snow traction. I read one negative review on a BMW that said they were more boring than the MXM4. That's a low blow as the MXM4 was a real snoozer. I think you'd be disappointed with the CC2 given your desire for good handling. Maybe this could be mitigated with 20" wheels, but if you're not planning on a wheel change as well, I'd stick with the AS4 or DWS06+.
Thank you for this. Agree with you on the mxm4. They suck! I for sure have a lead foot and press hard into corners.

I wish CCS2 fit the '22 MSLR :( They're by far my favorite tires (had them in my 11 year lexus rx and they made a huge diff)

Reactions: MikeHawk
With a 2013 MS85 and generally not being a very spirited driver, I can't speak to your performance and handling concerns but I've had CC2s on my car for well over a year now and have not noticed any discernible impact on range/efficiency.