Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello forum people I'm a new Tesla Model 3 owner and would love to get your feedback on the cruise control. I've just had the first 6 days of my first road trip and all sorts of weird things are happening with the cruise control. Randomly, when I'm over taking a truck, the cruise control brakes heavily as I'm about the cabin point, which is super dangerous and pretty scary. It's also taken to breaking really heavily if there's a cyclist on the side of the road and if it identifies a car coming in from the left-hand side that's not yet moved. Is anyone else having these sorts of issues?

I just completed a 1700 mile trip and didn't have any issues with breaking when overtaking Semi trucks.

I have noticed that the visualizations when passing a truck are very erratic compared to past software versions. I don't know if the visualizations that we see on the screen are representative of what the AP is actually seeing and responding to but it didn't seem to care that trucks often would be apparently coming across into my lane on the screen display not actually changing position in their lane. The other think I noticed is when in let hand lane of a 3 lane highway and a truck in the far right, the screen doesn't display the truck but often as passing it the truck will appear to jump into the middle lane next to you even thought they never moved from the far right lane. Tesla definitely needs to work on this issue. I had a truck jump from right lane into the middle right on top of a car that was next to me on screen a couple times.

I did notice AP slowed as I approached a bicyclist that was on the right shoulder of a 2 way road and there was a car coming from the other direction.

Other thing to check is in your settings for the regen breaking if it is set to Standard or Low . If it is in Standard then any lift from acceleration will make it seem like the car is breaking hard. Low will give you a more "normal" coasting feeling that you are probably use to in an ICE vehicle.

Reactions: XLR82XS
Hello forum people I'm a new Tesla Model 3 owner and would love to get your feedback on the cruise control. I've just had the first 6 days of my first road trip and all sorts of weird things are happening with the cruise control. Randomly, when I'm over taking a truck, the cruise control brakes heavily as I'm about the cabin point, which is super dangerous and pretty scary. It's also taken to breaking really heavily if there's a cyclist on the side of the road and if it identifies a car coming in from the left-hand side that's not yet moved. Is anyone else having these sorts of issues?

plenty of discussions on TACC here. TACC phantom braking issues are well known. Please use with caution.

On 32.12.2 here, and I’ve noticed the car braking when about to pass a semi on a curvy section of freeway. It seems the computer is struggling to figure out whether the truck is in our lane or not. A similar pass on a straight section works great.

It must be that individual cars respond differently though they have the same software updates. After the v10 update my car’s TACC reverted back to how it did prior to the last v9 update. Immediately prior to v10 there was no delayed acceleration from full stop, phantom braking, erratic slowing or FOTT(fear of tractor-trailers). After v10 all that undesirable behavior has returned.