Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curbed my 3. Underside scratched up. Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisH

Jun 4, 2013
Milton, wa
So I curbed my 3 today. I *think* (hope) that the damage is limited to the plastic piece/metal piece that includes the jack points but I need to look in daylight to inspect further.

Car drove 25+ miles after the curbing and seems okay but I’m wondering what you guys think.

Sorry for the mediocre pics.

Will I have to worry about rust on the piece that includes the jackpoint?

Does it look like the plastic piece got pierced? What’s under that piece?

1238kjn.jpg

2zjerr8.jpg

Without more detail, I can't say. It's tough to tell from the pictures what/where is damaged, but it looks minor. Generally speaking, the bottom of cars are pretty resilient. Unless there is a major gouge, I wouldn't worry too much, but a Tesla SC can provide peace of mind. When I hear "curbing", I think of a rim hitting a curb, JFYI.

Without more detail, I can't say. It's tough to tell from the pictures what/where is damaged, but it looks minor. Generally speaking, the bottom of cars are pretty resilient. Unless there is a major gouge, I wouldn't worry too much, but a Tesla SC can provide peace of mind. When I hear "curbing", I think of a rim hitting a curb, JFYI.

I was thinking the same thing. This I would associate more with bottoming out. I would probably have service look at it just to be sure.

Yeah I didn’t know what else to call it because the car caught on a curb starting at about the front of the back door and I ended up driving over it with the back rear tire.

It was a coffee stand drive thru that had a really long traffic control curb that i did not see when pulling out of the drive thru. No rim/wheel damage/rash that I can see.

The pic with the large scrape is the plastic piece on the underside of the car just below/behind the lowest painted piece under the door. There’s that large scrape all the way back to the rear right wheel. The second pic shows the right rear jack point hole. That metal piece extends the entire length between the two wheels (front and back on both sides) and is the next piece toward the center underneath the car (the plastic piece that is scraped up it the outermost piece). The battery is the next part on the inner side of the jack point. I’m hoping that the battery itself is recessed enough that the metal and plastic pieces saved it from any damage.

Reactions: Snerruc
Stuff like this makes me miss the SAS on our Model S. I was thinking of holding out for the AWD and SAS on the Model 3 but come this past June just didn't want to wait any longer and at least have the AWD option. I really loved the geofencing of SAS.

Stuff like this makes me miss the SAS on our Model S. I was thinking of holding out for the AWD and SAS on the Model 3 but come this past June just didn't want to wait any longer and at least have the AWD option. I really loved the geofencing of SAS.

He was in a drive-thru coffee shop and went over the curb. I doubt SAS would've helped unless you expected to not be able to navigate the curbs (not likely). Typically in this situation rim damage is more common than underside, which SAS wouldn't help.

Reactions: skitown
Yeah I didn’t know what else to call it because the car caught on a curb starting at about the front of the back door and I ended up driving over it with the back rear tire.

It was a coffee stand drive thru that had a really long traffic control curb that i did not see when pulling out of the drive thru. No rim/wheel damage/rash that I can see.

The pic with the large scrape is the plastic piece on the underside of the car just below/behind the lowest painted piece under the door. There’s that large scrape all the way back to the rear right wheel. The second pic shows the right rear jack point hole. That metal piece extends the entire length between the two wheels (front and back on both sides) and is the next piece toward the center underneath the car (the plastic piece that is scraped up it the outermost piece). The battery is the next part on the inner side of the jack point. I’m hoping that the battery itself is recessed enough that the metal and plastic pieces saved it from any damage.

That helps. Given it was relatively low speed and under the door, I wouldn't worry. It doesn't look bad and fortunately it's not visible without being under the car. Really, it doesn't look too bad, but you can get better certainty of that from the Tesla SC. Good luck, but I wouldn't worry too much.

He was in a drive-thru coffee shop and went over the curb. I doubt SAS would've helped unless you expected to not be able to navigate the curbs (not likely). Typically in this situation rim damage is more common than underside, which SAS wouldn't help.

IMHO...he was simply impatient. I believe if he could go back and do it again....he would have just waited for the right opportunity to go where he wanted to go.

IMHO...he was simply impatient. I believe if he could go back and do it again....he would have just waited for the right opportunity to go where he wanted to go.

Lol your posts are hilarious sometimes. This was a case of I literally did not see the curb. It’s an odd intersection. The yellow route is the turn out of the drive thru and the red circled area is where I hit.

fxtdv6.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
That helps. Given it was relatively low speed and under the door, I wouldn't worry. It doesn't look bad and fortunately it's not visible without being under the car. Really, it doesn't look too bad, but you can get better certainty of that from the Tesla SC. Good luck, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks. I hope you are right. I’m a bit freaked out. Hoping the black metal piece that the jack point is on is not also part of the battery cover in any way.

Looks like I will hopefully be able to get in on the 8th.

Lol your posts are hilarious sometimes. This was a case of I literally did not see the curb. It’s an odd intersection. The yellow route is the turn out of the drive thru and the red circled area is where I hit.

fxtdv6.jpg

Oh...I'm sorry. I misread your original post.

My apologies to you. I stand corrected.

Everyone....I missed this one - the OP is correct in correcting me.

Picture taken hrs before incident. Tire rolled over tree stump and onto jack point on rear passenger. Amazingly only minor scuffing near jack point. I backed up at night didn't see stump on downhill slant. After getting home I buffed it out even though no one could see it without looking underneath. No problems with car as a result of my stupidity.
20180908_163828.jpg

Picture taken hrs before incident. Tire rolled over tree stump and onto jack point on rear passenger. Amazingly only minor scuffing near jack point. I backed up at night didn't see stump on downhill slant. After getting home I buffed it out even though no one could see it without looking underneath. No problems with car as a result of my stupidity. View attachment 364769

Good deal. Looks nice from above.

My car's jack points were all scratched up at delivery. I asked Service Center to touch-up the black paint but they said it wouldn't rust and thus wasn't necessary.

Good to know. I can’t seem to find what that metal piece with the jack points is called. I’m hoping it is technically not a part of the battery/battery cover. If it’s not, I think I may only have cosmetic damage. Also hoping my wheel, and any of the rear suspension, arm, etc are not damaged/cracked.