Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious to know how many of you had paint issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I got my vehicle back from the detailer a couple of days ago with a brand new full front-end clear bra and he said,

1) Tesla's paint is way too soft
2) He found so many paint defects. Specifically, he said there was a lot of dirt under the clear coat between the pain that he couldn't get out.
3) Tesla way over-buffed the vehicles before delivery
4) Many hard grits embedded in the clear coat
5) They also said that they've done about 10 other model 3 details and all have had similar issues

At least I got my full bra on now so I won't have to worry as much, but in my 30 years of driving, I've never heard of so many paint related issues, but it sounds like after they paint the vehicles, they don't use a contaminent free area to apply the clear-coat. Maybe they do it in their tent...lol

I pretty much have imperfections in nearly every panel... no exaggeration :-/ My service advisor is sending my car to a body shop for a few days to correct the paint. Just like you say it looks like they sprayed the car with grit/contaminants that got stuck under the paint/clear coat. Worried it'll look worse

I believe mine has paint issues too. At first I thought those were greasy spots like sweat or something, but they're still there after two car washes. Have an appointment with tesla nest week to figure it out:

MVIMG_20180822_120634.jpg

My Pearl White has quite a few debris inclusions. They're nearly impossible to see from further than 24" but they're still there...

Paint is not Tesla's strong suite ATM. Demand repairs and inspect closely on pickup.

Plenty of issues with my MSM VIN 69K range August build. Fish eye, dust nibs. The rework just introduced different issues. Not all that happy of a camper with fit and finish, but still a decent car... Still would rather drive it than most ICE cars in the price range.

Reactions: Remonster
The paint on my pearl white 3 feels gritty if you wipe your finger on it, I don't think I have ever bought a new car that had paint this bad. My Nissan Titans paint even looked great at first but it didn't last, that truck had seriously thin paint, even where it was never touched it just kinda disintegrated. With all the issues the model 3 has with paint, I'm worried it will not hold up better than that trucks disaster of a paint job.

After I clayed and polished my Dad's 13 year old dodge tuck that has never been even waxed, I can tell for sure his paint is much smoother than my brand new 3. I was thinking I need to clay and polish the 3 before I get PPT applied... I wonder how long I need to wait on polishing after it gets back from the body shop to have the paint fixed on 4 panels...

Swirl marks. I'm hesitant to do any polishing on something so new. Any recommendations?
Might as well polish it, polishing pad and https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G19...6338&sr=8-1&keywords=meguiars+ultimate+polish

I can't think of another way to remove swirl marks.

Last edited:
I was given a VIN and I was told it was already at my service center, but I'm waiting on my funding to clear. I went to take a look at it since it's close by and there is a black spot in the paint under the clear. It's located right above the driver's door window. It's almost as if it was a bubble and it never got fixed.

I'm wondering if I should refuse delivery or try to get it fixed? I'm sure they would have to repaint it, but red could be difficult to match. I wonder if I could get another car since it's not fully paid for.

Attachments

• 20181108_140239_1541708278192.jpg
    20181108_140239_1541708278192.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 54
I was given a VIN and I was told it was already at my service center, but I'm waiting on my funding to clear. I went to take a look at it since it's close by and there is a black spot in the paint under the clear. It's located right above the driver's door window. It's almost as if it was a bubble and it never got fixed.

I'm wondering if I should refuse delivery or try to get it fixed? I'm sure they would have to repaint it, but red could be difficult to match. I wonder if I could get another car since it's not fully paid for.

If that is the only problem, I wouldn’t refuse delivery. But that is for sure a repaint. The good news though is that there are no adjacent panels, so any mismatch would not be noticeable unless it was completely off.