Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Solar Roof Wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like they need to get the approval from Orange County Fire Authority even before applying for the city permit. But they still dont have the approval and are following up with them. I am not sure why when others can do it.
Every agency has its own policies to work through. And the solar roof raises a lot of red flags for fire departments since the may have to work on it to put out a fire.

We were visited several times by local engine companies who wanted to take a look at the roof and get an idea of what it would be like to walk on it. We were eager for them to do so. I also directed them to the firefighter videos on YouTube that addressed things like walking on the roof and tearing it up to ventilate.

• Love
Reactions: MikeBur
I ordered ours on Oct 29th. No updates at all yet. I called our project advisor a few times and it's always the same answer- "we're waiting on the designer to get back with their proposal for your roof line".

She said it would take a month or two for this to be completed, then it'll go to permit, and we can review the installation schedule.

This is in the Bay Area where she said waits are quite long due to demand.

I ordered ours on Oct 29th. No updates at all yet. I called our project advisor a few times and it's always the same answer- "we're waiting on the designer to get back with their proposal for your roof line".

She said it would take a month or two for this to be completed, then it'll go to permit, and we can review the installation schedule.

This is in the Bay Area where she said waits are quite long due to demand.
We started the process in late October last year. Took until early December to get back to us with a proposal. We selected the larger option. They started construction in early March. Completed in early April.

I am over the hill in the Tri-Valley.

We started the process in late October last year. Took until early December to get back to us with a proposal. We selected the larger option. They started construction in early March. Completed in early April.

I am over the hill in the Tri-Valley.

Wow. How do you like it? Have you had any issues with it? The impetus for us is our old roof was found to be leaking when TSLA came out to install a solar panel setup in September. And our HOA won't let us replace it with shingles so the solar roof clocks in at about the same price as tiles + panels. So Im praying things hold out this winter until TSLA gets their act together.

Wow. How do you like it? Have you had any issues with it? The impetus for us is our old roof was found to be leaking when TSLA came out to install a solar panel setup in September. And our HOA won't let us replace it with shingles so the solar roof clocks in at about the same price as tiles + panels. So Im praying things hold out this winter until TSLA gets their act together.

In a few words, we love the Solar Roof and Powerwalls.

We also wanted a new roof. In our case, there were no leaks, but the lightweight tiles were very brittle and fracturing so it was only a matter of time before we started having problems. And they looked ugly since the company that made the tile (and the installer) went out of business years ago and we had to replace broken ones with something that did not look the same. Also being out of business meant the "lifetime" warranty was worthless.

We almost replaced the roof with one from Petersendean (now in bankruptcy - roofing companies :-<) and solar panels on top of that. But it turned out the Solar roof was, as you know, cheaper. Plus Tesla gave us a $2,500 discount on the Powerwalls.

We documented our install in this document if you are interested. Feel free to PM me if you want with any questions.